Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 03:26 AM   #1

Confused Newbie…Please help!

OK. I have been lurking on this and several other forums, and I have been reading about Chicom motorcycles for weeks. I was going to order a HI-Bird 250 from Tim at Vbike; but I really want to go riding and I am tired of waiting for them to arrive. Then two days ago I spotted the Tomoto 200 (http://bikesfactory.com/carb-dirt-bi...cc-enduro.html) and the VX200SX-H (http://bikesfactory.com/new-dirt-bike-200cc-enduro.html) motorcycles being sold at bikesfactory.com. These guys are also selling the same bikes on 3 or more other web sites. Cautious by nature, I did some more research in the forums, and now I am really confused. :?:

NYGunman ordered the ShineRay VX200SX-H motorcycle from this vendor, and they canceled his order. They seemed to go out of business for several weeks, but at least he finally got his money back. Now they have been resurrected? :roll:

I believe that elroyjetsn got his Tomoto/Hyunsong 200 from them, and so did theENIGMATIC. Gentlemen, can I trust this vendor? Are they legitimate?

Maybe I should buy a used Jap bike, or wait for Tim at Vbike to get the HI-Bird 250 motorcycles? Doesn’t the Tomoto/Hyunsong 200 have problems with the tranny and first gear? Perhaps the ShineRay VX200SX-H (with the Suzuki motor) is a better motorcycle for the extra hundred dollars; however, the ShineRay is not EPA/DOT approved. Maybe I should get a Roketa 200 instead? Yikes!!! The more I learn, the more confused I get!

:( :?:

Old 07-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #2

Hey Spudrider! I can't help you with the vendor because I have no experience with them but I did notice the specs on both bikes don't match the pics. Both specs are identical, both indicate the bikes have drum rear brakes but the pics show rear disc brakes. Both have the same error regarding gross/net weight. So, be wary! I'd give them a call and talk to someone in service about the bikes and the differences.

I too have been looking for another bike and it is pretty confusing. It seems pretty typical that the online vendors mis-represent the bikes either through using pictures of other model bikes with different specs or overstating the capabilities in the specs. Sorry I can't answer your questions but let us know what you end up getting and your experience with the vendor.

Tim

Shineray Allroad DB-200C

Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #3

Not too long ago, I was in the same boat as you. I finally found, by coincidence, a local guy selling HSUN bikes. I got mine for $1400 (he was asking $1499). I figured that I was better off buying from him because the bike was already built and set up, and he was local in case I had questions, needed parts, etc. He also went along with me to the notary to get the title, tags, and registration done. To me, that was worth the roughly $400 that I could have saved by ordering one from the internet.

My main concern about ordering from the internet was about registering the bike for street use. I understand some guys have a lot of problems with that.

As far as the bikes themselves, this is just my opinion, I think that while there are a number of manufacturers in China making the bikes, they all pretty much use the same parts. They vary some, but I think a lot of the major parts are similar.

Most of the reviews of the bikes here seem positive. Roketas, American Lifan, HSUN (like mine), Shineray, and others all are represented here. Read the stickies regarding set-up, maintenance, and modifications. You really need to be handy with tools. But, the reward is, these bikes are really fun to ride.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #4

Got some more information...

Metcalfguitars (Tim), I called the toll-free telephone number and talked to the sales department about both motorcycles. The answer was short and sweet. Neither bike is in stock, and they aren’t going to be receiving either of them in the future, either! :(

On the plus side, a courteous receptionist answered the telephone quickly, and she promptly transferred me to a salesman. The salesman also quickly, directly answered my questions. In case you were wondering, the photographs accurately described the bikes, not the specifications. :roll:

On the negative side, they really should update their web pages. I saw both these motorcycles listed for sale on at least three other websites owned by the same company. Also, it would be nice if they could list the specifications accurately. :roll:

Tim, can you tell me more about your Shineray Allroad DB-200C? Is it similar to the ShineRay VX200SX-H that is not for sale at bikesfactory.com? If I might ask, where did you get the bike, and how much did you pay for it? :?:

Chinaguy, I was raised in Central Pennsylvania and lived there until I moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1989. May I ask where you reside? Where do you go riding? Would you mind telling me the name of the local HSUN vendor?

Thank you gentlemen, for your help.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #5

Hey Spud, I sent a PM so check your inbox. Tim

Shineray Allroad DB-200C

Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #6

which to buy?

If you can find one, best deal might still be a used japanese bike. These chinese moto's are fun but if you don't wanna work on it (a lot), don't buy one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metcalfguitars
Hey Spud, I sent a PM so check your inbox. Tim

Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #7

This one has some bikes in stock,
http://www.kabra-offroad.com/cart/in...1ccea88bd4fedb

I don't know anything about them, But the site seems well put togethor.

And I second the comment about buying Jap if You don't want to turn a wrench.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #8

Re: Got some more information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider

Chinaguy, I was raised in Central Pennsylvania and lived there until I moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1989. May I ask where you reside? Where do you go riding? Would you mind telling me the name of the local HSUN vendor?

Near Selinsgrove. The HSUN dealer is just outside of Shamokin. He also has a pet store along side. Claims he's been in business selling bikes for about 4 years.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #9

The saga continues...

Metcalf, I got your PM, and I sent one in return. Thank you for the information.

Duck, thanks for the input. I actually went looking at a used Yamaha TW200 just today.

AZ200cc, thanks for the lead on the web site. I will give them a phone call tomorrow.

Chinaguy, my brother used to live in Camp Hill, PA. Also, I went to Penn State, so I am familiar with your area. Thanks for all of your help.

At this point, I am actively considering both new and used Jap and Chicom motorcycles. However, I truly wish Tim at Vbike currently had the HI-Bird 250cc motorcycles in stock. HI-Bird seems to be a pretty good brand, and Tim had a killer price on those bikes. Also, people say good things about him as a vendor.