Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #16

I have got to agree that the KPX is the best 20hp option in a tall, near enduro scaled bike with EFI. On the other hand, it is more than I would be willing to pay for a 20hp dual sport. But I am spoiled with the Templar

So frankly, if keeping the budget at ~ $2000 is important, I would buy a Templar X and jet it lean for your base elevation. Running kind of rich at higher elevations wouldn't hurt it. And... a removable baffle could improve higher elevation performance... plug it up for lower elevations if it pops too much. Wait, do I have that backwards? Anyway...Jet accordingly to bridge the best compromise.

Also, whether or not it is "technically" street legal is a red herring. We have people here on this website that have insured, AND plated the Templars all over the USA. I have two. Geico insured the first for an additional $35 on my annual premium for a second bike. Sailed right through at the State license office and sales tax was 7.5% of $1850 plus $50 for a two year registration. The question is, do we have any forum members that have done it in Colorado?

Old 12-20-2022, 05:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Also, whether or not it is "technically" street legal is a red herring. We have people here on this website that have insured, AND plated the Templars all over the USA. I have two. Geico insured the first for an additional $35 on my annual premium for a second bike. Sailed right through at the State license office and sales tax was 7.5% of $1850 plus $50 for a two year registration. The question is, do we have any forum members that have done it in Colorado?
This is very true but some states will not like in this recent post. https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31993
As long as you know it can be an issue and are willing to take the risk then it would be a win win situation. I took that risk with my Hawk over 6 years ago and was one of the lucky ones and got it tagged. I knew that going in that it might not be able to register but I was getting if for off road anyway so didn't matter. Getting it plated was a bonus.

If you decide to buy the Templar just check with the DMV first to save you the headaches. Me personally i think the Templar is a great deal.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-20-2022, 06:00 PM   #18

I was not able to find a successful registration in Colorado based on a non-exhaustive search. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but the Colorado laws require a DOT certificate which I'm guessing the Templar doesn't come with. Even if there had been success in another county it doesn't mean it would work here. Hell, at our County Clerk's office it can depend on which agent is sitting in front of you as to how many hoops you have to jump! Considering what you get for the price it was a strong candidate if I knew I could get it registered. I just don't want to spend over $2,000 on something that may be dirt only.

Considering my situation, it's seeming more and more like I'm better off just waiting and getting the KPX. I already own one Lifan and I've been happy with it, so another in the garage sounds good. Thanks for all the info everyone. It's completely changed the direction I was planning to go, which is awesome!

Old 12-20-2022, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
This is very true but some states will not like in this recent post. https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31993
As long as you know it can be an issue and are willing to take the risk then it would be a win win situation. I took that risk with my Hawk over 6 years ago and was one of the lucky ones and got it tagged. I knew that going in that it might not be able to register but I was getting if for off road anyway so didn't matter. Getting it plated was a bonus.

If you decide to buy the Templar just check with the DMV first to save you the headaches. Me personally i think the Templar is a great deal.
YES. So I guess it is back to the real question of whether or not anyone has insured, titled/registered a Templar in Colorado, and maybe some details if there are different ways to register (State office, contractor license office).

And there may be a stealth path... Buy one for someone, they register it in another state, then "sell" it to you a month later when they get the title. Then the barrier may only be an ID/OD check at an inspection station, which are all over the place (same place we do safety inspections in MO).

Old 12-20-2022, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I forgot...
Shhhhhh...
Your secret is safe with me.
No one is going to know. No one reads these posts, anyway. They skip over the new stuff to get back to their own posts, to feel better about themselves. Confirmation bias is a powerful drug.

Llamas llamas llamas.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
And there may be a stealth path... Buy one for someone, they register it in another state, then "sell" it to you a month later when they get the title. Then the barrier may only be an ID/OD check at an inspection station, which are all over the place (same place we do safety inspections in MO).
Valid question, and it may work however I see a few potential issues.

First, any out of state registered vehicle has to have a vin inspection. If the vin is registered as an off-road bike, which it sounds like the Templar might be, the prior out of state registration is of no consequence to Colorado. In my experience it's been a case by case based on vin if they will register it, even with a prior out of state title. May work. May not.

Second, Colorado charges taxes based on value, not sale price so I would have to pay tax twice at full pop, registration twice, and title twice which starts to add up when the idea is to save money.

