Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #1

2019 RX3 First Impressions and Ride Review

After two days and 150 miles, I think I am ready to share some initial thoughts on the RX3. First of all, this is my bike. I bought it with my own funds, I am not affiliated with any manufacturer or seller. These are my own thoughts and words. (I am open to being a tester though, so send me some stuff) That having been stated, lets dive in.
I have been riding for 30 years. I have ridden just about everything out there. I carried an AMA supersport license until my knee forced me away from sport bikes. Because of that, I “found” dual sports and adventure bikes. I had back surgery in October of 2017, this CSC RX3 is my first motorcycle since that. My previous ride was a 2012 KLR650 that was heavily modified. I had around $12,000 in it. It was not light or small. It was around 50lbs and the seat was 36.5”. No problem for me at the time, but when I sold it to pay bills because I could not work with my back, I could not even get on it or push it out. Now that I am pretty much recovered, I wanted something lighter and a little shorter. I also needed luggage. As I am still hurting from 13 months with no income, the CSC RX3 fit the bill. It also comes standard with hard luggage. I had the Apollo heated grips installed, the taller trunk box swapped out and the Zeta XC handguards installed by CSC and a wolfman tank bag sent with it. After all fees and the oversea shipping fee, SC taxes and registration, I was out right at $5000. This is less than the purchase price of my KLR by the way.
Uncrating went smoothly, as did the initial inspection. I did find the bracket for the handguard was installed over the clutch cable and the edge of the bracket had worn through the cable insulation. CSC is sending me a new cable. The back tire was also low in pressure. After installing the mirrors (do before the windshield, easier), the windshield and the tail trunk, I added air, checked all the fluids, added gas and took a ten mile test ride down a very varied dirt road. This is before any adjustment and just to get an idea of what this little thing was from like from the factory. Remember, I have always ridden Italian, German, Austrian and Japanese high-end machines; I wanted to know what this cheap thing was gonna be like.
During the uncrating, I was a little surprised by the overall quality of the build. Fit and finish was even and smooth. Overall styling seemed well thought out. I did find a few screws that were not snug on the trim pieces along the tank side. But other than that, nothing. Riding down the road, my first thought is that it’s a quiet little bike. It doesn’t rattle, the engine is not loud and the windscreen actually works. I stopped and removed my helmet on a straight section and rode down and back. It is not a loud machine at all.
The suspension seemed a little harsh, with very little give. If you are not standing when you hit something, it is not very forgiving. Now it is one very easy to ride and very stable machine. The tires on it are 80/20 dual sport tires. I was sliding all over the dirt road, but never felt out of control. I could hold it to a line, but it did want to wonder a little if left to find its own path. On pavement, it was very solid and extremely predictable. Back to the shop and bed I went,
The next day I awoke with a few plans. I wanted to see what I could do to the suspension, change to an LED headlight, and I wanted to get my tank bag on. I removed the seat, side panels and the headlight. The bag took some time to get anchored to the frame like I wanted it. The headlight was simple. The suspension was really not all that bad. I softened up both the front and the rear a little; the rebound damping on the front and the preload on the rear (I think I am going to play with different oils in the front, but that is later). My initial plan was to buy the bike and add things as I went that I thought it needed. Such as USB power, GPS, Phone holder, extra lighting, etc.., but I am going to have to get some bar risers for me. Standing on the pegs, I am leaning slightly forward, placing myself in a bad balance position and not a good position for my post-op back.
Gearing up I headed out for a second ride. I also took a few tools to adjust grip and lever angle and suspension settings. In the first 10 minutes, I was amazed at the suspension improvement. I now think it might work just fine as it is. In the first hour, I stopped several times for minor things, after that I just rode. Pavement and dirt, trail and field, wet and dry, I just rode. I did learn a few things but overall, I could not believe that something this inexpensive was performing as it was.
The two day conclusions:
First the bad:
The front brake sucks. I bled it and it helped a little, but it sucks. I don’t know what I will do, but I will do something. The rear is very passable. I wish it would lock under heavy pressure, but it still works very well. It does take some hard braking to get both front and rear grabbing good. The rear is fine, the front is seriously lacking for an experienced rider.
There is a flat spot about 4000rpm that drove me nuts as this is the slow speed you use in 1st gear for technical riding. I will be getting a 13 tooth front sprocket for it. While not under powered, it can benefit from some lower gearing and still be ok at highway speeds with the 13 tooth. Now if you never go offroad, keep the stock 14. I wish the clutch lever was adjustable. People with small hands will have a hard time feathering the clutch. One more thing is the tires are not balanced. There is a noticeable, regular vibration from both the front and the rear on mine. When I raised the front wheel off the ground, its off enough that the same spot on the tire kept settling at the bottom. While talking about tires, the rear is stout, and the spokes are nice and heavy.
Now the good:
You will not find a better looking, better riding, more capable, better equipped, NEW machine with a better warranty for it price. The power is smooth, the ride is controlled, the suspension decent, the luggage good and the is handling great. There are a few small things that need to be worked out, but that is the case with anything. There is nothing that says that this machine can not be ridden just the way it is. Tire wise, they are good and bad. Dirt traction is lacking, but wear and street grip is good. These will be a good tire for most new riders. On my KLR I got 5K miles out of a rear and 10K miles out of the front. These should last a might bit longer and be more than passable for most riders, especially novices.
The ground clearance is very adequate for the wheelbase. The crash bars are excellent. The bars that protect the panniers were a huge surprise. I never saw or read about them. They seem to be very well made and attached.
I have to mention the seat. This has to be one of the most comfortable factory seats I have ever sat on. It is wide and supporting where it needs to be and soft on the sides.
One minor thing that annoys me is that the bike is obviously prepped for a center stand. The reason this is an annoyance is that I never plan to use a center stand and now I have these two huge mounting points hanging down right under the motor. I can see myself snagging them on a rock and taking a spill. I don’t use center stands because they tend to flop around and hang up on things. Make no mistake, they are useful. But also realize I live for the off road and avoid pavement as much as possible.
I will be adding more and I will post some pics showing the different things I do.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Excellent review! As far as the front brakes. Did you clean them with brake cleaner? Most of these bikes will come with some kind of anti rust film on them for shipping. Give them a good cleaning.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Excellent review! As far as the front brakes. Did you clean them with brake cleaner? Most of these bikes will come with some kind of anti rust film on them for shipping. Give them a good cleaning.
I sprayed them good beforehand. Since it was ridden 5 miles before i ever got it, I am going to remove the pads and clean them. I read it somewhere in the general receipt instructions to spray them off,

Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #4

Zongshen uses two frame mounting points to secure the frame in a jig for assembly. They were not designed for a center stand. CSC created a center stand using those same mounts, that's why the location is not ideal for the stand...from a balance point of view. If you do not intend to mount a center stand you can simply cut them off and eliminate the problem.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Zongshen uses two frame mounting points to secure the frame in a jig for assembly. They were not designed for a center stand. CSC created a center stand using those same mounts, that's why the location is not ideal for the stand...from a balance point of view. If you do not intend to mount a center stand you can simply cut them off and eliminate the problem.
It may be both. On my bike there is a piece of wire in a "U" shape welded right beside it. That looked to me like an ideal place to mount the spring for the stand. I do agree with you that there is more to it than a stand mount as the amount of weld on there is excessive for a simple stand mount.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #6

As far as the brakes go, the pads take a lot longer to bed in than usual. My bike has close to 1400 miles on it and the brakes have a better feel now but I think they're as good as they will ever get with the stock pads.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #7

Update on the front brake. Scrubbing the pads and rotor with a brake cleaner and a bronze brush helped a LITTLE. It is still not what I should be. I started looking at the setup a little closer and I think I might be on to something. The 2019 has ABS front and rear with the ABS pump being somewhere under the tank. A quick measurement revealed that there is close to 7' of brake line for the front. I know the abs works on the back, and I have not decided if I want to keep it on the back, however with that much line on the front, that is a lot of line expansion to deal with. When I pull the tank to check the valves, I am going to measure for braided stainless lines and replace the ones on the front. It is a serious consideration right now to bypass the rear abs. There are many times when I need the rear tire to lock for controlled slides and stops. I will look into that and report what I find.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecase09 View Post
Update on the front brake. Scrubbing the pads and rotor with a brake cleaner and a bronze brush helped a LITTLE. It is still not what I should be. I started looking at the setup a little closer and I think I might be on to something. The 2019 has ABS front and rear with the ABS pump being somewhere under the tank. A quick measurement revealed that there is close to 7' of brake line for the front. I know the abs works on the back, and I have not decided if I want to keep it on the back, however with that much line on the front, that is a lot of line expansion to deal with. When I pull the tank to check the valves, I am going to measure for braided stainless lines and replace the ones on the front. It is a serious consideration right now to bypass the rear abs. There are many times when I need the rear tire to lock for controlled slides and stops. I will look into that and report what I find.
Stock front brake and or pads are know to be errrrrr just errrrrrr
Maybe the CSC bigger front brake disc and pads might well suit you.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Does the USA model not come with the factory D hook frames? In China we get a pair of manual stands to prop up the bike when needed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stands.jpg (82.5 KB, 433 views)

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 12-10-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Does the USA model not come with the factory D hook frames? In China we get a pair of manual stands to prop up the bike when needed
Mine did not. The USA distributor, CSC motorcycles, sells a center stand as an accessory.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #11

They sell two types of center stands; they sell those things and they also sell the "real" center stand.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
They sell two types of center stands; they sell those things and they also sell the "real" center stand.
Hells bells you Americans get less then what we do in China and you pay more lol!

Several bits called “extras” in the USA yet standard equipment in China

Old 12-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecase09 View Post
Mine did not. The USA distributor, CSC motorcycles, sells a center stand as an accessory.
I have these n $12 plus postage, I also have a CSC center stand in china but that’s not economical to return to the USA, better suited to selling to another country as shipping from China is cheaper then shipping from the USA.
Did you get my video about the power outlets? I can provide new or used in either option no issues at a fair price