Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Shark Stalling issue

Heya all Ive had a issue crop up with my shark. It will run fine all day at 45 and below. however if i have a 20 minuet ride at 55-60 it is stalling out when decelerating. even just allowing it to compression brake down from 55ish you can feel it bump starting itself. It restarts immediately after stalling out.
I am guessing its a carb issue if so what replacement carb pod filter and air intake do you recommend? I remember someone building out a TT250 witch has the same motor but for the life of me I can not remember who.
Thank you for any ideas and suggestions in advance.

Robb

Old 06-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #2

sounds like a carb adjustment of some sort ,like jet up ,but will let another better answer your ? ,sounds like its sucking wind like the bikes do stock depending at what sea level is where you live ,have you done any mods on the bike yet,i plan to do air box mod right away ,as well as tune the carb for where i live at 1000 feet ,wich my buddie is better at then me ,could be the upgraded carb too is needed,but seems most guys not at 3000 feet or above can tune the stock one to work fine,i am sure some one can better help though

Old 06-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #3

Ive done zero mods to the carb or exhaust. Also I am just under 1000 ft elevation.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #4

yup sounds like its starving for air there is a ton videos motochees has on you tube for the hawks one of air box mod ,other of the carb up jet ,check out all the videos,an if you dont trust yourself to work on the carb ,then find friend knows about carbs that can help,mu biggest thing i plan to learn id more about the carbs on these bikes,but yes they are starving for air from china the shark is same engine an carb

these bikes need many upgrades that cost like under 300.00 but make the bike run much better ,an make them much more reliable from what i have seen most videos are on the hawk 250 though,so make a list first for me is the air box mod allows more air to the carb ,then the adjusting it properly,those 2 should be done first then all the others they are hear like a better chain too,swing arm greace fork oil brake fluid,then full exhaust an a few other things on my list ,i would say the carb getting more air #1 or to lean ,i just plan to drive mine easy as do each upgrade to it ,over the next month or so

Old 06-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #5

This problem can be caused by multiple things.

Bad valve adjustment
Bad gas
Too rich - be it dirty air filter, too big of a pilot jet, etc
Too lean - vacuum leak, too small of a pilot jet, clogged idle mixture passage/pilot jet, etc

I would start by adjusting the valves if you haven't done so already. These motors usually come with no valve lash adjustment and are too tight. Set the valves to .003"

Once you do that, take it for a ride and note any changes or similarities in how it runs.

The second thing I would do is tune the carb. They almost all come a little too lean on the jetting, usually exacerbated by things like poor valve adjustment or bad fuel. A lot of the same things that apply to the Hawks will also apply to your bike in terms of carb tuning, search around and you will find a ton of information. Before ordering any jets, make sure to verify which style your carb has so you order the right ones. While doing this you can take the time to give the carb a really good clean and blow out.

I would start there, and if that doesn't resolve it, report back.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #6

Thanks MegaDan

Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #7

After you take Dan's advice and set the valves, go for a ride at 55-60 and do a plug chop. IOW, while cruising, hit the kill switch and then release the throttle. Come to a stop and give the engine time to cool enough to allow you to remove the spark plug. The colour of the plug will guide you towards optimal jetting at that specific cruising speed.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-12-2018, 12:05 AM   #8

Thanks Weldandgrind I'll be sure to do that tomorrow.