Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

honda crf100, zongshen 150cc engine project

I jumped into this project for my girlfriend to ride about two months ago. I have a crf230m that I use to commute on and she is tired of the low speed of the metropolitan, but she is vertically challenged (4'11', 95 pounds) so bigger bikes are out. So i start with an old crf100 rolling chassis that my cousin had, and a banged up unknown zongshen bike that was totalled, but had a good riunning engine and ended up with this.

But i am at a stand-still on the wiring. There is a gear position indicator directly in front of the counter sprocket that the wires were cut going to it, and I cant figure out where they go in the wiring harness. Anyone have a diagram for just what it takes for the engine to run.? I can handle wiring the lights and switches on my own, i just need this thing to start like it is supposed to....

Old 03-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Great project. You may get some helpful info by looking at the Lifan/XR I built. You'll find the threads in the 'Other' forum, 'Pictures', and 'Ride Reports'.

There is a wiring diagram on the Hooper Imports site, check it out.

You were wise to choose such a tiny girl. They don't eat much and travel well. :P

Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #3

You can ignore the group of tiny wires bundled together. They are for the gear position indicator which you will not be using. You can also buy an inexpensive wiring harness from Hooper Imports.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #4

The only thing I can contribute is that the gear position indicators are not nessesary. There is some wiring there that is vital though.

Any idea what model bike the donor engine came from?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #5

No idea, lol. I got the motor donor bike from my girlfriends uncke and it was a basket case. No tank, no fenders, no forks, no swingarm, keyswitch cut and hotwired....you get the point, but i got the motor to kick start before i took the engine out and it seemed to run fine. I think it might have been a qlink?, but im not positive. Ill have to look into the hoopers imports thing...

Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #6

It's not from a Q, it's a generic Honda based vertical OHV engine. They are pretty much all the same.

Check out Hooper, get a wiring harness for like $30 and you're good to go. You can make your own harness, I did, but It's a bit of a PIA and I had the advantage of a bunch of wiring parts given to me from another forum member.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #7

http://www.hooperimports.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Wire-V

So this harness will work just to make the engine run? Then I can wire the electric starter, battery, and lights in a seperate second harness on my own.?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #8

That will work. This one will include, I believe the electrical bits for the starter solenoid, CDI, and RR:

http://www.hooperimports.com/product.aspx?pf_id=DSWire

Do you plan to run a battery and electric starter?

Did you salvage the CDI, RR, and solenoid from the donor bike?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

Yeah i have the entire harness from the donor bike but i have been cut about 3 places and i dont know why. I have the coil, starter solenoid, and regulator rectifier.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

You'll need some sort of small battery and battery cables, either repair the old harness or replace it (I'd lean towards replaceing it).

Give Larry a call. He knows his stuff and will set you up with the right stuff. For instance, does the sprocket on the engine match the chain and rear sprocket on the bike?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #11

My wife is 5' even, but she won't ride.

Doc, has been here done that with a swap like this and will be a big help. My xr200 project has stall for the time being. Other life events have taken over and I never got to the wiring stage.

Nice job on mounting the engine. It looks like it was not a direct fit. Is it possible to dual sport a dirt bike in IL?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #12

Katoranger, yeah here all you ahve to do is get the bike inspected by the secratary of state police (high, and low beam, tail, brake, and a horn) and go to the dmv and pay your money for plates.

FastDoc, the sprockets are both 428 so im alright there. Larry at Hoopers imports.?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #13

Larry is hooper imports. He is a big help for these projects.

That is nice that they still tag a dirt bike. Can't be done in GA anymore along with alot of states.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Larry is hooper imports. He is a big help for these projects.

That is nice that they still tag a dirt bike. Can't be done in GA anymore along with alot of states.
It's a PIA in WA, or I would have done it already to The Dirt Rat.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
It's not from a Q, it's a generic Honda based vertical OHV engine. They are pretty much all the same.
Are you certain Doc? I haven't seen one with a removeable oil filter cover on the right side before. I'm only familiar with the oil screen behind the large nut on the left side.

The '84 and '85 XR200 and XR250 likely had a filter on the right side, but they also had a four valve head with twin exhaust pipes in a header. the XR250 continued that way until the end of the run, but the XR200 went back to a two valve head in '86. Perhaps the oil filter location was changed after that, IDK.

That engine is definitely not a Yamaha style, but I'm struggling to figure out just what it is.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer