Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
View Poll Results: Which Zong tank plastic do you prefer?
Factory Tank Plastic 26 47.27%
3-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
2-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
No-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 5 9.09%
Clarke 4.1 Gallon Fuel Tank 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-2 Tank Plastic Mod

I have always believed that Zongshen went a bit overboard with the tank plastic on the Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle. Also, I have always disliked the two heavy, metal pieces that attach to the motorcycle’s frame and support the tank plastic in front, simulating a radiator shroud.

I am always looking for ways to lighten, and improve, the Zong. When one of the plastic brackets that support the front of the tank shroud broke off, I decided to trim away the excess tank plastic. This modification has also allowed me to get rid of the heavy, unnecessary metal brackets that supported the front of the tank shroud.

Here is a photograph of the original tank plastic

Here is a photo of my new, trimmed tank plastic.

I am still considering trimming a bit more from the tank plastic. Namely, I could eliminate the bottom plastic fin, as shown below.

Cal25 has made a fine suggestion to eliminate all the fins.

Therefore, I have created a poll. Which do you prefer. The original tank plastic, my current configuration with three “fins,” the projected configuration with two “fins,” or "no-fins?"

While you ponder your decision, here are a few more photographs of my current configuration, taken from several different angles.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-21-2009, 02:56 AM   #2

your tanks pics arent showing up here at work but that could just be the filter. i myself have considered removing the plastic around the tank entirely but i do like the size it seems to simulate .

i have thought of adding a bigger tank with the emphasis on height but i dont know what to use. hopefully i will be able to see your pics on my computer at home.
shawn

Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #3

Got to say the trimmed panels look naff, nice view by the way

Jonathan.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by czowner
Got to say the trimmed panels look naff, nice view by the way

Jonathan.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Naff

I'm glad you enjoy the view.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #5

Spud, is there an aftermarket tank available that doesn't use the side plastic? I'm thinking about one of those extended-range units. Maybe one of those in black would meet your needs, unless you can find the same orange.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #6

I am not a fan of the fake shrouds on these bikes either. Cutting the excess off would make the bike slimmer in the tank area thus reducing wind drag I would imagine. If there was a clean way to cut back all the way back to create a smooth line from the upper front of the tank cover to the lower rear, that would be the best for me. However I think the ugliness of the plain black tank under the cover would show thru.

What are you using to cut it with? Something like a hot knife might work well.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Spud, is there an aftermarket tank available that doesn't use the side plastic? I'm thinking about one of those extended-range units. Maybe one of those in black would meet your needs, unless you can find the same orange.
It's interesting you should mention the aftermarket tank, WG. Indeed, I am currently considering that option.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I am not a fan of the fake shrouds on these bikes either. Cutting the excess off would make the bike slimmer in the tank area thus reducing wind drag I would imagine. If there was a clean way to cut back all the way back to create a smooth line from the upper front of the tank cover to the lower rear, that would be the best for me. However I think the ugliness of the plain black tank under the cover.

What are you using to cut it with? Something like a hot knife might work well.
I would have left things as they were, but one of the brackets on the tank plastic broke off. Also, I was glad to lose the extra weight from the metal pieces that attached the tank shroud to the bike's frame.

In answer to your question, Cal, it is not an easy task to cut the Zong plastic. The Zong plastic is thicker, more brittle, much harder to cut, and definitely inferior to the plastic found on Japanese motorcycles. :( The brittle plastic allowed vibration alone to break off the shroud's connector after 14,000 miles.

Incidentally, I consider the wide, soft seat on my Zong to be one of this motorcycle's nicest features. I frequently ride my Zong for 300 miles a day, and the wide seat makes these excursions bearable. I would remove the tank plastic entirely, but this would leave a space between the Zong's seat and the fuel tank. Also, the wide seat extends too far past the sides of the fuel tank without the plastic tank shroud in place. :(

You offer an excellent alternative when you suggest trimming the plastic all the way back from the front of the fuel tank to the lower rear. However, I can't think of a good tool that would accomplish that task. :( I used a hack saw and Dremel tool to remove the plastic on the front of my tank shroud; it was not an easy task. :( I don't think a hot knife would work well cutting this plastic. Perhaps the best tool to use would be a coping saw. :?:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #9

I think it might look, and weigh, best with no shrouds at all. Like to see a pic that way. It certainly looks lighter.

Spud, how do people who don't live out West survive?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
You offer an excellent alternative when you suggest trimming the plastic all the way back from the front of the fuel tank to the lower rear. However, I can't think of a good tool that would accomplish that task. :( I used a hack saw and Dremel tool to remove the plastic on the front of my tank shroud; it was not an easy task. :( I don't think a hot knife would work well cutting this plastic. Perhaps the best tool to use would be a coping saw. :?:

Spud
A coping saw isn't a bad idea. You could also try a drill saw, although you need to move relatively quickly, or the plastic just turns to goo. Drill saws (as the name implies) are really just serrated drill bits that allow lateral cuts rather than just vertical drilling. You'll likely find them at your local Harbor Freight.

You could also try judicious use of a flap disc on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Sneak up on it, and you could sand away all the offending material. Stop short of your final cut and hand sand the last bit. That's all I can come up with.

A mask is advisable, since there have been several reports of lead in plastic that comes from China.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #11

Coping saw would be the best bet I suppose. I added a line for a proposed cutting line to your pic. The line could also be leaned farther forward or curved forward.

Also, your kickstand is going to get even heavier if you make the switch to a 21 inch front wheel.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I think it might look, and weigh, best with no shrouds at all. Like to see a pic that way. It certainly looks lighter…
The tank plastic merges with the side plastic, while also filling a space between the seat and fuel tank. In addition, the tank plastic provides a wider base for the Zong's comfortable saddle.

Here is an image of the metal brackets formerly used to attach the front of the tank shroud to the motorcycle’s frame.

Finally, here is a photo showing how the tank plastic merges with the side plastic, while also providing a wider base for the Zong’s saddle.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #13

OK, you do need some plastic, for looks and function. I'd stick with the cuts you've already made.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Coping saw would be the best bet I suppose. I added a line for a proposed cutting line to your pic. The line could also be leaned farther forward or curved forward…
Thank you for your suggestion, Cal. Here is a proposed trim I could make rather easily.

In effect, this trim eliminates all three "fins," creating a "no-fin" option. I will add your idea as another choice in the poll.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #15

8O what you doin spud ? From what has been shown, I like the original still the best.