Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #1

Best chrome polish & anti-rust protection fluid

As some of you may already know from my previous posts, i ride a chinese copy of 1982 Honda CM125C, powered with a generic 200cc non-balanced CG clone engine.

A bike itself is a funny reminiscence of times, when Japanese, who already held a huge slice of market with their 1970s UJMs, decided that they need to build cruisers. But, as i understand from looking at design of bikes like Honda CM, first generation Magna, or Suzuki GN, they just didn't fully understood at a time how to do that proper way, so their draftsmen got to drawing boards, started making Southpark Harley noises, and made some minor adjustments to a classic UJM design, making it a bit "chopperish" - a few degrees of rake change here, a bit of tilting the tank there, etc. And of course, using a lot of cheap chrome can't be that bad, is it? A couple of years later they got some experience, and said "Aha, that's how they do it the right way!" - and CM became CMX, or Honda Rebel, as we knew it from 1984 to 2017.

So, here we are. I live in a quite humid climate, and battling the rust on chromed parts is an ongoing, regular process. I just want my bike look hip & shiny, not like a rust bucket. Currently i'm using some swiss-made rust remover (which works great, however i have some thoughts that it's just a pimped-out WD40) and small-grain sandpaper. After that, i rub metal parts with chrome protection creamy substance from Turtle Wax. However, i can't say that i see a lot of difference before & after using that Turtle Wax thing, at least in terms of anti-rust protection, so, currently i'm in search of some substance that will be a good metal protector.

A friend told me today that a vaseline can be used for that matter, i'm curious about that and thinking about trying if i won't find any specialized fluid. Can't say i'm not a little bit edgy about asking a litre of vaseline at a pharmacy

So, any ideas on how to protect that cheap chinese chrome and non-chromed parts would be very appreciated.

Last edited by Vlad87; 08-28-2022 at 07:44 PM.