Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #1

reliable

been riding various bikes through out the years but never a chineses bike,,,, Most of the jap bikes are rock solid, but expensive,,, 4k for a yahama trail way,,, rediculous!,,, but a 200cc enduro for about a thousand seems too good to be true,,, can i draw on your experience any info on how reliable chinese bikes are? any horror stories, or major problems with the engine, carbs or supsension.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #2

Mine has been well worth the money. I too was reluctant to spend over $4000. for a Japanese bike and decided to give the Lifan a try. I got it this past August and have loved riding it. In a little over 400 miles of widely mixed riding before putting it away for the winter, the only problem I had was a speedometer that started to go bad. I have heard of very few problems with the motors, transmissions, carbs or suspensions of these bikes. My biggest complaint is the electrical system, which is noticibly weaker than what you would find on a Japanese bike. Looking through the posts on this board will give you much of the information you are looking for regarding Chinese bikes. Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Old 12-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #3

I think Gy hit the high spots. Proper carb tuning and plenty of a pretty shade of blue Locktite will prevent most if not all of the most common annoyances/issues.
Joe

Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
I will put my 2 cents in here.
For a $1000 - $1500 you will get a really fun 200cc dual sport bike.
It is based on late 80's technology for the most part and the engines are really solid.
The electrics aren't as good as they could be but I really can't complain about any of it other than the headlight bulb.
The gearing is pretty low on some of the brands and a sprocket change helps the top end and eases some of the vibrations.
I paid $1400 for a 2006 Lifan LF200-GY5. (A little high but I was eager).
It was worth the money.

One thing though, you do need to be a little mechanical unless you have a dealer near by. If you are mechanical, there is a great community right here to help you out!

The flip side.
This time of year, if you are in the snow belt, you might be able to find a deal on a different/larger bike.
I just found a 2002 Suzuki DR650 with only 3200 miles for $1000 more than the Lifan. It is is in great shape. (Of course I was the first person to see it and I snatched it up before it hit the paper.) I needed something with a little more power to commute on the interstate.
(I haven't had it off road yet. The extra weight might be a little taxing )

I have owned and rode various bikes over the past 35 years. The China bikes are good value for the money you pay.