Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #1

Air filter replacement

I just received a new air filter courtesy of E-Bay. Its the same model used by ImEazy as seen here

I'll be installing and documenting it this weekend. Including before/after pics and spark plug analysis.

Even if no performance benefit is derived at least I won't have to take off that flimsy airbox cover anymore. Each time I open it I figure this will be the time I crossthread the screw holes.

Metal screws into a plastic housing, yeah that's gonna last.....

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 06-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #2

How often should an air filter be checked or changed?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
Quote:
How often should an air filter be checked or changed?
depends on what type of filter you have and type of riding you do. if you ride a lot of trails and dirt roads and have a sponge type, clean it with dish soap and water at every other oil change and squeeze in a few drops of oil after it dries. You'll probably have to replace it at some point within 2000 miles due to the material getting weak or breaking down. I ride mostly on the street and cleaned mine at 1500 miles, wasn't that bad. The aftermarket types I'm not so sure about, I do know that they appear to get dirtier due to not being enclosed in a factory breather box, I would pay more attention to this type of filter.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 06-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #4

An intersting development....

I replaced the air filter with the aftermarket. But before I took me inaugural ride I checked the plug. Colour was perfect. That nice deep tan/leather colour we all crave. Crap. This means the air/fuel mix was perfect and I probably just messed it up. Went to start the bike an sure enough it would only start/idle on full choke.

I guess I'll have to put the old filter back for now. I will probably experiment with upping the main jet a notch or two once I find out what Japanese carb is compatible. I wonder if re-setting the c-clip on the needle jet would help?

Imeazy,

You used the same air filter, did you encounter any problems?

Old 06-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #5

frostbite - I never ran my bike with the stock airbox on it, so I don't
know how it would've ran. I started with the pod filter and the muffler
unrestricted. I did have to adjust everything quite a bit before getting
it to idle properly. it now runs just fine. I went for a little ride this
evening. Ran fine. Checked the plug, looks fine. I think I'm about as
close as I can get without rejetting. I have thought about going one
to two sizes up on the main jet. I need to find a place to buy the jets.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #6

I dropped the c-clip on the needle jet to its lowest position (ie. more fuel). The bike started and idled fine with the new filter. Actually it started with much less choke than before the new filter.

It sounded 'different', probably because the stock airbox/filter muffled some engine noise, plus I was test driving with the side panels off. Plug colour was very good, a touch lighter than before but not much.

I'm gonna drive it a few days like this and see how it works and what, if any, the impact is on fuel economy.

I seem to recall someone in this forum has an ATC 200X. They used the same engine as the XR 200 for which the 163FML is a drop in replacement.
I believe the 200X used a Keihin carburetor. It would be an interesting exercise to compare the main jet from the 200X to the main from the 163FML engine. If they are indeed interchangeable we would have a source of main jets for these bikes.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
I replaced the carb on my 200x over 20 years ago with a 28mm mikuni flatslide type, the stock carb was 26mm keihin with a 108 main jet. Partsfish.com listed 2 main jets, a 110 and 108. Does anyone know the jet size on the china bikes? It should be stamped on the jets head. wish I still had the old carb to compare. It wouldn't hurt anything to take the jet out and bring it to a honda dealer or mechanic just to compare, I'm sure they've got some laying around. It would be nice to know if the gaskets will interchange also, you can only take the bowl off so many times before the gasket goes to sh--.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 06-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
I seem to recall someone in this forum has an ATC 200X. They used the same engine as the XR 200 for which the 163FML is a drop in replacement. I believe the 200X used a Keihin carburetor. It would be an interesting exercise to compare the main jet from the 200X to the main from the 163FML engine. If they are indeed interchangeable we would have a source of main jets for these bikes.
I'm still looking for a local shop that will let me match up the jets I have with new ones. I want to put the 30mm carb I got off ebay on it but I have to fabricate a plate for the intake to make it seal properly. The 28mm carb that is on the bike has a 98 main jet in it. I think if I was to goto a 99 or 100 main jet it would make everything better. I put together a quick tutorial on rejetting a GY carb if you care to check it out.

http://www.eazys.net/GY200/Carb/carbjets.html

Old 06-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #9

Great tutorial, thanks. I am not planning to rejet mine, but just to know where all the stuff is really helps.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Thanks! I have wanted to see where the jets were and what was involved. I don't think I will tackle it right now but down the road it might be on the project list.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #11

The performance was awful in the low end so I replaced the old air filter assembly (BTW really, really poor quality construction...) but left the c-clip changes. Performance is back and it starts with much less choke than before.

I still want to try a main jet upgrade. Maybe this long weekend ( Canada Day here).

Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
The performance was awful in the low end so I replaced the old air filter assembly (BTW really, really poor quality construction...) but left the c-clip changes. Performance is back and it starts with much less choke than before.
Which air filter are you using? The oem box or the cone replacement filter?

Old 08-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #13

I have an OE Honda XR200 carb and the OE Lifan carb out in the shop. I have compared them by outside appearance, I would say they are 99% equal.

I can drop the bowls and check the jets, if anyone is still interested.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #14

Quote:
I can drop the bowls and check the jets, if anyone is still interested.
For the love of God man, YES!!

If I knew which jets were compatible I could up the main a notch and put my aftermarket filter back on. Also, since the carb appears compatible with an XR200 (year?) perhaps I can get a K&N.

Quote:
Which air filter are you using? The oem box or the cone replacement filter?
Cone.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to eddyfx Send a message via Yahoo to eddyfx
what size filter is that, how big an opening?