Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #16

Re: Carb or Throttle issue..suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Alright, so I only had time today to installl pipe and ignition and finish reassembly...so original carb still on.

Bike idles fine but give it the gas and she bogs out...even putting around in first gear you have to feather the throttle or it dies.
The thimb throtttle does have 3/4" of free play (how to adjust?) but I think this is a classic carb problem.

With the yardwork, Thanksgiving, etc I could really save some time if anyone knew the quick answer. Sure, i could give up and put the Mikuni on but I dont have time right now and thats a chickens way out...this must be fixable.

I would really appreciate any insight on this (float-slide-etc).

Thanks a bunch!

Pete
Hey Pete,

Our Beast has considerable throttle free-play as well (which is a good thing), but what's paramount is that the throttle opens and closes fully. If you need to adjust it, there should be a mid-cable adjuster downstream of the thumb throttle.

Regarding the bog, check the air / fuel screw. I can't remember where ours ended up, but gently turn the screw until it seats (counting the turns) and then back it out a different amount. That type of flow-chart approach will find the answer quickly. Theoretically, the ideal air / fuel ratio will produce peak idle rpm; so much so that you might need to turn down the idle and start over. The really hard part is finding a screwdriver to access that bloody screw under the carb. I think I ended up using a 1/4" ratchet and a #2 phillips bit, but I can't remember for sure.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #17

Thank you both for the answers....i gave up late last night with the bike in the middle of the backyard...a few moments ago i ventured out side for a look see.....air fuel screw or idle screw (dont know which one if it even had both) is gone.....I clearly remember a spring loaded shiny screw before...and now, nothing.

This may explain why it ran around the yard just peachy for 30 minutes before crapping out.

I have no hope of finding said screw so I guess I'll just put the Mikuni on.

Thank You again

Pete

Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #18

I only have a couple hours before I have to go in to work (yay).

EDIT: Yes, it was the carb, as well as the missing screw, the clip that sets the lean/rich mixture was off the needle...dont ask me how it ever ran in the first place.
MIKUNI: Nice piece, the slide looks to be coated, maybe Teflon? There are 2 issues, one small and one PITA...idle needs adjusting, fine...but the bigger problem is the choke.

I have read others comments where they say the bracket wont fit, but I have no choice but to try....the choke on the Mikuni keeps flipping ON...it does not have a big external return spring like the original did, just a very small internal one (I think) and a small detent. After 30 seconds of vibration the choke slips to the "on" position and stalls the bike....Takes no pressure to push the choke lever "on"...I think if a fly landed on it it would engage, so you can imagine what a few seconds of ATV vibration does to it.

The Mikuni has the same cable bracket and locating pin as the original carb...it looks like that arm will come right off the old one and on the Mikuni...lets hope so.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection it looks like a direct swap (choke bracket and return spring). the plastic choke lever is identical and the casting boss on the Mikuni is in the same place...

Looks like it can be done with the carb on. I know, better to take it off, but less risk of screwing up the slide-needle-spring if i leave it on...in reality it is only a Phillips screw and a spring. The choke cable is easy to get on the lever.

Forgot to mention..when I dissassembled the original carb, the throttle cable that is attached to the slide was NOT running correctly down the "inside" of the spring, but jammed between the spring and slide housing. It even has score marks on it.
When I removed the air filter, you could almost dump the gas out of it, which may be caused by a stuck float? On the other hand, the float moved freely and there was no grunge in the bowl at all.
Pete

Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #19

Sorry, but I still have not figured out what machine this is? Sound like you guys like it, so I will be watching to learn more.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #20

A Beast is a 200cc Gio sport quad. They're loads of fun, but take considerable PDI to make a reliable performer. Once you get past that, you'll grin all day long while riding one.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
Sorry, but I still have not figured out what machine this is? Sound like you guys like it, so I will be watching to learn more.
Just to add to what Weldangrind said, they do not take a considerable amount of money to prep, just your own labor and a few bucks in parts, probably less than a hundred. Sure, I value my time as well as anyone else, but I enjoy working on bikes as opposed to say,..raking leaves

Besides, you sure get to know your machine after ripping it all apart once or twice :wink:

IMHO the one MUST HAVE "extra" part is the 200cc/250cc Mikuni performance carb. I had one shipped with the bike but thought I'd break in it with the stock piece. Never again.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Thank you both for the answers....i gave up late last night with the bike in the middle of the backyard...a few moments ago i ventured out side for a look see.....air fuel screw or idle screw (dont know which one if it even had both) is gone.....I clearly remember a spring loaded shiny screw before...and now, nothing.

