Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #391

So yesterday was a beautifully sunshiny day and with the resent coastal storms and more rain scheduled for today I told the boss to shove it and went for a ride yesterday. Being self-annoyed I do that probably too much. Figured it would be a "last hurrah ride" before it turns to cold. Went about 75 miles total and as far as I was concerned I could of been riding the Dalton or Serengeti in my mind. This was for therapy, why I have ridden since I was a kid. Just get out and go to someplace to explore, bring back the excitement and freshness of the day I thru my leg over my first motorcycle. A Hodaka ace 100. Left GPS, panniers, crash bars home so I would have to behave myself and not get to frisky on the gravel roads I planned to ride. Also I was by myself with no one to help pick me up or call 911. Stopped at the local convenient store and got a sweet tea and a ice cream cookie. True survival food for the adventurer.
There is this gravel road that for 50+ years I have driven by on the main highway and I've always wondered where it went. Well yesterday was THE DAY. I road it and several other connecting roads making a circuit around the valley I have lived in all my life ending up winding my way back to the farm I grew up on that brother still farms . The road basically was a rural gravel road with ups and downs and twisties through the wheat fields of this area.
The RX3 was perfect for this, hauled me down the highway to the gravel road then all over the gravel roads and back home. To me this was more of an adrenalin rush then some of my longer camping trips or doing the Iron Butt. Cause it was unscheduled and I was being naughty for skipping work.
This was one time in life where I was in control of things and everything from the bike to the ride was superb and went as expected even thou the scenery was ...............well just dirt fields. I did see a group of maybe 6-8 horses in a pasture and imagined being down on the African plains watching a bunch of gazelles. And heading down a straight part of gravel road with ups and downs I imagined I was running along the pipeline headed to the Artic.

View of the Walla Walla valley I grew up in

I had FUN, the bike was FUN, the scenery was way better then looking at the walls of my dungeon. I escaped, if only for a few hours. rj

Old 10-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #392

Work to live, not live to work. Nice!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #393

Rj, I did one of those super gravel marble roads. They really wake you up don't they! If they don't you will pay the price for sure. Really calls for undivided attention.

I see the tail ends of those horses so looks like they were not too sure what to make of the 2 wheel fast mover. I always have a big laugh at the cattle with there "oh sh/t looks". The dogs are always up for a good race too
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-21-2016, 01:15 AM   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy dog View Post
i use a socket on mine and it is still rounding off on the inside recycled alloy i suspect
Mine did the same on my first valve adjustment-I freaked out a little, and called Gerry to ask what to do. I was using a socket, too-he suggested tapping it lightly into the fitting with a mallet, and then heating it up before trying to back it out. I don't have a heat gun, so I borrowed my wife's hair dryer, set it on high, and warmed it up. Came right out. I used anti-seize when I put it back in, and ordered a new one (for a whopping $1.25) to replace it with next time.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #395

Tool Storage V 2.0

The ABS tube (tractor manual holder) was OK but I knew I could get more storage if I made a rectangular box. V 2.0 fits on the same bracket as V 1.0.

I'm sure I can pack more in this opening:

On the bike:

And there is still room to secure the hard bag to the rack:

Joe, CSC could sell a bunch of these!

Peter Y.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #396

Very nice pyoungbl. How much would you need apiece to make a run of them for a group buy? rj

Old 10-25-2016, 12:55 AM   #397

If the other is a burrito tube , what's this called?

Nice work!

Nice fab table too
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #398

So with the rainy season here I decided to do a KLR on my bike and add the
dreaded milk crate fender flaps. Actually they are made from a 3 ring binder that I got for $2 at Staples closeout. Not the best color choice but that's all they had. hope it will keep all the road goo from covering my engine and forks better. rj

Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
If the other is a burrito tube , what's this called?
Nice work!

Nice fab table too
Thanks. A real fab shop could crank out these boxes for a reasonable price. I can't. As for the fab table, it's a 5' X 7' hunk of 1" Corten steel mounted on mobile home axle and wheels. The plate itself is about 1,000 lbs so I can bang on it all day and do no harm. It sure is fun to have these toys to play with.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:33 AM   #400

Pyoung... you bet I thought it was 3/4 or so -inch very nice, there some weight there.

Rjm...attack of the trapper keeper. Should work.. I here is rains a little out there.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #401

Put my 13t sproket on. I LOVE it! No more slipping the clutch just to get started. Its just wonderful. Adjusted my valves at 1500 miles. They were all around .06mm so i opened them up a bit. The first time ive needed to touch them, and i dont ride it easy. I may change to the 45t rear next year when my chain wears out. Tode about 100 miles of back roads and about 50 miles of forest roads and gravel. Still very impressed with the bike. Also...it was 88 degrees and sunny. Perfect.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #402

I did both the 13T and 45T on at the same time so I can't comment on the difference but the math says that the 13T increases torque by about 7% and the 45T adds another 3%. I'm loving mine. I did some really steep climbing today and the bike was super happy in 2nd gear between 10 and 25mph and still OK at 30.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:00 PM   #403

what did it do to top speed? (the 13/45 combo?) as per speedo. I dont use gps all that often.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:11 AM   #404

Well, I have a speedoDRD so my speedo shows correct speed. What I can say is that my original REAL/GPS/SpeedoDRD corrected speed was 76. Now it's 72. That is also with the changeover to Shinko 244's which are pretty nobby vs the OEM CST tires. Not sure if that slowed the bike down at all.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #405

what did i do to my Zongshen RX3/KTNS RS3 from the day i bought it back in September till today...

1. first thing first, installed the double/centre stand

2. then installed the handle guard

3. few weeks later installed this 90deg air valve extension

4. and a friend of mine did the wiring for the flood light & install the bottle holder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2395 (800x600).jpg (59.7 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2397 (800x600).jpg (62.8 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2398 (800x600).jpg (53.7 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2399 (800x600).jpg (73.3 KB, 413 views)