Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Vermont said no (kind of)

Tried to Vermont register my 1982 CT110. Was told that because it's a dual sport it would need a Vermont safety inspection first.

Any suggestions? Should I just send the paperwork anyway hoping whoever handles the paperwork won't catch it?

Background story: Purchased the bike from a grounds maintenance worker on an 800 acre church compound. It has been used on the compound since new. It has not been registered since 1993. The fees are $743.00. Once the bike stopped being registered it was just transferred ownership on the spot with no paperwork and the last registered owner is nowhere to be found. I knew all this and went for it, thinking I could do the Vermont option.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #2

743.00 is insanely high

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
743.00 is insanely high

Yep. Typical California.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Tried to Vermont register my 1982 CT110. Was told that because it's a dual sport it would need a Vermont safety inspection first.

Any suggestions? Should I just send the paperwork anyway hoping whoever handles the paperwork won't catch it?

Background story: Purchased the bike from a grounds maintenance worker on an 800 acre church compound. It has been used on the compound since new. It has not been registered since 1993. The fees are $743.00. Once the bike stopped being registered it was just transferred ownership on the spot with no paperwork and the last registered owner is nowhere to be found. I knew all this and went for it, thinking I could do the Vermont option.
Try the other option - North Dakota...ARH

Old 08-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

When I did mine they messed up three times. They billed me extra, then refunded me and sent a MDC plate, then sent the right plate. I'd send the paperwork anyway to see if they processed it.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Yep. Typical California.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 08-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #7

I live in Calif. and about 10 yrs ago I bought a used Honda CT70 that had not been registered in years. I went the the Automobile club to try to register it but I was told it was out of the system and I would have to have it inspected by the California Hwy Patrol. Called the CHP to make an appointment and they told me that as long as the bike had not been modified, I could take it to the DMV and have it inspected. I went to the DMV and had it inspected, the guy looked it over for about 5 minutes and signed off on it ( it didnt even run and had a dead battery). I went back inside and asked if I was responsible for any back fees, I was told I was not. I payed the sales tax , transfer fee and regular registration fees and that was it. I did have the pink slip for it though and it was 10 yrs ago.

You might find this helpful. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dbk/ch3/ch3_17

Last edited by Hellkitty; 08-06-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #8

Not a bit of trouble plating and insuring the Hawk and TBR7 here in Ohio. No inspection, nothing. The lady at the title office said "oh these must be pretty popular, I've done 5 of these in the last month", and she listed the manufacturer as RPS and the seller as My Scooters and ATVs.

Progressive insured them without much trouble. $100 a year with a motorcycle permit and $75 if you have your motorcycle endorsement.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:

I live 15 minutes from the local VT DMV office, sounds like someone was giving you a story to me. if it is a 2004 or earlier you don't need a title or MCO just a bill of sale. PM me and I might be able to help.

I register crazy stuff all the time and all VT cares about is that it has a serial number and you pay the 6% tax - I registered a 1982 Ural 375D 6x6 military truck, their VIN's start with 000001 and work up to about 65,000 I have number 55,400 or so. The DMV just wanted my certificate of origin and 6%.

the safety inspection is required for all vehicles registered in Vermont - within 15 days of registration. However if you don't live in Vermont then you cannot get one done really.