Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2024, 04:08 PM   #16

These engines, and the carburetors (or EFI) systems are high performance. Please don't laugh

My point is that they are engineered to be able to create 14 to 20 hp on demand at higher rpm with the throttle twisted

Under those conditions, these bikes get maybe 50 mpg on sustained full throttle, but NO ONE does that.

But you can easily squeeze 70+mpg out of them, all of them. Cruising with light throttle can push them closer to 80mpg, but those people behind you on the road will be pissed at you!

So you have extreme variability.

Bottom line is it depends largely on your riding style, how hard you ride. Fast acceleration from every stop to maximum speed allowable, uphills too? Or modest acceleration and allowing the bike to slow down going up any hill, then letting it increase on downhils (hypermiling), and avoid braking (slide through stops...). Same thing applies to cars/trucks, believe me. I can get nearly 30mpg on my 6 cylinder Tacoma, but I have to pull over, then use gas to get back up to speed (any acceleration uses more gas than cruising at speed). Driving normally and keeping up with traffic, I get 20-24 mpg. Pulling a trailer, best I can do is 21mpg. But I am not in any hurry.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-21-2024 at 06:51 PM.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:04 PM   #17

mine seems to vary from 60 to darn near 80 mpg. but I mostly cruise back roads. the darned things sip gas. we cant complain.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
These engines, and the carburetors (or EFI) systems are high performance. Please don't laugh

My point is that they are engineered to be able to create 14 to 20 hp on demand at higher rpm with the throttle twisted

Under those conditions, these bikes get maybe 50 mpg on sustained full throttle, but NO ONE does that.

But you can easily squeeze 70+mpg out of them, all of them. Cruising with light throttle can push them closer to 80mpg, but those people behind you on the road will be pissed at you!

So you have extreme variability.

Bottom line is it depends largely on your riding style, how hard you ride. Fast acceleration from every stop to maximum speed allowable, uphills too? Or modest acceleration and allowing the bike to slow down going up any hill, then letting it increase on downhils (hypermiling), and avoid braking (slide through stops...). Same thing applies to cars/trucks, believe me. I can get nearly 30mpg on my 6 cylinder Tacoma, but I have to pull over, then use gas to get back up to speed (any acceleration uses more gas than cruising at speed). Driving normally and keeping up with traffic, I get 20-24 mpg. Pulling a trailer, best I can do is 21mpg. But I am not in any hurry.
..but, but, what if I put in a Nibbi 32 with huge jets and no cat and turn my mixture screw all the way rich!!!??? What then? I'm kidding...I'm fully in camp reject-stock-carb