Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2023, 04:30 PM   #1

Just joined the Tao Tao club!

I was looking for a cheap solution to move some stuff around our property and possibly plow some snow in the winter.

I stumbled across the Tao Tao Rhino and was able to find one on Craigslist for $1000 bucks that has never been ridden. The owner told me his mom got it for him and his friend built it, but he never actually used it after that.

I went to pick it up, paid the money and it all looked pretty great. Tires still have the extra rubber on the seam ridge and it looks unridden to me.

The battery has seen better days as it's been sitting for a couple years.
I drained the old gas, removed the carb, and ordered a new one (coming today) I installed the back rack and plastic surrounds for the foot areas, and with a new battery it sounds like it wants to start. The engine is cranking but no ignition.

I checked the spark plug and it looks like it's never been used, it does spark though.

I'll install the new carb PZ27 and air filter tonight and try starting it again.

I've been looking for a forum with other owners for a week and finally found this one today!

Old 11-20-2023, 04:50 PM   #2

Welcome aboard!
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-20-2023, 05:19 PM   #3

Nice.
Time to go check all the bolts and / or go regrease everyyyyyything.
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike

Old 11-20-2023, 06:34 PM   #4

Thats a good deal,think you will like it

Old 11-20-2023, 08:20 PM   #5

Nice looking rig. Welcome.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-20-2023, 10:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
Nice.
Time to go check all the bolts and / or go regrease everyyyyyything.
Good call. I need to do that tomorrow.

Today I got the new carb installed and it started first try. It was idling at full throttle though. I pulled the throttle cable and realized I misunderstood the comments about the notch. I aligned to the channel the throttle cable goes through, not the cutout on the opposite side.

After rotating things around I was able to start it up and take my first ride up the driveway. Sadly it died at the top of the driveway. Though it was because I had been adjusting the fuel and air mix screws when it was running full throttle. Turns out I had flipped the fuel switch and my first ride was on whatever was in the tubing. Whoops.

Tomorrow I need to adjust the mix screws again on the carb to try to get the idle just right and swap out the oil to something better than whatever was in there from the factory.

Woohooo!

Old 11-21-2023, 07:13 AM   #7

Greetings. I have had a Rhino since 2019. It has well over 2000 hours on it so far and runs as good as new. While the engine has been perfect I have had to replace nearly all the wheel bearings as well as the swing arm bearings and ball joint rubbers. Be sure to grease the swing arm bearings. The swing arm itself also cracked and was welded.

The most significant change I made was to lower the gear ratio which was absurdly high for the kind of riding I do.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #8

I'm trying to find a good guide on tuning the new carb. I bought this PZ27 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9XX7TN...roduct_details
and it works 100% better than the one that was on there since that didn't work at all.

I'm having trouble getting the fuel and air mix right. I've searched around and haven't found a step by step guide on how to adjust these screws. I read about being too rich or too lean and I'm not sure what i'm listening for.

I'm just trying to get things to a middle ground. As far as I can determine from reading and watching videos, if you get to a decent spot adjusting the air screw can get things dialed in.

The problem I'm running into is that the fuel mix adjustment screw is on the bottom of the carb which is nearly inaccessible. I'm able to get in there with a tiny screwdriver, but not if the engine has been running as the exhaust is there to melt my skin off. Is there a better way to get to that screw that I'm missing?

Old 11-21-2023, 06:08 PM   #9

Access to the idle mix screw isn't easy. One thing that can help is to find a piece of rubber tube, like automotive vacuum line that fits snugly over the screw and secure it with a drop of super glue. Then use a pair of needle nose pliers to reach in and turn it a few degrees at a time.
I'm using the stock carb with this jetting. Newer models may well be different.
Pilot jet K34 stock
Main jet 94 stock
Installed 98 main jet

Unfortunately carb tuning is largely a matter of knowing what to listen for and that is very hard to describe. I'm sure there are some YouTube videos on how it's done.

Tags
tao tao rhino 250cc atv, taotao 250