Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #1

Registration In Virginia Hawk 250cc

Hello, I am new here and trying to do some research on the hawk 250cc motorcycle.

My question is can i register the hawk 250cc motorcycle in Virginia? If so what is a recommended seller to purchase the motorcycle from?

I have seen on several sites that the hawk 250cc does not have fmvss, NHTSA label

My concern is this statement pulled off the Virginia DMV Website

Quote:
An imported vehicle is any vehicle (including motorcycles) brought into the United States from any foreign country (including Canadian vehicles and US manufactured vehicles that are manufactured for export and subsequently imported). These vehicles may or may not meet the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and the policies and regulations adopted as a result of this Act.

Motor vehicles manufactured less than 25 or more model years ago are subject to the federal motor vehicle safety requirements and cannot be titled or registered in Virginia without proof of conformity with the federal motor vehicle safety requirements.

DMV will only issue a certificate of title or a vehicle registration for an imported vehicle when the applicant submits proof that the vehicle complies with federal motor vehicle safety requirements. If the vehicle is exempt from the federal motor vehicle safety requirement, the vehicle may be registered only for a specified period.

I am looking to use the vehicle for primarily road use so id like to know 110% sure I can register before buying..I will be visiting the Lynchburg, VA DMV location.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:30 AM   #2

Jerryhawk250 was kind enough to start this thread and keep on adding states as long as Hawks were getting registered there. Virginia is on the list (he edits the first page to add states). Read through all the postings to see if there are any relevant Virginia registration postings, but once someone has registered theirs in a state, the Guinea pig, then it gets in the system and makes subsequent attempts smoother for the next guy.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17919

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-29-2018, 01:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Jerryhawk250 was kind enough to start this thread and keep on adding states as long as Hawks were getting registered there. Virginia is on the list (he edits the first page to add states). Read through all the postings to see if there are any relevant Virginia registration postings, but once someone has registered theirs in a state, the Guinea pig, then it gets in the system and makes subsequent attempts smoother for the next guy.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17919

Virginia is on the list ive seen. I'm curious as to what paperwork is required to make everything road legal.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

I titled and registered my Hawk 250 in Richmond, VA (North Henrico DMV office) about 3 weeks ago. I needed my MCO, bill of sale (printed copy of my receipt from Q9 Powersports) and proof of insurance (temporary insurance card from State Farm). Everything went without a hitch.

The state inspection went well, also - they just checked that all of the lights worked, the horn honked and looked at the brake lining. I didn't even have to start the bike.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaRider View Post
I titled and registered my Hawk 250 in Richmond, VA (North Henrico DMV office) about 3 weeks ago. I needed my MCO, bill of sale (printed copy of my receipt from Q9 Powersports) and proof of insurance (temporary insurance card from State Farm). Everything went without a hitch.

The state inspection went well, also - they just checked that all of the lights worked, the horn honked and looked at the brake lining. I didn't even have to start the bike.
North Henrico - like on Brook Rd? I just registered my Hawk there yesterday. Went without a hitch for me too.