Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #1

Constantly stripping hardware

Does anybody else constanly strip nuts and bolts. The 10mm that came in my magicians tool kit was such a pos it bent and i started to strip like half my 10mms on my bike before i noticed. Now im having an extremely hard time getting off the rear axle nut so i can tighten the chain n rear tire and its stripping. Are the nuts junk am i uusing junk or wrong tool? Its easy to mix tools thy use mm and inch. Sizes? Foegive if this is posted somewhere but any good site to find replacment bolts, nuts, parts etc?

Old 08-17-2022, 11:03 AM   #2

It's all Metric, only Harley is stupid enough to use SAE hardware on a shaky motorcycle. Don't use the tools in the cheap tool kit.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:18 AM   #3

Almost every fastener on a Chinese bike except possibly the axle bolts/nuts should be one of the following: 8, 10, 12, 14 (rare), or 17mm (usually on suspension components) mm hex; 4, 5, or 6 (sometimes, on the handlebar clamps) mm Allen. #2 Phillips in some cases. I have found that Chinese cross-head fasteners have the "dot" on them as if they are JIS heads but in reality they're not, and they're just regular Phillips.

Axle nuts and axle bolt heads are commonly 17 or 19mm (front), 27 or 32 mm (rear). Same as small Honda bikes, to no one's surprise.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #4

I wouldn't be surprised if those stripped bolts wind up shaking off at some point, probably sooner than later

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 08-17-2022, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post
#2 Phillips in some cases. I have found that Chinese cross-head fasteners have the "dot" on them as if they are JIS heads but in reality they're not, and they're just regular Phillips.
Not sure about your bike but every single one found on my Hawk has been a JIS. Using a regular Phillips on them is a sure way to turn them into sealed fasteners.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-18-2022, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGcloner229 View Post
Does anybody else constanly strip nuts and bolts. The 10mm that came in my magicians tool kit was such a pos it bent and i started to strip like half my 10mms on my bike before i noticed. Now im having an extremely hard time getting off the rear axle nut so i can tighten the chain n rear tire and its stripping. Are the nuts junk am i uusing junk or wrong tool? Its easy to mix tools thy use mm and inch. Sizes? Foegive if this is posted somewhere but any good site to find replacment bolts, nuts, parts etc?

Replacement nuts and bolts should be available at your local hardware store or online.

I mean the bolts/screws and such are cheaper ones, but I have not really had any issue with them rounding off or otherwise.

For example, the rear axle nut, I usually just use an adjustable wrench so I'm not being especially careful.

Basically, use quality tools (of the correct size) and gain some experience when it comes to fasteners. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Not sure about your bike but every single one found on my Hawk has been a JIS. Using a regular Phillips on them is a sure way to turn them into sealed fasteners.

Great, so it's inconsistent, too.

All of the "JIS" heads on my Enforcer are as far as I can tell regular Phillips. Ditto with the couple of SSR's I've taken apart. The only cross-head fasteners on my Orion were the screws holding the rear inner mudguard on, and those were regular Phillips, too -- but not marked with the dot.

JIS drivers tend to grab Phillips even better than Phillips does, but the reverse obviously isn't true. Maybe rule of thumb should just be to reach for the JIS driver first, and better safe than sorry...

Old 08-18-2022, 02:49 PM   #8

2 clicks of the wrist should be safe, when you start clicking elbows for torque is when trouble starts.

That being said the cheap toolkit I got which looks like the majority of included motorcycle tool kits with the China bikes are sloppy at best. Better than nothing in an emergency.

But for regular maintenance I would go with a better quality tolerance tool kit at home.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:12 PM   #9

The tool kits on the chinese motorcycle are so bad, that they are not being issued anymore in my country, because the broke fast, even take the allen and apply some force, it will bend like you are neo from the matrix.

You can either buy the tools as you need them, or you can get a tool kit for japanese motorcycles.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #10

My TBR7 is my second Chinese bike, and if I'm not mistaken the rear axle adjustment nuts were all closer to a 13mm, than a 12mm on this TBR7, as well as the Brozz250 I had

Old 08-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #11

OP, your talk of stripping bolts threw me off. You actually mean rounding off the hex heads on bolts. Stripping is what happens to threads.

But anyway, the solution is to use good tools. As soon as I got my KPX I added good quality 8mm and 10mm combination wrenches to my toolkit. The 13mm combo I have does not fit in the toolkit box, so it will go in my luggage rack box when it comes next week.

For loosening. Screws are easier to break free if they are tight by putting some tension on the screw or bolt head with the wrench, while tapping the wrench to set up some vibration.

For tightening, I go to just snug, then about 1/16 to 1/8 turn more, and often use blue Loctite. Never more than about 1/8 turn on small screws/bolts. The only exception is for important nuts or bolts that have known torque values, such as axles, motor mounts, head bolts etc. Be especially careful with steel fasteners going into aluminum threads, like spark plugs. Just snug.

Also, whenever possible I use 6-point sockets, not open-end or 12-point wrenches.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 08-18-2022, 03:21 PM   #12

I don't use open end wrenches unless there is no room for the box end. And all get you in motorcycle tool kits are open end wrenches! Exception is box end for axels in Japanese tools. I use an impact driver the loosen Philips when they are tight. So easy to gnarl a Philips head trying to loosen with insufficient push!
I don't know why I hold onto the cheap open end wrenches! Should throw out a bad tool, and I have better open ends in a few combination wrench sets. Husky isn't bad. I break out the gear wrenches for things like valve covers. Just add friction with a finger and they ratchet even when loose!
My favorite tool is Makita power ratchet. Variable speed, 3/8 and 1/4 convertible. Awesome! Good tools are worth every penny. I collect them!

Last edited by Thumper; 08-18-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:05 PM   #13

ratcheting hinged end ring spanners are also a gift from the tinkering gods.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I don't use open end wrenches unless there is no room for the box end. And all get you in motorcycle tool kits are open end wrenches! Exception is box end for axels in Japanese tools. I use an impact driver the loosen Philips when they are tight. So easy to gnarl a Philips head trying to loosen with insufficient push!
I don't know why I hold onto the cheap open end wrenches! Should throw out a bad tool, and I have better open ends in a few combination wrench sets. Husky isn't bad. I break out the gear wrenches for things like valve covers. Just add friction with a finger and they ratchet even when loose!
My favorite tool is Makita power ratchet. Variable speed, 3/8 and 1/4 convertible. Awesome! Good tools are worth every penny. I collect them!
I agree on the use of an impact driver

Old 08-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
I agree on the use of an impact driver
Bought my first impact driver to rebuild a 2stroke engine on my first bike, a Suz TS250. I think I am on my third one!