Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #1

Howdy, Y'all

My name is Doug, I am a RN assistant manager in a Cardiac Unit here in SE Ohio. I go by the handle Ohbowhntr, because I am that on most other forums, including hunting forums. I also can be found under the title Mr.Redneck on a couple of outdoors forums is you visit either Hag's House or "The Outdoors Forum." I am a 31 yo daddy of one w/ one on the way. I bought my Chinese DS bike with intention of commuting to work, and enjoying a little off-road time, and doing a little road scouting for deer. To date I have about 800 miles on it and other than the lost battery and battery box, it has treated me pretty well. It runs very well, and has more than paid for the insurance I have on it in $$$ savings from fuel. I am an avid bowhunter, archer, and outdoorsman who enjoys just about anything outdoors, and is a jack-of-all-trades, but master of none. I am also an extremely conservative Christian who follows the road less travelled only because morally it is the road that should be travelled.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #2

I can't shoot a stick and a string. Oh, I've tried, but my left eye dominance problem seems to hurt me, and besides, I'm a firearms kinda guy. I've got a CCW permit, hunted all my life, ducks to deer. I grew up as a rifleman. Learned to shoot left handed at an early age, but can't coordinate left handed with a bow. When I wanna add some challenge, I'll take one of my handguns to the deer stand. When I wanna go primitive, I'll shoot my Hawkin 50. Managed to get into bowfishing briefly, an instinctive shooting kinda thing, no real aiming. But, I wasn't even all that good at that! Don't care much for gar meat, either.

Haven't tried any hunting BBSs. I do go to a couple of firearms BBSs. I used to really wanna get into bow hunting and I tried and tried to learn to shoot one, but it's just a worthless effort. Never had one of those fancy ones with the pulleys and laser sights, might could do that. But, when you hunt a feeder on 10 acres, tracking an animal is not desirable and I mean if I'm gonna use a laser, might as well use gun powder.

Oh, well, I miss out on a lot of hunting season here by not bow hunting, but such is life. Stupid hot down here and lots of skeeters in September anyway. And, stupid to sit out in those skeeters when I know I can't hit anything.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #3

I've been out of archery for awhile but have thought about getting back in. I bow-hunted deer and bear when I was a kid but university, wife, kids had me go in other directions - plus my current job is at its busiest in the fall. I still go out bowfishing every year (30+ lb carp) and it seems to give me my hunting/fishing fix.

I'm thinking of getting a PSE Triton compound bow...but it's hard to know what's a good bow for me nowadays. Back to the bikes - yeah, I was thinking of scouting around on the Chinese dirtbike...we've got mule deer and white tail all around my town.

As an aside, the man who introduced me to archery when I was four years old was also your brother in Christ. May he rest in peace.

R.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #4

I have a Hoyt-Easton bow in the closet. Strangely enough I shoot left eventhough I'm right-handed.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #5

Could be eye-dominance...or just mishap of nature...I shoot left in hockey - golf, shoot bow, and bat righty.

I was told to make an "O" with your fingers/hand then hold it in front of you and encircle an object on the other side of the room, then close one eye - if you can still see the object then your open eye is the dominant one. I called BS on that until my son did it and he is left-eye dominant for archery even tho he's right-handed. :?

Cheers,
R.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:52 PM   #6

Bowhunting is one of the most exciting things I get to do in life. And as the season is approaching, only 2 and a half months, I am getting the itch already.

As far as eye dominance, you can actually train yourself to alter your eye dominance. I have since I started shooting bow Righty. I can do the eye dominance test and depending on which hand I use, my dominance will change. But that is about 12-13 yrs. of shooting a bow right handed to get to that point.