Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

Factory muffler on the TT250 is illegal. -?-

Federal law states that the motorcycle frame must display a label stating it meets noise and emissions laws, that label also has to state that modifying the exhaust to exceed noise limits is illegal. I believe Ca. bikes must also be labeled with CARB approval info. The muffler itself must also be labeled, generally stamped into the metal, with similar info on it. Off-road mufflers must also be labeled with spark arrestor approval info to be legal for off-road use. Neither the bike or muffler have these labels. While law enforcement is unlikely to inspect a quiet muffler, if they do it's a ticket to the rider for using a non-approved muffler. It could possibly even escalate to impoundment since the motorcycle has no approval tag and it will appear to have been removed which I think is illegal.

I noticed that the muffler wasn't stamped right away and assumed that maybe it was exempt. I hadn't thought about the frame label 'till I started reading up. Reading what I can find on-line I can't find any exemptions for the labels other than on export only and competition only bikes that can never be registered for public use on or off road.

I'll be calling CSC later, but wanted to toss this out there for others to chime in if I'm missing something that does actually make it legal for the bike and muffler to not be tagged.

EDIT: please refrain from calling CSC, we don't need to flood them with calls over the same thing, I'll report back later. If my finding doesn't satisfy you then by all means ring them up.