Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > News, Support, & Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

2004 Panterra 125 Dual Sport

Hello everybody! I'm new to the forum and relatively new to motorcycles. I've been looking for a small and cheap dual sport for a while now, and I finally found one the other day. I picked up a 2004 Panterra 125 for $400, and it runs well. I have a couple small issues that I was hoping somebody could help me with:

1. The tachometer is basically useless, the needle bounces all over the place or it does nothing at all. Any idea what the problem could be?

2. The previous owner removed the blinkers, so I bought a new set of LED blinkers. I also purchased a new flasher relay, as the bike seemed to be missing one. I hooked up the relay and the rear blinkers to find that both signals blink simultaneously and are equally bright, regardless of what position the switch on the handlebar is in. What could this be?

3. As you can see in the pictures, the bike is missing some of the plastics, it's also missing the shroud that covers the headlight. Does anybody know where I can find replacement plastics? They don't need to be OEM, just something that would bolt on.

4. Finally, I would like to make this bike street legal, if possible. I don't have the title or registration, just a bill of sale. I was thinking about trying to use the Vermont loophole that I've read about. Has anybody had success with this bike, or a similar bike, having only a bill of sale?

Thank you for whatever information you can provide!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 5.31.50 PM.jpg (20.1 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 5.31.06 PM.jpg (20.1 KB, 406 views)

Old 08-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

1. These thingy had 2 types: Mechanical (cable broke/ gear torn... ) & electronic... It's too hassle to trace ??? when http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18264 http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19680 is readily available (odometer counted in miles finally ie. No more conversion needed )
2. http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....45&postcount=2 Single bulb. Reason #2 change to a new unit

Last edited by humanbeing; 08-08-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #3

Welcome!
I'd lose the tach; just use your heart.
As HB says, it's the single indicator bulb that flashes along with your signals. If you simply remove it, the problem should go away. If you want to correct it, you'll need to build a diode bridge. If you need help with that, let us know.
Try to find some images of what your bike looked like with plastic, so we can figure out what fits.
Here's a Vermont link: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12368

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys! I removed the indicator bulb and that fixed the blinker issues!

I’m going to look into submitting the paperwork to Vermont this weekend.

Here is a picture of the brand new bike, with all of the plastics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FA18F467-4A74-4311-8922-717BBD4C4DB2.jpg (20.5 KB, 441 views)

Old 08-09-2018, 04:14 AM   #5

It don't look as that era's typical GY200
The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number (#12-#17 is unique to each vehicle. NEVER tells it in public ) at least can find some cousin bike made by SAME maker

Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

Agreed. I don't recall seeing plastics quite like that. Is the tank plastic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

The tank is metal, but I’d be willing to buy a different tank if it meant I could mount plastics

Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #8

The good news is that your bike (and most of the GY200 clones) has a frame that is based on the early XR200 (not the R version). The XR200 had twin shocks, but GY200 bikes use a monoshock (and usually a link); often the twin shock studs are still in place and support the rear rack.
Your bike could be made to fit the tank and plastics of any of the GY200 bikes, so it just depends on what you can find. Try searching www.taobao.com with Google Chrome and allow your browser to automatically translate. Start with GY200 as a search term.