This may explain why it ran around the yard just peachy for 30 minutes before crapping out.

I have no hope of finding said screw so I guess I'll just put the Mikuni on.

Thank You again

Pete
Moot point here since you swapped the carb, but I had a similar thing happen to a 50cc and forgot to mention for you to check that. However, the said 50cc wouldn't even start with the missing screw, so that's my out.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 AM   #23

Hey, at least you had an out

The root of the problem was me trying to break the bike in with the stock carb to save time. I chose to ignore the many, many horror stories because of course, MY bike is going be different right? HA!

Well, as my father used to say, 'Its a poor day when you don't learn SOMETHING".

Pete

Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

The root of the problem was me trying to break the bike in with the stock carb to save time. I chose to ignore the many, many horror stories because of course, MY bike is going be different right? HA!

Well, as my father used to say, 'Its a poor day when you don't learn SOMETHING".

Pete
I had some stupid issues with the 50cc carb, namely the slider was in backwards, and wasn't seating all the way to the bottom. When I started it it would scream and take off on me!! Bit of a head scratcher for me at the time, as I didn't have a lot of experience with motorcycle carbs.

Other than that, both my daughters quads have the stock carbs, and to be honest, I have ZERO problems with the running conditions of either, except for perhaps being a 'tad' rich.. nothing bad though. They run real well...but I also don't need a ton of power out of them for my 5 and 7 year olds.

I have other issues..mainly bad front ends due to crappy shocks and just recently, a rear axle issue..

Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

Pete
I had some stupid issues with the 50cc carb, namely the slider was in backwards, and wasn't seating all the way to the bottom. When I started it it would scream and take off on me!! Bit of a head scratcher for me at the time, as I didn't have a lot of experience with motorcycle carbs.

Other than that, both my daughters quads have the stock carbs, and to be honest, I have ZERO problems with the running conditions of either, except for perhaps being a 'tad' rich.. nothing bad though. They run real well...but I also don't need a ton of power out of them for my 5 and 7 year olds.

I have other issues..mainly bad front ends due to crappy shocks and just recently, a rear axle issue..
I'm 6ft, about 185...if I stand on the pegs and lean/bounce the front end, i get about 1" of travel. I am not joking.
Performance shocks arent here yet but they HAVE to be an improvement. So my point is (as you likely know) if the suspension isnt taking the beating, what is? Lets guess

If the machine had of run OK with the stock carb I probably would have done more important things first, and there are many. Stock carb would have been fine.
In an earlier post i mentioned it arrived in REAL good shape, well, I paid for that with the carb . Luck of the draw...I would have preferred a few smashed reflectors and a functional carb, but what can you do right?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

I'm 6ft, about 185...if I stand on the pegs and lean/bounce the front end, i get about 1" of travel. I am not joking.
Performance shocks arent here yet but they HAVE to be an improvement. So my point is (as you likely know) if the suspension isnt taking the beating, what is? Lets guess

If the machine had of run OK with the stock carb I probably would have done more important things first, and there are many. Stock carb would have been fine.
In an earlier post i mentioned it arrived in REAL good shape, well, I paid for that with the carb . Luck of the draw...I would have preferred a few smashed reflectors and a functional carb, but what can you do right?
Haha yeah you just have to remember they make thousands of them a week, then they float over here in a container, knocked around being delivered to the warehouse, kicked around by UPS coming to you etc. There's bound to be something amiss through either shipping damage or world famous Chinese QC. You take the good with the bad.

I'm not surprised about the front end at all. Gio had mentioned some performance shocks for the 110cc, but I haven't seen them yet. I'm 6'6, 260lbs, and I can barely get them to move on this little machine. Tough for my little kids to control the smacks as it sends the things reeling. The hits are being soaked up by the 'A' arm, and it's loosening the bolts which connect the assembly to the frame. I'm constantly tightening. Again, it's rarely at speed hitting bumps, and I wouldn't want it to be the way it is. They were entry quads to see if my kids liked them, and if we got a chance to get them on them enough. We'll see as time passes how I can make them better etc. I've owned them less than a year.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 AM   #27

Part of my "part-time" job (I'm an old retired fellow) requires I operate one of these:

http://www.toro.com/grounds/vehicle/...cro/index.html

I started the summer with a brand spanking new one.

3 motors, and countless parts, later I have come to the conclusion they aren't much better than what GIO sells, sure the Toro is a bit "higher" quality, but not high enough to merit the additional cost.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Part of my "part-time" job (I'm an old retired fellow) requires I operate one of these:

http://www.toro.com/grounds/vehicle/...cro/index.html

I started the summer with a brand spanking new one.

3 motors, and countless parts, later I have come to the conclusion they aren't much better than what GIO sells, sure the Toro is a bit "higher" quality, but not high enough to merit the additional cost.
I did not google it $$, but I have a rough idea depending on model. Thats surprising really.
Based on your posts here as well as the GIO site, I see you're not exactly new to the mechanical world. By that I mean if i were required to use one of them it would be taken care of as Im sure you do as well. Even if you have a staff of mechanics I'm sure you check the oil and dont drive it in to the ground just beacause "the company" owns it.

So like I said, surprising to say the least because they are at least in the top 3 (or higher) for "reputation" and definatly price.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #29

The first engine "made" oil. (I am sure the fuel pump diaphragm was letting fuel into the oil) I was told to operate it (by the dealer) until it would no longer "operate".
Engine #2 lost a pressure line between the oil filter and the oil pump (remote oil filter), possibly related to the engine change, but maybe not, the line just burst.
Engine #3 knocked from new, again I was told to operate it until it wouldn't move, I *guess* Toro won't pay warranty for fixes, just component replacement.

The front end has gone out twice, 1 steering box, 1 outer tie rod end.

The parking brake has never worked.

Usage: 1 hour daily, 1/2 on asphalt, 1/2 on smooth gravel road, maybe carrying 500 lbs MAX.

Not my money, if it was mine, it would have gone back. These are not like the Toro of old, it appears Chinese made, for sure "Asian made".

Old 10-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
The first engine "made" oil. (I am sure the fuel pump diaphragm was letting fuel into the oil) I was told to operate it (by the dealer) until it would no longer "operate".
Engine #2 lost a pressure line between the oil filter and the oil pump (remote oil filter), possibly related to the engine change, but maybe not, the line just burst.
Engine #3 knocked from new, again I was told to operate it until it wouldn't move, I *guess* Toro won't pay warranty for fixes, just component replacement.

The front end has gone out twice, 1 steering box, 1 outer tie rod end.

The parking brake has never worked.

Usage: 1 hour daily, 1/2 on asphalt, 1/2 on smooth gravel road, maybe carrying 500 lbs MAX.

Not my money, if it was mine, it would have gone back. These are not like the Toro of old, it appears Chinese made, for sure "Asian made".
Wow. I would have camped at the dealer with a portable billboard until they replaced the entire machine if it were my dollars.

Too bad about Toro, I looked at a Titan a little while back (out of my price range though) and honestly, for the bucks, it didnt look all THAT great.

I think more and more people are starting to realize that the ONLY goal of a company is to enhance profits to the shareholders, not make great products, keep customers happy, etc.

The CEO knows he's gonna be gone in a few years so the heck with long term strategy...lets outsource to a third world country, lay off a bunch of workers, and we'll have a FANTASTIC third quarter profit.

Oh, lucky the thing didnt burn up with the burst remote filter line...I probably would have stood back and had a smoke while it cooked.

The workload you describe should barely stress the thing. Shame.

Pete