Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #1

Doc is a Chinarider again!

It's been a long time since I've had a CB in my garage, although I have enjoyed riding Spud's Zong the past few summers:-)

Ron is moving to Arizona, and had donated me his CB, figuring I'm someone who would appreciate it.

It needed a little work, go figure LOL!

The exhaust was falling off (more Locktite), the battery was low (added some distilled H20, good to go), the chain needed oiling and adjusting (such a tiny chain!), replaced the taillight bulb (one filament burned out), and check the oil and add gas. Hit the starter and she lights right up, happy as a Lab puppy.

I remember what I like about these Hondoids. The are so easy and friendly to ride. They feel like an XR200 with a serious overeating problem but they ride nice.

It needs a bath. It's been sitting in a corner of Ron's shop for 3+ years.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #2

Where is he moving to in this gosh-forsaken state?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Congratulations Doc! Low mileage to boot! Almost the exact bike I bought, the difference is yours has a rear disc, and smaller rear sprocket. Well put, 'like an XR200 with a serious overeating problem'.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

sweet man nice ride kman

Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

Oh how I missed riding a CB!

I'd forgotten that a new CB is just a starting point...

Todays little projects were lubing and adjusting the clutch cable. It was not engaging and disengaging properly but it's great now.

I washed the bike and repaired some paint damaged by an acid drip. The vent tube was not long enough to rach past the frame.

I cleaned and properly oiled the airfilter. It was totally dry! I don't think the factory oiled it at all!

I replaced the obnoxious beeping flasher unit with a left over one form my KLX I had on hand. I upgraded the KLX's to a digital LED unit when I installedthe Edge/12 O'Clock labs tail light unit. The install on the CB took some careful soldering but I got it done and it works great.

I removed some silly (IMHO) opinion decals (in Chinglish, lo less) and locktited some more bolts.

I found the pivot bolt from the clutch was falling out and one of the bolts for the valve cover was falling out too.

I rode the bike about 40 miles today, on the road around town, and enjoyed it very much.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Where is he moving to in this gosh-forsaken state?
Mesa.

I don't really like the Phoenix Megaopolus but I though AZ was a good place, no?

Little taxes, no state inclome tax, great winter weather, decent 2nd Ammendment respect, and amazingly varied geography.

No?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oviking99 View Post
Congratulations Doc! Low mileage to boot! Almost the exact bike I bought, the difference is yours has a rear disc, and smaller rear sprocket. Well put, 'like an XR200 with a serious overeating problem'.
It had maybe 500 miles on it. Poor Ron never really got to enjoy it.

When I first rode these bikes (I had an identical one at the same time in blue, my first CB) I realized the stock gearing was stupid. I forget what I changed the sprockets too, but IIRC I addd a tooth to the countershaft, and changed the rear to a 45 tooth, and chopped about 7 links out of the chain.

Even so it is still geared low, but 1st will allow the bike to crawl up some serious hills even though it does not have much power, and weights about as much as an F-150 ;-)

Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Mesa.

I don't really like the Phoenix Megaopolus but I though AZ was a good place, no?

Little taxes, no state inclome tax, great winter weather, decent 2nd Ammendment respect, and amazingly varied geography.

No?
It's hot and then hotter. To be honest, I really think Yuma is unique in being bad. Taxes are much higher than I remember them being in California , such as sales tax, and come to think of it, I don't remember income taxes being as much of a burden in California. I could live a felon's life by carrying my pistol and owning my AK and probably live better in Cali., LOL.

Then again, I have never lived in the Phoenix area, which ironically is slightly less as far as costs of living than Yuma. Being a teacher with the Dept. Of Corrections, I could easily transfer to Phoenix area which does have less traffic than L.A....hmmmm

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #9

Congrats! It looks like there's a little cross-breeding, from my POV. The side plastic is the same as my Roketa, but the speedometer and tach are the same as my Lifan. I hope it gives you many happy miles.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #10

Congratulations! Only 500 miles on the odometer?! It's not even broken in!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #11

I'm already fantasizing about a Weld/Spud/SOWAG/Doc all Chinese intermountain adventure to the Salt Flats next summer!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #12

Almost brand new bike. Wishing you many happy miles on it. Slowdoc rego, how cool!

Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
I'm already fantasizing about a Weld/Spud/SOWAG/Doc all Chinese intermountain adventure to the Salt Flats next summer!
Dude! Epic!

I hope that my TW with Zongshen engine parts and tank qualifies.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #14

I think it cleaned up well. Looks new.

So I go to take it to work today. Won't start. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Stupid Chinese piece of........

So I think about what's wrong. CDI? Chinaplug? Chinahoses in fuel line? All the bad things.

Finally, just as I run the battery down, I check the kill switch....

It was set to 'Off'.

I'm such a moron.

I don't know how it got switched, I never use the kill switch. It also doesn't help that the 'Run' and 'Stop' positions are not marked, but in any event it started right up and was fun to ride to work this morning.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #15

That GY200 looks just like new! I hope Sophia is not getting jealous.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894