Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

Tips on tuning up CVT clutch...

Any ideas out there on preventing less belt slippage on a GY-6 Coolster 3150 DX2? Going up a hill on front of our property could smell the belt getting hot(slipping). So I'm done riding sons quad, don't want to break it and disappoint him and make momma upset too.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

How much do you weigh and how steep is the hill? Plenty of smartphone apps out there to measure the angle. Before any troubleshooting should be done those two aspects need to be looked at.

That video should give you an idea how a cvt works.

I know on my TAV2 CVT you can adjust the rear spring for lower torque or higher speed by changing where the large spring clips into. (It's real hard on the hands and wrist to do in order to preload the tension) On the other side is the clutch on the crankshaft. There might be some issues there. It sounds like what you have is new though. If that is the case there might be something wrong with it.

Belt stretched or worn
Rear spring broken
centrifugal clutch issues... could be a bad/broken spring or shoe. One spring can be not installed right and not gripping the shoe.

None of the above is hard to fix if you can wrench. The parts seem cheap enough for these.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

I looked around a little last night for the type of setup you have. Can't pinpoint what it is exactly. You may be able to get more torque out of it by changing the position of the rear spring. Not sure it has that ability though. Worth looking around on YouTube for that adjustment if it exists.

When you change the belt you want to remove the front clutch I believe and not touch the rear pulley. That rear spring is heavy duty and preloaded can be a pain to get back together right. I have changed a belt on my TAV2 clone trailside.. took 15 minutes but saved me a lot of pushing. But that is a different unit made for gokarts and minibikes. Pays to have a spare on hand. Little hard to get one locally when the problem comes up.

I do know they don't like getting wet. Belt will slip and burn up quick if your heavy on the throttle. Not sure how well the units are sealed up on the ATV's and if they slip badly when wet. Was why I went with a manual transmission. I needed a mule that can get wet and take shallow water crossings. If you do have that problem just sitting idle for a minute for the water to spit off the pulleys will reduce your belt wear drastically.

Any of you guys have any tips or experience with this. I don't have any directly related to ATV's yet.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I looked around a little last night for the type of setup you have. Can't pinpoint what it is exactly. You may be able to get more torque out of it by changing the position of the rear spring. Not sure it has that ability though. Worth looking around on YouTube for that adjustment if it exists.

When you change the belt you want to remove the front clutch I believe and not touch the rear pulley. That rear spring is heavy duty and preloaded can be a pain to get back together right. I have changed a belt on my TAV2 clone trailside.. took 15 minutes but saved me a lot of pushing. But that is a different unit made for gokarts and minibikes. Pays to have a spare on hand. Little hard to get one locally when the problem comes up.

I do know they don't like getting wet. Belt will slip and burn up quick if your heavy on the throttle. Not sure how well the units are sealed up on the ATV's and if they slip badly when wet. Was why I went with a manual transmission. I needed a mule that can get wet and take shallow water crossings. If you do have that problem just sitting idle for a minute for the water to spit off the pulleys will reduce your belt wear drastically.

Any of you guys have any tips or experience with this. I don't have any directly related to ATV's yet.
Yeah I'm thinking of changing some springs out to say 1500 rpm engagement on the clutch. Not a whole lot of wide open high speed on our 5 acre's(330'x660'). Some good hills and ravine's. So need that low end torque for sure😉.

Def gonna get a new belt probably pony up and get a Gates belt instead of the el cheapo $7-8 belt that may burn up quick again. Think the Gates is $21-22 online. Anyone know the measurements on these GY6 clutch belt?

Thanks Darth!😊

Old 09-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #5

If you want better torque you want a beefier rear spring if they make that for your setup. Smaller front chain sprocket and larger rear sprocket will torque it up even more. It made a big difference on the mini bike mule project and got full pulling power out of that 6hp engine.

If you can get a better belt do it. Your best bet is to take your existing belt out while it is still in one peice so you can measure it and cross reference it. Might still have some belt numbers printed on it.

Pay close attention to how the sides of the belt are shaped. Generally two types symmetrical (V shaped) and asymmetrical (one sided angled the other side flat) check the angles and most importantly the width. If it's too wide when the ATV is in idle neutral it will still want to drive as it catches the lower portion of the pulley. You can measure the angle needed from your pulleys.

I do think you want to avoid using belt dressing on these as it may mess up how the belt rides up and down the pulleys.

That's all I know about the subject.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #6

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scooter-GY6-1...FXv2VQ&vxp=mtr

Old 09-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #7

They make Kevlar belts for the GY6. I don't know if its just a gimmick or if they are truly indestructible as advertised.

/

Old 09-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #8

i took the wifes apart awhile ago and noticed that there was no grease at all and i mean never was there ever grease in there 0_O

i gave it all a light coat of grease just like on my 660 grizzly and it seemed to be a bit better when riding after that.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #9

I think I saw some steel braided belts for CVT's too the other night.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #10

Mizzou , this is BullRider , do you still have your wheeler? Just wondering if you had a fix on your lack of pull issue . I jumped DEEP into modding out these gy6 wheelers . Any questions , feel free ... BullRider .