Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #1

now what did I do to my poor Hawk?

Well, as many of you know, I am what some people would call a master mechanic, and it shows in the quality and dependability of my work. Now, that being said, I did install my own digital cluster. As one might expect from a person of my impressive skill level, there is an issue.
On cold mornings, sometimes when I turn the key on, the cluster stays dark, and the bike is dead. It still fires right up when I kick-start, and then everything works fine, but sometimes it's not fine.

I know for a fact there is a connection issue for which my hastiness is to blame. Now that I am moved into my new place, I can take my time with the Hawk. Everything I need is now within walking distance, and my youngest girl and her family are right across the street.

By the way, those body plastic fasteners from CSC are much better than the stock ones, but you still need thread locker!

I am assuming that some electrical connection I made when hastily installing the cluster is not perfect. Once I am done getting my new apartment in order and have the mental stability to do it, I will look into the wiring I juryrigged.

Also, the bike is running great. Despite missing that spoke, it feels the same on the highway, but I am now afraid to take her off-road. The leaves are all over the trails where I live, and if I cannot see what is in front of me, I am not riding. I don't have the muscle memory skills that people with more time have, and I will bite it.

Well, that's it. Keep riding, folks. I intend to, just not as much. Hopefully, after the holidays, I can look into getting a rear rim.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:23 PM   #2

Hey, I actually had a similiar issue to this recently. Two things I would check in specific. The fuse coming out the battery positive. If you have a multimeter id check the voltage on the battery both when it was in the off position and the on position. If it drops to zero with the key on, could either be a faulty battery (was one of my issues) or there was a short in the ground somewhere. Possibly if you have another battery laying around in a car or something. With jumper cables, could try putting the positive on the positive, negative on the other battery, negative grounded out. If you get power then probably just a bad battery. If nothing probably a short in the ground. Through trial and error found that if the bike kicks over and everything works properly(turn signals etc), its more than likely a bad battery than a bad ground wire somewhere.

1998 Suzuki Intruder VS800 (bobbed out)
2021 Sur Ron Lightbee Supermoto (Heavily modified up to 40hp peak)

Old 11-08-2023, 04:19 PM   #3

I have 2 missing spokes on my rear wheel. I have the parts, but I'm waiting for the weather to take a dive before I dig in. I've still been commuting with it. It feels the same as before, but I'm constantly checking and stressing over the rest.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)