Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #61

Quote:
that is great,I think the 17 will be plenty to get the rpms and cruising speed where you want it.It is also alot cheaper than changing the rear.Hope you have enough room to clear the case.
I was more concerned with having to add a couple links and another masterlink. But you have a good point. I bought the sprockets from 2 different sellers, and it looks like the 18 tooth will arrive first (hoping this Saturday). I'm sure the 17 will fit, but the 18 is going to be pushing the limit of the case I think.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtr99
Quote:
that is great,I think the 17 will be plenty to get the rpms and cruising speed where you want it.It is also alot cheaper than changing the rear.Hope you have enough room to clear the case.
I was more concerned with having to add a couple links and another masterlink. But you have a good point. I bought the sprockets from 2 different sellers, and it looks like the 18 tooth will arrive first (hoping this Saturday). I'm sure the 17 will fit, but the 18 is going to be pushing the limit of the case I think.
Keep us posted, for sure.
It appears that your lower end is a Honda clone like a bunch of ours (163FML) When I went from the 15 to the 17......man....it was tight but fit perfectly.
One more tooth....I don't know. 8O

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #63

Quote:
It appears that your lower end is a Honda clone like a bunch of ours (163FML) When I went from the 15 to the 17......man....it was tight but fit perfectly.
One more tooth....I don't know.
Well it was a crappy, rainy weekend again here is St. Louis, but I did manage to get the 17 tooth on there. Just enough chain and adjustment without making any mods to the chain. No way an 18 would go on there without an extra link.. At least until the chain has some wear. Wow what a difference! Gearing is perfect now Pulls the front end nicely in 1st gear, and has long enough legs to run on the highway at 65 mph. I had a get together at my house Saturday, and between rain showers we got a some riding in. One of my friends says he actually prefers this bike to his KLR650 because it feels much lighter, but still has plenty of zip. Haven't done any real off-road testing yet, but there is a vacant lot in the neighborhood, and we did get it muddy. So far it looks like an off-road beast.

More good news to report! The rear shock seems to be softening up nicely... I mean a HUGE improvement! Also, after a few wheelies I was able to get a measurement of front fork travel by checking the oil ring on the fork tubes. A full 6.5 inches of travel and no bottoming! The engine continues to amaze everyone that rides it.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtr99
Quote:
One more tooth....I don't know.
Well it was a crappy, rainy weekend again here is St. Louis, but I did manage to get the 17 tooth on there. Just enough chain and adjustment without making any mods to the chain. No way an 18 would go on there without an extra link.. At least until the chain has some wear. Wow what a difference! Gearing is perfect now Pulls the front end nicely in 1st gear, and has long enough legs to run on the highway at 65 mph. I had a get together at my house Saturday, and between rain showers we got a some riding in. One of my friends says he actually prefers this bike to his KLR650 because it feels much lighter, but still has plenty of zip. Haven't done any real off-road testing yet, but there is a vacant lot in the neighborhood, and we did get it muddy. So far it looks like an off-road beast.

More good news to report! The rear shock seems to be softening up nicely... I mean a HUGE improvement! Also, after a few wheelies I was able to get a measurement of front fork travel by checking the oil ring on the fork tubes. A full 6.5 inches of travel and no bottoming! The engine continues to amaze everyone that rides it.
That GREAT news! Man..... I think I may need one of these. Hopefully the PRK will bless it. :?
Thought you may like that 17 tooth! Made a WHALE of a difference on mine!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #65

17 tooth

I also purchased a Hensim 250 from Tim recently after reading your review. I got it all put together and it rides great. Only thing that I don't like is the fact that I have trouble getting it above 60mph. It said 75+ mph on his specs depending on the weight of the rider.... I weigh 145. So, I'm a little disappointed there. My 200cc Lifanoid that I recently sold got up to 62 mph. Anyway, not a huge deal. I guess my question to you would be; when purchasing a 17 tooth sprocket from ebay, do I need one for a 420 or a 428 chain? I would really like to gain some highway speed. I took it for a ride on some forest service roads here in So. ILL and had a blast. If you could help me out here it would be much appreciated!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #66

I would suggest getting the 428. Typically the 420 is used on the pit bikes.

Also what size sprockets did it come with? Does it have a 15T on the front? 15 to 17 may be all you need to see closer to 70mph.

Allen

Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #67

Thanks man! I wasn't sure. Yeah, it came with a 15 toother and I'm hoping for good things out of the 17 tooth. Much appreciated katoranger

Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #68

I agree with Allen. You should definitely keep the size 428, drive chain, and sprockets.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 AM   #69

anyone with the 17 tooth sprocket able to chime in on the max speed of their bikes now? Curious to see how much of a difference it really makes, also are the carbs tuned? any other peformance possibilities?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #70

After putting on the 17 tooth front sprocket I noticed a big difference in top speed and first gear becomes a little more useful too No chain mods were need for it either. I am however now looking to swap out the 56 tooth rear sprocket for something smaller to even further gain highway speed. After the 15 to 17 swap I now can get up to 66mph or so but that is with the engine screaming. I'd like to be able to do that speed at a lower rpm. I'm thinking of going down to a 45 tooth rear sprocket just because they are readily available on ebay. I'd like it if I could find a 50 tooth that would fit the 4-holes spaced 2.5 inches set up that the Hensim has in the rear. I'm just afraid the 45 tooth might make any off roading quite difficult. I'd like to find a happy medium.
As for other mods. The only other things I did to the engine was put on an inline fuel filter and I replaced the air box with a uni-filter. I am quite pleased with the way both of those turned out. The stock carb seems pretty good. Cheers!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #71

You will need to verify the mounting holes, but this link should be useful.

The sprocket from a honda xl185 fit my bike. Showing a 49 and 50T available.

http://www.bikebandit.com/1980-honda...4?mg=41391&t=1

Old 09-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #72

The 45-46T would be good for road and you could swap the 15t back on if you plan to ride off-road. That will gear you back down.