Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #46

That's pretty impressive speed for a small engine like that!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's pretty impressive speed for a small engine like that!
I should mention that the '99' was indicated. That should be somewhere above 91 GPS/true speed. :idea:

The bike was quite safe and stable at that speed, and it held the speed even going up slight hills.

Since everyone knows that the woken dead (zombies) cannot travel nearly that fast I was safe :wink: . Pity the poor guy in a Prius behind me 8O .

Oh well. If a man drives a Prius he deserves what he gets 8) .

Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #48

Hey - I just happen to drive preious - NOT JK Thats funny..... :P
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...Since everyone knows that the woken dead (zombies) cannot travel nearly that fast I was safe :wink: . Pity the poor guy in a Prius behind me 8O .

Oh well. If a man drives a Prius he deserves what he gets 8) .
According to most Hollywood reports, zombies have difficulty reaching a speed of 3 mph, Doc. Therefore, even the Prius driver should be safe, as long as he keeps moving! However, you basic theory is valid. You don't necessarily need to outrun the zombies, you merely need to outrun the other guy!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #50

I think the KLX will outrun any other unmodified common street legal 250, except a Ninja.

Spud, check out the video with sound I posted in the Photo And Video section. It may help your decision to change the exhaust or not.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #51

Quote:
I think the KLX will outrun any other unmodified common street legal 250, except a Ninja.

Spud, check out the video with sound I posted in the Photo And Video section. It may help your decision to change the exhaust or not.
I bet it would still win. Remember, you can take short cuts

Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #52

Quote:
I should mention that the '99' was indicated. That should be somewhere above 91 GPS/true speed. :idea:
That's still very fast for 250cc. 8O

It would be fun to do a drag race comparison with a 250 Ninja.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #53

Quote:
Quote:
That's still very fast for 250cc. 8O

It would be fun to do a drag race comparison with a 250 Ninja.
The Ninja would eat my lunch on a dragstrip. I'd like to see him keep up with me on a trail, however... :wink:

Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #54

That speed has to come from somewhere. Both engines are liquid cooled, and they are likely to have a similar compression ratio. After that, it's all gearing and weight. If the Ninja could take you on the top end, then I presume you'd get the holeshot.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #55

Quote:
That speed has to come from somewhere. Both engines are liquid cooled, and they are likely to have a similar compression ratio. After that, it's all gearing and weight. If the Ninja could take you on the top end, then I presume you'd get the holeshot.
I probably have more torque because I'm a thumper. The competition would be similar to the CBR250 and the Ninja 250. The Ninja spanked the CBR on top, but the thumper had an advantage down low. When you think about it that's the only way to go for a dirtbike.

The KLX is out at 91 MPH, the Ninja will bust a ton. It is also much more aerodynamic with lower rolling resistance tires.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #56

Hey everyone!

I just purchased my 2009 KLX250 this morning! I went for the SF model. It's very black and very sleek looking. Can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow. Believe it or not, my bike will get pressed into off-road duty due to the fact that I live off-road. My home is located on a 1.1 mile gravel/dirt road. The bike may get a 19" front wheel next Winter and a set of more aggressive dualsport tires. The main reasons for me going with the SF was that it was $100 cheaper, the black color and the larger 300mm front brake.

My plans for this bike include adding a KLX300 cylinder and piston, lightening it, and making it more dirt worthy. I might even spring for the 330cc engine kit from Kustom Kraft. There are reports on the net of this bike being hot rodding to almost 30hp. Power like that would turn this bike into a rocket. Of course, I'll be looking to drop a few pounds off mine as well, to make it faster.

More pics tomorrow!

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 03-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #57

Great news Sam!

For dirt and gravel roads I bet the bike will run great on stock wheels and tires. When you wear them out maybe pick up something a little more dualsport.

As you may be able to tell from my threads, the modded bike performs very well but is loud, at least with a TBR exhaust.

I'll let you all know how much the tip quiets it down.

Your new bike deserves it's own thread. I encourage you to start a new thread and keep us all up to date, with pics. :P

You know we can go up to 351cc's...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #58

Thanks FastDoc!

I'll start a new thread shortly on the KLXSF. The KLX250 has been on my mind for awhile and I'll admit that your thread got me thinking about it again. That's why I posted here. It's all your fault. My KLR is away getting a new Versys engine conversion and I'm currently bikeless. This is the perfect little bike for me to commute to work on. This one was a deal, so I decided to jump on it. I only paid $3395 for it. The KLX will compliment my KLR nicely. It's nice to have 2 bikes and to always have a backup bike, if one goes down. Now I have to sell my Zongshen and my daughter's TT-R125E.

By the way, my wife says... THANKS! :wink: Just kidding!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #59

Oh yeah! I knew about the 351cc engine kit. At this point, I'm not sure how far I want to go with it. For now, I'll be happy to be riding and I'll enjoy the 70mpg economy.

A buddy of mine has a KLX400 (DRZ400). When I mentioned the KLX250 awhile back, he said that it wasn't nearly enough for street use. Before long, I intend to embarrass him and his stock DRZ. In my opinion, the 6-speed transmission is the key to the success of these smaller bikes.

Have you seen the flatslide carbs and all the parts availbel for these bikes?

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
My plans for this bike include adding a KLX300 cylinder and piston, lightening it, and making it more dirt worthy. I might even spring for the 330cc engine kit from Kustom Kraft. There are reports on the net of this bike being hot rodding to almost 30hp. Power like that would turn this bike into a rocket. Of course, I'll be looking to drop a few pounds off mine as well, to make it faster.
You're killin' me Sam! I bet you can't have that bike one week before taking a wrench to it. It'll be a different machine when you're through. 8)

Congrats on the new bike.