Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Moving to Phoenix

Well Team, it's been a hell of a ride, but it's time to move on. Mrs. Emerikol has managed to land a job in Phoenix, and it looks pretty good for me to move out that way with my company, as well. Making a long story short, we're going to wait until Nugget is born here in Georgia, and we're going to try to be in our new jobs in Arizona for the 1st of January. So doing the perpetual planning that we do, we're getting all of our T's dotted and I's crossed before we touch down in Arizona. The question I have is about taking the Hawk out there from here. The Hawk is titled and tagged in GA, so what has to go into getting the tag for the bike out there? Cheesy, any idea on taking the Ural out there? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks, guys!

-Emerikol

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Hey, Emerikol.

I moved from CO to the PHX area almost 8 years ago.

Was easy getting my Suzuki Bandit taken care of. I just went to the DMV on 54th and Chandler Blvd (don't worry...you'll find it) with my registration and insurance card, filled out the paperwork and 30 minutes later I had all I needed, including the new plate, to get legal in AZ.

Fast and painless.

Nuff said and I can dig it.

olds_cool63

Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

If you click on 'Out of state...' it should answer your questions, and I do believe you will have to have them inspected, and smogged in Phoenix or Tucson. Not sure of the outlying areas around Phoenix which are technically their own cities but are generally thought of as 'Phoenix'.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicleservices/Title/overview

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

OK, read the details and it seems like you don't have to have them inspected in person unless the title and/or registration is missing.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #5

Thanks, Guys. I didn't think that motorcycles of any stripe needed to pass emissions. Bikes don't usually have any of the control devices that are on cars. I know when I lived in Vegas a few years back (ok, so more like 12 years instead of 'a few') there was no requirement in either NV or AZ to get testing done. All the bikes have Georgia Tags and registrations presently (Except the Rebel, but there's a story on that and it's going to keep the Alaska tags).

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #6

just spent the past 45 minutes browsing the website you sent over for AZ. The missus and I are going to be living outside the Phoenix and Tuscon areas anyways, so emissions is a non-issue for us. Looks like I'll have all the stuff to get the bikes tagged and titled out that way with no issues. When we finally pull the trigger and make the move, I'll post about the experience getting the Hawk out that way. Luckily, it looks like both of our companies are going to provide relocation assistance, so we should be able to have everything shipped and not have to make a bunch of trips across the country lugging our stuff. Thanks for all the helpful info and quick responses. I'm giving some thought to selling the Hawk before we move, if anyone is interested...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #7

Well, looks like big changes happening for you, even with the addition of the Nugget. I'd say most everyone has most of your questions covered. As far as the Ural goes, make sure the trailer is at least 6' wide. If it's enclosed, make sure the door is wide enough before dropping the deposit.

All I have at the moment. Best of luck to you.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-23-2017, 02:24 AM   #8

Onward and upward.

Better riding opertunities off road out west

With the ural...Technically your still china rider since Russia is in Asia also. And also because cheesy said so.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #9

Cheesy, who said anything about a trailer? I'm going to have a couple of weeks off of work, and I'm seriously giving thought to doing a cross-country adventure out that way. I can have the moving company take all the other bikes, but how cool would it be to cruise the country with the sidecar? I brought the Ural home on a 4' trailer with some plywood slabs to make it 52" wide. That was all the space I had between the wheels on the trailer. There wasn't much room to spare, but it worked fabulously. You said it, though. This year has been full of changes of us. We're really excited for everything though, and BlackBike is right: the riding is much more choice out that way.

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Cheesy, who said anything about a trailer? I'm going to have a couple of weeks off of work, and I'm seriously giving thought to doing a cross-country adventure out that way. I can have the moving company take all the other bikes, but how cool would it be to cruise the country with the sidecar? I brought the Ural home on a 4' trailer with some plywood slabs to make it 52" wide. That was all the space I had between the wheels on the trailer. There wasn't much room to spare, but it worked fabulously. You said it, though. This year has been full of changes of us. We're really excited for everything though, and BlackBike is right: the riding is much more choice out that way.
Just an assumption on my part. It sounds like a great trip.

Once that little pooping machine arrives, you will see changes you never dreamed of. Cat naps will be your best friend.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts