Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Tao Tao Hellcat Headlight bulb

I had to replace the headlight bulb. What is the story with that weird bent metal piece that holds it in? I can't put it back on after replacing the bulb.

EDIT:

I ended up cutting it a bit and re-shaping it. Tao Tao should change their slogan.

But now I have another question. I would like to replace the running light also. Does anyone know what LED is a good fit? No drilling etc etc.

Thanks

Last edited by scoot newb; 06-30-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #2

The spring clip is pretty weak, I remember having to bend mine to increase the tension so the bulb doesn't wiggle around so much. My next project is to install the round LED headlight I bought a few months ago. I came with some fork brackets that don't really fit, but I pretty much figured out how to make some brackets that utilize the existing brackets for the headlight housing.

There is thread about replacing the running light with an LED.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...hlight=hellcat

Old 07-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
The spring clip is pretty weak, I remember having to bend mine to increase the tension so the bulb doesn't wiggle around so much. My next project is to install the round LED headlight I bought a few months ago. I came with some fork brackets that don't really fit, but I pretty much figured out how to make some brackets that utilize the existing brackets for the headlight housing.

There is thread about replacing the running light with an LED.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...hlight=hellcat

Thanks for that link. Yes the round headlight. I was looking at the Mad Eye conversion kit but decided to sort all the other problems first. It is close to being 100%

If you are selling conversion brackets please let me know. Those mad eye ones are pricey

Old 03-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #4

Hey guys im late to the party and have been reading these threads having alot of fun with my Hellcat ��. Quick question how do you actually remove the headlight housing to replace the bulbs. I only see the four allen bolts on the side and figured I would ask here first so i dont break any clips and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #5

It should be the four bolts that are on the boomerangs. After that you have to disconnect the wires.
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 03-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #6

Thanks yes i took those four bolts off and it felt too stuck still, i then see the holes protrude a little so you have to pinch them on even before the screws. So you have to gently lift it off each screw holder after removing the screws... Thanks for quick reply i have parts comming in over the next few days

Last edited by ViShOuS; 03-09-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #7

Take the stock headlight assembly off and throw it in the trash then hook up a bucket light with integrated signals. Excellent beam pattern.

I have since removed it in favor of the mad eye for aesthetics but I am missing it now. It was good.

Last edited by scoot newb; 03-11-2020 at 04:37 PM.