Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #1

Colorado Registration Taotao Hellcat

Anyone have experience registering in Colorado?

I talked to the DMV about the Taotao hellcat and was told it was fine. I got the hellcat and MCO. Went to the DMV and was told they did not fill out the correct space. They gave me a temp plate and told me to send it back to get the correct part filled out. I sent it back, got it all signed again and took it back to the DMV. Now they are telling me that this is not a vehicle that can be plated. I'm going to try another DMV, but any advice would be great!

Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

Well, the people at the DMV do not seem to know what is going on. They are telling me I can not get it plated and their reason is that other people titled it as an off-highway vehicle. Then I ask them if I need to take it to the state patrol to get it inspected, and they tell me that is unnecessary. WHERE IS MY PLATE THEN! This vehicle can not be plated. It is an off-highway vehicle.

It definitely gets on my nerves when I asked if this would be a problem last time I was at the DMV and told it would not be. I specifically asked about getting it inspected by the state patrol! Anyway, they won't give me a straight answer so I'm getting it inspected anyway. Unfortunately that is another month out. Oh well, I have a temp plate until then. Wait, isn't this an off-highway vehicle that shouldn't have a plate. I'm confused

For anyone interested I'm taking this with me to the state patrol.
Form DR2686 Certification of Equipment Compliance for Motorcycles
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...les/DR2686.pdf

Here is the state patrol certification site.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/csp/get-vin-inspection

Old 03-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Man that is confusing. Does the MCO state " Motorcycle"? I would get it inspected. If the State Patrol has no issues with it then there shouldn't be any problems with the DMV. Good luck.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #4

Something else you can try. If you can try a Notary and title shop instead of going to the DMV. Not sure if you have them in Denver. Those guy's will do anything to get your money. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #5

The MCO actually says moped scooter. That's what taotao lists it as on their website. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the state patrol says. I tried a quick google search for any kind of notary and title place but didn't seem to come up with anything. I'll just have to wait, hopefully it will go through in the end. I'd hate to have to find out how it does off road going up a mountain!

Old 03-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #6

These things are street legal in California, for goodness sakes! The are listed on the 2017 EPA certification list as being 50-state street legal 'on-highway'

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...17-mc-ctrr.xls

Open the link and scroll down to near the bottom. There is also an EPA/DOT link in which you put in your VIN # and it will give the same information; some states use the federal site--if your bike pops up as being EPA/DOT compliant, you are good to go (New Jersey comes to mind). I wonder if they are confusing the brand Taotao overall with the actual model 'Hellcat' since Taotao has a couple 125cc off-road pit bikes out there vs, the 50 state legal Hellcat. That wouldn't make sense, either, since they have several EPA/DOT legal scooters, but it is a newer offering from Taotao.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

Oh I know! I even showed that to them. Didn't change a thing.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #8

Thats the main reason I picked my Hellcat up from the warehouse so that I'd be issued the temp registration on the spot. I was starting to get nervous when after 7 weeks I still havent received my plate. It finally came no issues, and I live in california where they try to make everything difficult.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
Thats the main reason I picked my Hellcat up from the warehouse so that I'd be issued the temp registration on the spot. I was starting to get nervous when after 7 weeks I still havent received my plate. It finally came no issues, and I live in california where they try to make everything difficult.
Motor/motorsport dealers in California have to process the registration to any of their California resident purchasers. Not only does that make it convenient, but my guess is every DMV office would have a different idea on how to...or NOT to register a vehicle bought in a box, such as a cheap scooter, or in your case, your Hellcat. Come to think of it, Colorado is a little more difficult when it comes to registration as evidenced by a few of our Hawk 250 owners, but in Colorado's defense, the Hawk is NOT EPA/DOT certified as an on-highway bike, but is rather certified as an off-road dirtbike, which is why I could see some states, namely Colorado, giving difficult times to Hawk owners, but the Hellcat is even CARB certified in California as an on-road motorcycle, let alone the other 49 states, so Colorado shouldn't have extra hoops to jump through.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-13-2018, 01:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
let alone the other 49 states, so Colorado shouldn't have extra hoops to jump through.
There is a reason my Bashan 197cc Dual Sport/Enduro (49 state highway legal vehicle) was registered out of state... Colorado DMV just didn't want my $$ no matter what hoops I jumped through...

Several people I know have 400+ cc 2 and 4 stroke racing "dirt bikes" they converted to "road legal Colorado plated Enduros"... just don't understand what goes on at the DMV... it's a different answer for everyone who walks up to the counter

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #11

Well it seems you are right about that!

I went to three DMV's, spoke to three different clerks and two supervisors. I got nowhere with the first two or with the supervisors. Went to a third one that usually doesn't have a lot of people in it. The clerk there took the time to look up the vehicle, the certifications and the wholesaler I bought it from. She called them up asked for the MSRP, which I'm sure they just say whatever, and told me she had to create the vehicle in the system. I got my plate and that's all I care about!

I'm pretty sure the state patrol route would have worked too, though been more of a pain. Looking up information it seems the DMV will register anything the officers deem road worthy.

Last edited by LeftDfence; 03-16-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #12

Congrats. You just had to find the right person that gave a damn about helping you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftDfence View Post
Well it seems you are right about that!

I went to three DMV's, spoke to three different clerks and two supervisors. I got nowhere with the first two or with the supervisors. Went to a third one that usually doesn't have a lot of people in it. The clerk there took the time to look up the vehicle, the certifications and the wholesaler I bought it from. She called them up asked for the MSRP, which I'm sure they just say whatever, and told me she had to create the vehicle in the system. I got my plate and that's all I care about!

I'm pretty sure the state patrol route would have worked too, though been more of a pain. Looking up information it seems the DMV with register anything the officers deem road worthy.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftDfence View Post
She called them up asked for the MSRP, which I'm sure they just say whatever, and told me she had to create the vehicle in the system. I got my plate and that's all I care about!

I'm pretty sure the state patrol route would have worked too, though been more of a pain. Looking up information it seems the DMV will register anything the officers deem road worthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Congrats. You just had to find the right person that gave a damn about helping you.
I think you have 'led the way' for subsequent Hellcat purchasers in CO. Not that it will help YOU out, but you have the satisfaction that yours is seemingly the first street plated Hellcat in your state!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-18-2018, 02:13 AM   #14

Haha yeah maybe, glad I could help out!

Old 03-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #15

Colorado is a weird state and your DMV experience will certainly differ greatly by location. The one near me in Thronton was awesome. I was always in and out in 20min and the ladies were very nice to me. Im sure I coudlve gotten plates for a tank with a wink and a smile :P