Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #46

I wish I'd had read your post sooner. I just subscribed so I can get instant notifications to your post. I also wish I had seen your December post sooner because I arrived in Medellin on December 31 to visit my wife who lives about a mile from your starting point. I drove around a few days with her looking to buy an AKT TT250... No luck. Backordered at least 4 months. We're buying 2 used for an August trip. Would've loved to accompany you. I'm sitting in NY on the phone with my wife in Medellin both looking at your route and pics and laughing our asses off. Love the boot dryers. You, my friend, have some serious balls. You may have taken the shortest/quickest route to Ecuador but it must've been DESOLATE! That looks like guerilla country to us.

How's your stomach? Been there many times. I'm investigating the name of the drug you need to clean out those parasites. I'll let you know asap.

Last edited by FMore2; 02-05-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:40 AM   #47

This is what my wife gives me when I get sick in Colombia. Both available without a prescription and inexpensive.

Metronidazol (generic name) is an antibiotic effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. It is effective for dracunculiasis, giardiasis, trichomoniasis, and amebiasis.

Albendazol (generic) is a medication used for the treatment of a variety of parasitic worm infestations. It is useful for giardiasis, trichuriasis, filariasis, neurocysticercosis, hydatid disease, pinworm disease, and ascariasis, among others. It is taken by mouth

May I suggest a different route on your return to Medellin? I would go by way of Pasto, Popayan, Cali (or Palmira), Tulua. Then you can continue north (and more direct) to Medellin -OR- if you're in no rush to get back to Medellin, divert slightly east to Armenia, el Eje Cafetero (the coffee region), Nevado del Ruiz (a beautiful snow capped volcano... dormant), Manizales, Medellin.

Will you be in Medellin in August?

Last edited by FMore2; 02-05-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:53 AM   #48

I don't have experience with using google maps offline but I just discovered and have been playing with:

- Old smartphone (no sim card, no wifi, totally stand-alone)
- Locus Map Pro. $5.99 for the app, although I have read the LocusMapFree version also works offline.
- BROUTER app. Free app. You need to download this app as well to get the Locus app to work offline.

I've tested it driving around in my car and can vouch for it. Even turn by turn directions work. To my surprise, IT REALLY WORKS! Works so well that I've put my Garmin GPS up for sale on Ebay.

Last edited by FMore2; 02-05-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #49

Do you have the bike's service manual? I emailed the pdf to my cell phones in case I run into any trouble on the road.

Last edited by FMore2; 02-05-2017 at 01:26 AM.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #50

Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMore2 View Post
Do you have the bike's service manual? I emailed the pdf to my cell phones in case I run into any trouble on the road.
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/RX3-Tutorials-s/282.htm
This link to this website is where I'm getting my maintenance info. I do all my own maintenance on all my bikes so I can handle most problems if need be. A flat tire in the middle of nowhere is my concern so I carry stuff with me.
It's been since high school that I've patched a tube 😩
I am going to be in Huanuco in a week to see Toby Shannon of Around the Block Tours. He runs a business selling and renting, maintaining the Chinese 250s.
Mine is running well at 10000km on the clock.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #51

La Casona de Chachapoyas hotel

One thing about life south of the Rio Grande is they hardly ever leave your moto on the street. The sidewalk to get in here was a small step for man and a giant leap for my 18" front wheel. I stalled the first attempt and my hotel hostess ran to fetch me a small board for a ramp. I was relieved as a small group was forming to witness the impending crash and embarrassment!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (100.5 KB, 230 views)

Old 02-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #52

Thanks for tip

Quote:
This is what my wife gives me when I get sick in Colombia. Both available without a prescription and inexpensive.

Metronidazol (generic name) is an antibiotic effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. It is effective for dracunculiasis, giardiasis, trichomoniasis, and amebiasis.

I picked up some today. I'm trying it.

May I suggest a different route on your return to Medellin? I would go by way of Pasto, Popayan, Cali (or Palmira), Tulua. Then you can continue north (and more direct) to Medellin -OR- if you're in no rush to get back to Medellin, divert slightly east to Armenia, el Eje Cafetero (the coffee region), Nevado del Ruiz (a beautiful snow capped volcano... dormant), Manizales, Medellin.

Will you be in Medellin in August?
I don't plan to return to Colombia with the moto. I don't like to backtrack any more than I have to. I'm headed as far south as time permits and then dispose or store the bike for a return in the future.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #53

Crying

That's me.. Green with envy

Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #54

Dispose of or store your bike... I'm curious as to how that's going to work out. Upon entry to all countries doesn't the bike get recorded in your passport?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Dispose of or store your bike... I'm curious as to how that's going to work out. Upon entry to all countries doesn't the bike get recorded in your passport?
You are correct F2! I may have to give it up for parts value?
It is a problem I have to figure out. Another reason to come back.?

I bought gas twice like this today on the scary (for me) road from Chachapoyas to Celendin. It was very twisty and narrow. A one lane road for 240km. I met a truck in a curve and he had to stop and back up for me. Lucky we were both going slow! The very high and steep slopes and no guard rail had me a tad puckered. 😫 The good news, it was all paved. It took me 7 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0256.jpg (96.1 KB, 229 views)

Old 02-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #56

Many mountain vistas in these Andes!

The views from the top are great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0265.jpg (98.1 KB, 229 views)

Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #57

Great pics. Especially the horse behind the wicker fence. Jeez... the amount of work that went into that only to have to start over in a year or two after it rots!

The Rx3 is also popular in Chile and Argentina. Perhaps you can sell it there? In Chile it's imported by Derco Motors and I believe it's called RX3. In Argentina it's branded Corven... called Triax Touring 250.

How's your stomach? I remember one medication I had to take for 3 days. The other for 10 days and a follow up pill on the 20th day.
Alcohol is strictly forbidden with Metronidazol. Can be serious/dangerous.

I just returned from picking up my Harley at the dealership. My parked bike had been knocked over and the front wheel driven over by a school bus, bending the fork and causing other misc damage. I left the dealership and a few blocks away I heard a lot of rattling. A few minutes later I drove over the Queensboro bridge into Manhattan then pulled over. The front brake caliper was free floating on the disk and the 2 bolts which hold the caliper to the fork were missing.
Up pulls up a guy with a big Harley decal on the window of his car to offer assistance. It turns out to be an employee of said dealership who happens to have one bolt and pliers. WTF! What are the chances? lol. I almost didn't make it home driving 5 mph to write this message. lol How's that for an adventure?

Last edited by FMore2; 02-06-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #58

At least your safe and sound. Be careful up there in wild new York city. It's a jungle, as much as South America
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
At least your safe and sound. Be careful up there in wild new York city. It's a jungle, as much as South America
You're right! As I was standing at the curb I saw about a dozen Amazon women walk past me. I had pulled over right in front of the famous Scores Gentlemen's Club and their shift was about to start. Had I had clarity of mind I would've realized that was a "sign" and would've stayed to warm up and enjoy a beer or two.
C of NY. ♬♪♫ Welcome to the jungle, baby ♬♪♫

Old 02-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #60

Quote:
You're right! As I was standing at the curb I saw about a dozen Amazon women walk past me. I had pulled over right in front of the famous Scores Gentlemen's Club and their shift was about to start. Had I had clarity of mind I would've realized that was a "sign" and would've stayed to warm up and enjoy a beer or two.
C of NY. ♬♪♫ Welcome to the jungle, baby ♬♪♫
Just like South American Montezuma's Revenge, that stuff you catch in the urban jungle will kill ya too.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Last edited by BlackBike; 02-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.