Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2023, 11:35 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpixel View Post
@ChopperCharles:
And the choke is located on the clutch lever rather than down at the engine, which is good because the Templar needs the help more often.
This just means you are jet too lean. If you already bumped the pilot jet one step and shimmed the needle, adjust the airmix screw as T-Pete suggests (open it up a bit more-counterclockwise).

If you are already two turns out, bump the pilot jet to the next size. You could shim the needle if you haven't done that yet, but it is more likely to be the pilot jet or airscrew setting.

My Templar needs choke in the Winter when it is cold but doesn't need it for more than 10 seconds, or less. In Summer, it doesn't need choke at all if I have been running it the same day (maybe just to start, then no choke). If it is cold, brief choke just to start, then not needed.

I like to run more rich. It runs cooler and it is easier on the piston and rod bearings.

Last edited by Thumper; 12-28-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Old 12-28-2023, 04:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
This just means you are jet too lean.
I don't want to derail someone's thread with my non-issue, just figured it's a valid out of the box comparison (TT250 on stock carb vs TemplarX on stock carb). The spark plug was very sooty black in the Templar which everything I've read indicates too rich, so that's interesting that it could be the opposite, but it's not enough of an annoyance for me to worry about. The TT250 spark plug is less-dark-black with a hint of light gray, so I'm actually surprised TT250 is the one not needing choke.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:12 AM   #3

That normally means the pilot jet is a little lean (cold starting issue) and your main jet is fat (black plug).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpixel View Post
I don't want to derail someone's thread with my non-issue, just figured it's a valid out of the box comparison (TT250 on stock carb vs TemplarX on stock carb). The spark plug was very sooty black in the Templar which everything I've read indicates too rich, so that's interesting that it could be the opposite, but it's not enough of an annoyance for me to worry about. The TT250 spark plug is less-dark-black with a hint of light gray, so I'm actually surprised TT250 is the one not needing choke.