Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2020, 07:10 PM   #1

Apollo exhaust red hot!

I'm not able to ride my brand new Apollo yet as it was delivered damaged, throttle was broken, anyway we got the valves adjusted and the bike idles perfect now. I've been starting it and letting it warm up for 5 minutes or so then letting cool and start it again a couple times a day. Today I started it in my relatively dark garage and after 4 or 5 minutes I noticed the exhaust behind the heat shield was literally red hot. Has anyone ever had this happen before?

Old 04-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #2

When it idles it will get hotter than when you are moving. Especially at higher idles speeds. Also if you still have the catalytic converter it will get pretty hot.

Maybe put a fan on it?

Old 04-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

I hope you're not doing that often, idling in the garage. Even with a garage door open, fumes can pool in certain areas.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #4

Also I would not mess with trying to heat cycle these bikes. If you cannot ride it just let it sit until you can ride. Riding is way better to seat the rings than a steady idle with no load on the motor. In fact i would say that a steady idle is less than ideal.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #5

I have my Apollo DB36 Deluxe, it does idle a little funny, better once warmed up and still does hiccup, I bought a 6Sigma jet kit designed for the DB36 that I have not yet installed, it was $39 of Ebay, I know there is the true Mikuni carb for $50 as well as the cheaper clone, hoping the jet kit fixes the hiccup

is the valve adjustment on a new motor needed?
its a Zongshen motor I believe and I thought they were supposed to be pretty good from the factory

Old 04-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #6

Lean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alollo Dean View Post
I'm not able to ride my brand new Apollo yet as it was delivered damaged, throttle was broken, anyway we got the valves adjusted and the bike idles perfect now. I've been starting it and letting it warm up for 5 minutes or so then letting cool and start it again a couple times a day. Today I started it in my relatively dark garage and after 4 or 5 minutes I noticed the exhaust behind the heat shield was literally red hot. Has anyone ever had this happen before?
I've had that happen on a engine that was running too lean.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX250BobinTexas View Post
I have my Apollo DB36 Deluxe, it does idle a little funny, better once warmed up and still does hiccup, I bought a 6Sigma jet kit designed for the DB36 that I have not yet installed, it was $39 of Ebay, I know there is the true Mikuni carb for $50 as well as the cheaper clone, hoping the jet kit fixes the hiccup

is the valve adjustment on a new motor needed?
its a Zongshen motor I believe and I thought they were supposed to be pretty good from the factory
Yeah good call. A properly jetted carb will help reduce exhaust temps. Could be several things and each one would help as they are modified.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, some great info here. I'm definitely going to park it until my parts come in. A couple questions, with only an idle adjustment how does one adjust the lean/rich issue? A new carb? Also, A catalytic converter? Is that something that can be bypassed like I did on an older truck I had?
Thanks again.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks everyone, some great info here. I'm definitely going to park it until my parts come in. A couple questions, with only an idle adjustment how does one adjust the lean/rich issue? A new carb? Also, A catalytic converter? Is that something that can be bypassed like I did on an older truck I had?
Thanks again.
You'll need to change the jets in your carb.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
You'll need to change the jets in your carb.
Assuming it's running lean as was mentioned can anyone suggest the correct jets to rectify my problem. I appreciate any help as I'm obviously not very experienced in the mechanical department but I enjoy learning even if I am almost 58. Thanks again, Dean

Old 04-20-2020, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Assuming it's running lean as was mentioned can anyone suggest the correct jets to rectify my problem. I appreciate any help as I'm obviously not very experienced in the mechanical department but I enjoy learning even if I am almost 58. Thanks again, Dean
Depends on your elevation BUT for me living at around 600', a 110-115 main jet would do. 110 if youre running stock exhaust and I have a 115 with my aftermarket exhaust and it runs well.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #12

Here ya go. I did the stock carb and mine runs good. I did the cheap EBAY exhaust to get rid of the cat. Just search the forum for a link to that.

I did those two mods and my bike ran WAY better.

https://hawk250.com/hawk-250-tune-st...buretor-video/

Old 04-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #13

Hey dean just wanted to give you a shout that I ordered a similar apollo right control for my apollo since mine broke when bike was knocked down. It was a 7 pin not a 6 but all I did was take the 6 pin harness off of the old broken control and fit the wires matching them up for the new one. The extra seventh wire was a solid brown wire, all you have to do is strip and connect the brown wire to the solid black wire! Took me like 20 minutes of thinking and matching correct wires...and one blown fuse haha but then boom everything works and no more wiggles to my throttle controller! Good luck and let me know if you need help