Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #1

Another New Hawk has arrived

Came in today. Ordered it late Wednesday night (like 10pm EST). Shipped Thursday. And came in today. Got a black one. Will be on here for help and ideas like everyone else. Got it unpacked, and on the motorcycle jack. Battery is filled and on the charger. Made a list of everything I want/need to change out before I start to ride it.

And was tinkering around, and did the air box mod. Don't know how much of a difference it will make. Anyone else's intake tube come sort of "compressed" in the middle of the tube? Definitely going to be restrictive. Has anyone change out the tube from the carb to the box?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

Air box mods are worth a try. Easily undone if it doesn't go well.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Air box mods are worth a try. Easily undone if it doesn't go well.
That's what I figured. And seeing how bad the intake tube is malformed, infigured the more air the better

Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #4

I did that exact mod to my air box. No regrets. Keep the pics coming

Old 02-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #5

That is how the boot is shaped. I have pictures of pretty much everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (91.1 KB, 730 views)

Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #6

Congrats on the New Hawk, where are you located? Who did you buy it from? Thats pretty FAST shipping. And yes thanks for the pics, keep em coming.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Congrats on the New Hawk, where are you located? Who did you buy it from? Thats pretty FAST shipping. And yes thanks for the pics, keep em coming.

Ordered it from "LowestPriceATVs.com", which is Ricky Motorsports. I'm located in Massachusetts, in the southeast part of the state, on the water. But I live on a dead end street. And if I open my gate in my backyard, it opens to miles and miles of woods and trails. So I don't have to travel far to ride, luckily!

Old 03-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
Ordered it from "LowestPriceATVs.com", which is Ricky Motorsports. I'm located in Massachusetts, in the southeast part of the state, on the water. But I live on a dead end street. And if I open my gate in my backyard, it opens to miles and miles of woods and trails. So I don't have to travel far to ride, luckily!
Another Manny website. How many websites does this guy have? not including Ebay and Craigslist. A game of wack a mole, his website gets a bad name so he just opens up another website

Old 03-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy. View Post
Another Manny website. How many websites does this guy have? not including Ebay and Craigslist. A game of wack a mole, his website gets a bad name so he just opens up another website
Ahhh I hope everything is ok with the bike. What's the complaints for him so far?

So, put the new Ngk plug in, from tire and brakes on, battery has been filled and charged. Got the quick connect battery tender I tossed on there as well. The little charging connecting just pops its little head out under the seat for a quick trickle charge while she sits,
Not being used. While doing this I noticed one of the forks is about 1" higher than the other. So I'll have to fix that before I finish. Everyone says to change the oil. I went and bought some new oil. Is it fine to start it up and warm it up with the oil it comes with? Or just ditch it right away?

Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #10

I would ditch the engine oil right away before you even start it... although some see "no harm" if the engine is running a few minutes to heat up while "under NO load" (not being ridden... just idle)...

It's what, $5 max for a quart of good name brand oil... the cheapest engine I can find to replace the stock one is almost $450 after shipping charges and it's not a "direct fit" (swap wires and regulator/rectifiers/cdi/etc.)...

I myself don't think the Chinese Engine Oil that came with the bike is worth a $445 gamble

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I would ditch the engine oil right away before you even start it... although some see "no harm" if the engine is running a few minutes to heat up while "under NO load" (not being ridden... just idle)...

It's what, $5 max for a quart of good name brand oil... the cheapest engine I can find to replace the stock one is almost $450 after shipping charges and it's not a "direct fit" (swap wires and regulator/rectifiers/cdi/etc.)...

I myself don't think the Chinese Engine Oil that came with the bike is worth a $445 gamble
Makes perfect sense. I have a stupid question. The front axle bolt comes with the bolt, nut, and spacer. Where does the spacer go? Outside forks on the Left (brakes) side? Or was this just used for shipping? I'm guessing it needs to be used, correct?

Old 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #12

And I've read the brake fluid should be changed out. Anyone else read and/or do this? It's super easy and I have a ton a brake fluid. Just didn't know if I'm wasting my time doing it...

Old 03-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #13

The front should be like every other motorcycle I have seen and worked on, usually looks something like

Spacer / Wheel / Speedometer pickup

I don't own a HAWK so I'm no help as to what it should actually look like

DOT 4 brake fluid will be your friend just make sure you are using an unopened bottle every time... brake fluid is "hygroscopic" and absorbs water from the air

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
And I've read the brake fluid should be changed out. Anyone else read and/or do this? It's super easy and I have a ton a brake fluid. Just didn't know if I'm wasting my time doing it...
my break fluid is fine its a 2016
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #15

also those forks go all the way down till the top is flush with the trees.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250