Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #1

tao tao 107 will not start

the other day in a trade i got a tao tao 107. the carb is junk when i got it (missing the top cap and cable) i found in my parts bins i found a throttle cable and thumb throttle from a 3 wheeler and rigged up a cap to do some testing. it fired up kinda for a bit but ran like crap (no biggy. just get a new carb) then went to show it to the better half as you do and nothing.... it cranks and cranks but will not fire. now this thing isnt in the best of shape parts are missing (all the bolts that hold the plastic body on) all the brake switches are bypassed (dont mind i planned to do it myself anyway) seats missing. but again hey i got a great deal. so when it wouldnt start i started to go thru the basics. pulled the carb and gave it a really good cleaning even tho i plan to replace it. tested the compression(150psi), has spark. but just will not start. not even on start spray.
any suggestions?

Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

I would start by checking and cleaning up the carb/fuel tank again (add a fuel filter if needed), any "kill switches", dirty ground wires, wrong valve clearances, the glass fuse, or maybe the "idle speed or pilot screw" needs to be adjusted a little after the initial carb cleaning???

PS. Welcome to the forum

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #3

Regardless of the malfunction you would serve yourself we'll to stick an inline dual filter on there....they are cheap and can offer more protection...

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I would start by checking and cleaning up the carb/fuel tank again (add a fuel filter if needed), any "kill switches", dirty ground wires, wrong valve clearances, the glass fuse, or maybe the "idle speed or pilot screw" needs to be adjusted a little after the initial carb cleaning???

PS. Welcome to the forum
as mentioned above i did give the carb a good cleaning (oh ya FYI i do carb cleaning rebuilding and balancing as a bit of a side job )
fuel tank was well flushed and new filter was installed but till i get it running its been fed from my external tank (small hanging tank with inline shut offs and filters great for working on this kinda thing)
all kill switches other then the key and bar switch have been bypassed. bar switch was cleaned (start button had to be pressed really hard to get it to work at first) again have good strong spark and cranks over.

and thank you for the welcomes

Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Regardless of the malfunction you would serve yourself we'll to stick an inline dual filter on there....they are cheap and can offer more protection...
have one on every carbed motor i have (so ever motor but one lol)

Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

No start

Put you hand over the carb intake( air filter removed) crank motor over... if you hand gets wet.... then you have to adjust intake valve... if after that is corrected.... and it still foes that..( wet your hand... ) then you have a bend valve... very important to have the intake valve adjust once in a while.... especially if you just bought it... you have spark..( at the plug) you have a clean carb jet( wire goes thru it) … fresh gas.... then it is the valve setup or bent probl;em…. I do this all the time... and this is what it is ,,,,,,, save your self hours of work,... and follow what I said.....

Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #7

well problem found...... bad spark plug cable. would work when spark testing but once put in place to run normal a crack in the isolation was allowing it to arc out to the frame. wire replaced and now is spudders to life... (should also mention valves are adjusted already as well)

so now ive add (well working on it as we speak) a rack to the front that is really the rear rack off a big red. also working on a aux fuel tank.
also am debating on wether i want to use the factory plastic body or make my own (leaning tward making my own body panels out of street signs i have laying around)

Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #8

body

buy a body... have it look nice..

Old 07-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
buy a body... have it look nice..
na my point of this thing is to spend as little as possible (trying to have the carb be the only part i actually buy) and also i kinda wanna do a rat trap build on this one. so i used the front part of the factory plastics to have the head lights. also added LED light bar
plan to use a stop sign i have to make the rear fenders
i also have the rack installed (mounted up with almost no work) and installed my aux tank(well more of main tank right now) right under it in that pocket up front.
also found a set of paddle tires i have sitting around fit perfectly so im ready for some winter fun this winter