Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2016, 12:32 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I've been checked a bunch of times over the years. Every time I go into an OHV park at the gate and also, at least a half dozen time in USFS lands in the middle of nowhere and the rangers have always just stuck a wire up the pipe looking for it to hit an obstacle, be it a baffle, screen or whatever....and they've had no problems.
Last thing I want to do is be "that guy" who starts the wildfire anyway.

Even if there was a stamp or sticker, they probably wouldn't trust it anyway as people love to cheat around labels.
My son is a National Park Ranger and may check occasionally for spark arrestor, but never for muffler stampings or frame stickers.
The same when I ride through military bases. No checking for stampings or stickers, just verification of driver license, current bike registration and insurance.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
Do you own any modern, recent, bikes, besides CB's? A lot of the exhaust pipe and canister laws are rather new.
If by "rather new" you mean they started in the 80's or so then yes, they're rather new. Just messing with you some, but the labeling laws are about that old. There have been laws written more recently that allow officers to cite and judges to rule based purely on the labeling to eliminate the judgment call of an officer without a decibel meter to be able to enforce exhaust noise laws. It used to be that if the exhaust was 'of similar construction' to the original and passed a decibel test it was ok. Since most cops can't conduct a roadside noise test that meets the requirements they couldn't enforce noise laws effectively. Now, at least in CA., they can just go off just the labels and the actual noise doesn't matter. They can also go after emissions compliance and have done so for many years, but they usually reserve that level of screwing for a problem person or street racers. If they ding you for emissions compliance it becomes very complicated and expensive to get your vehicle out of impound, they're often destroyed. Whether the vehicle is retrieved or not, the owner is liable for any costs incurred for the towing and storage and those bandits get around $200 for a tow and daily storage around $40 or so.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #63

Quote:
My son is a National Park Ranger and may check occasionally for spark arrestor, but never for muffler stampings or frame stickers.
The same when I ride through military bases. No checking for stampings or stickers, just verification of driver license, current bike registration and insurance.
Luckily I think most enforcement officers are like that, ruling on logic and/or spirit of the law. Then there's that cop that would write his own mother a ticket for 36 in a 35.

I unfortunately grew up with one of the latter who patrolled my neighborhood when I was growing up. Could you ever imagine being pulled over for speeding on an old rusty Huffy? I couldn't 'till I did, and he did several other shitty things to me and many people I know. I've heard there's even a Facebook page about the guy, Kevin E. Barnes of the CHP for anyone curious. I got my revenge several times as I grew up and he was demoted a couple of those times. Luckily he went away or I'd probably have to kill him just to get out my driveway without being stopped. I went at least a year without a license plate on my first sport bike because I was evading him often; if he can't prove it, it wasn't me.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #64

Quote:
Different countries, different laws and regulations.
I bought my muffler in the USA.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #65

i got an envelope with a letter about how to install the stickers but no stickers. i think it was supposed to have the stickers in there.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
i got an envelope with a letter about how to install the stickers but no stickers. i think it was supposed to have the stickers in there.
I'm holding them hostage. A cheap 6 pack of cans will do wonders.........

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
kinda like a government promise .....huh

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #68

Oh, my TT250 came with the stickers on both frame and muffler, so they must have made the change for new bikes heading out. Just thought I'd mention it.

Current: CSC TT250