Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

what is this GY200?

Local bike for sale $300. says GY200 on it , all other decals gone . Owner says it doesn't run, needs a new motor because when he runs it , it makes banging sound. 373 miles on it. I'm tempted to get it for a project. Are motors available for these? Anyone know make or model or year mfg? thanks rj

Old 01-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #2

Yamoto GY200. They were kinda popular in 2005. Not exactly sure of the year though.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

Looks just like my 2008 Jialing with the plastics on it. I just compared the pics and the plastics appear identical. Check the engine number. There will be letters before the 163fml. That may help identify it.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

motor number is JL163FML 060G0013
I went ahead and bought it for a project to do with my son. May be a 2005 he thought. Had tool kit but no manual or decals telling who made it. Anyone know of online owner's or parts manuals , thanks, rob

Old 01-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #5

Same as mine. JL is for Jialing. Mine was sold under the name HiSun.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #6

Did you find out what the "sound is"? Maybe they adjusted the valves wrong making the loud tap/bang noise?

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #7

No haven't tried starting it yet. Removed battery to charge and gave bike a wash. Hasn't been started for 1 1/2 years so I thought I'd have son drain oil to see if there is any metal in oil and strainer. Then take carb off and clean it and air cleaner. Put fresh oil in and try and run it to see what's going on with it. Since it's supposed to be a learning experience for him it may take awhile till its running. Hopefully within a week.
I'm hoping that the reputation of these motors about being bullet proof will hold up and it's something simple. The motor oil looked black and not up on the stick very far. I'm thinking original owners (I'm 3rd owner) may of put it together and not check oil level? The foot pegs are put on backwards so they fold frontwards. So may not of been setup from the beginning very well, rj

Old 01-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

My roketa with the same engine ive been told not to trust the dipstick....use the sight glass
1972 Honda xl250
2x early 90's Honda rf600 parts bikes
more mc junk laying around.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #9

thanks Angus67, How much oil does owners manual say to put in?
is there a owners manual online to look at?
Spark plug threads are kinda buggered up from cross threading. applied grease and eased it in and out to straighten threads back up.
PVC thingy hose by horn is crispy critters. Is that a necessary thing to keeped hooked up or can I plug where hose goes in motor and remove it?
Operator Footpegs are put on backwards so they fold to the front.
Air cleaner boot from air cleaner to carb not even hooked up. Looks like boot is to short to reach carb?
Air cleaner seem is split at glue joint. What works for gluing back together?
Sorry for the pesky questions.
The bike truly looks like it has 375 miles on it so my fingers are still crossed that it will be like the Pheonix. rj

Old 01-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #10

Just add oil slowly until the oil level is at the upper line. Bike level of course. . My air box tube didnt reach the carb either. Get a foam clamp on filter
1972 Honda xl250
2x early 90's Honda rf600 parts bikes
more mc junk laying around.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #11

Done today:
Took airbox loose and pushed it onto carb, tightened the clamp and then was able to get 1 mounting screw at bottom of airbox . Good enough for now.
Gas tank seems to have a small leak up above the petcock where the extension plastic piece is connected to the tank body. Ran a bead of gasket sealer RTV around where it connects to body of tank and is ultrasonically welded ??? . We'll see if that stops leak.
Took apart petcock and cleaned it and lube up the rubber parts to get it to turn easier.
Fresh oil in motor up to almost top peek-a-boo line, Fresh non ethanol gas in tank.
Tried starting it and it tried running a few times. I defiantly heard the noise he was talking about. Like a loud rocker tapping the valve only louder. The battery only lasted a few minutes then I tried kick starting it. It was hard to kick over for a 200. Kinda like there is binding ????
Is this a push rod motor or OHC?
Does it have a decompression thingy on the cam to ease starting?
How hard is it to inspect the valve train? Pop off the valve cover and look for what?
Thanks for all your guys help. Thankfully I'm not in a big hurry to get it going with the weather still cold and enjoyed working on it with my son this afternoon.
What would you guys look at next as far as trouble shooting?
I wish I could find an online parts manual or owners manual so at least I could see inside motor parts and understand the bike better.
thanks, rj

Old 01-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #12

It should be an OHV engine. It doesn't have a compression realease but It also only has around 9:1 compression, so it should not need a compression release.

Going off of the information given in your last post, I would suspect that one of the lash adjusters is either backed way off, or broken/missing, OR it has a bent push rod or rocker arm. I think a littlle exploration is in order. I would start by simply removing the valve cover.

The good news is, most of these parts are cheap and easy to get.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #13

Hope to get the valve cover off tomorrow and have a look see. What is behind the large slotted screw cap on LH side of cylinder? thanks rj

Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #14

Check out my antics with a similar bike: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12200

Mine is a Roketa, but it was also known as a Shineray. It's an OHC engine and the number stamping lied on mine; it's 200cc, and not actually 163FMI (which would be a 125 with a 63mm bore). It's quite similar to an XR200 motor, just on a slightly larger scale. It's referred to as a CB200 in China.

The reason the gas tank leaks is due to the really long petcock. I removed the tank shrouds (they were broken anyway) and switched to a much shorter petcock.

This is my filter of choice: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-42mm-...9X0l39&vxp=mtr

I'm betting the cam chain tensioner is the source of the noise.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #15

The thing on the side of the cylinder that looks like a large screw is the pivot pin for the cam followers. Leave it in place when removing the cylinder.