Honestly I really like the Templar X for the price but I just don't know if it's worth the gamble. I can deal with a carb over EFI but I can't deal with no plates.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
Honestly I really like the Templar X…
Gamble! Gamble! Gamble!

Old 12-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #23

Just register it in Vermont and ride it with the Vermont plate .

Old 12-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
I bought the X-pect and quickly sold it to get a KPX. I didn't like the hump in the seat which kept me really forward. Also it's only 14 hp and too light for highway use. Plus odd tire sizes, limited choices.
The Bashan dual sports also have the forward push seating position. The Storm was my first China bike, and I liked the extremely comfortable seat. But after riding the Templar for a while, I got back on the Storm and felt cramped and pushed forward. The bolster limits where you can sit. It is still a comfortable seat, but I agree with you!

Old 12-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #25

OP (Coloradogoose)

Your concern about registering and plating is REAL. The VIN plate does state "offroad". This problem is bypassed upon 1st registration with a new MCO ("motorcycle", not "dirt bike") in many States that do not require any inspection of new motorcycles.

If I sell the bike, an in-state sale will go smoothly, but out of State sale will probably run into ID/OD check problem. You are right.

You may be able to get a Templar on the road in Colorado if you go to the right office, and get lucky. You may not.

Geico insured mine, but I had to give Geico the motorcycle manufacturer name and VIN to enter in their electronic from, because the VIN is not recognized. The manufacturer (Wuyi Zuma, which owns Zuumav brand) is now in Geico database.

Part of the reason why I was successful in registering is because I ALWAYS say the right things, (no red flags, volunteer NOTHING) and come to the license office armed with ALL the docs required...
-the motor vehicle certificate of origin, MCO ("motorcycle")
-buyers contract/bill of sale with sale price and date of sale indicated
-Receipts for past TWO years personal property tax paid
-Proof of financial responsibiltiy (printed insurance "card", with correct VIN on it)
-drivers license with my correct address on it
-A check book (they accept checks in this State)

If you have all your ducks in a row, you stand a chance of getting it done. If you ask questions, or offer any red flag info, ...

Remember, "These are not the droids you are looking for..."

Old 12-21-2022, 01:10 PM   #26

Interestingly, in Colorado I've never had a VIN inspection done on a new bike. It's always been something used from out of state, which they have to do by state law. Registering my KPM200 with an MCO was actually faster and smoother than registering my Himalayan because there was no dealer paperwork. Chances are I'd be better off registering the Templar X new here rather than as a used bike from out of state.

I do the same when I register vehicles and I think it's given me some leniency in the past. They appreciate when someone shows up who is organized and knowledgeable. It makes their job much easier.

It's ALMOST enough to get me to try the Templar X, but I'm not quite there. I don't believe they asked for anything other than the MCO for my KPM, but I'm not sure that the VIN on the Templar wouldn't raise additional questions when entered into their computer. I've heard that you can get an offroad motorcycle approved for road use by your local Sherriff's office, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Might look into that since most of the local SO guys ride as well. They'd probably take one look at it and sign off since it has everything needed. Lot's to think about.
As much as I like the KPX, I'm waffling a bit because of the price. It starts to get out of "toy" territory when it gets much over $2000.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Just register it in Vermont and ride it with the Vermont plate .
I know there are ways to do that, but I don't want to own a bike plated in a state that I don't live. I know it's legal, and I have no issues with it, it's just my personal preference for my own bikes.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
Interestingly, in Colorado I've never had a VIN inspection done on a new bike. It's always been something used from out of state, which they have to do by state law.
'''
'''
This is exactly what I said in the first paragraph. It is how I registered mine here (1st registration, and titled in State). If you look at the VIN plate, it says offroad.

So if you are not moving away from Colorado for the foreseeable future, chances are you can get through the ring of fire.

But as I said above, ALL paperwork and insurance in hand, confidence and a wave of the Jedi master hand , and once it's in the system, you won't need inspection for at least a while. (150k miles in this state).

Last edited by Thumper; 12-24-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:35 PM   #29

If all else fails... https://staythetrail.org/how-to-make...l-in-colorado/

Old 12-24-2022, 03:25 PM   #30

What's missing with the Himalayan

CO,
Your thread still somewhat resonates with me. My links into this forum have been about CB street bikes - but I am thinking 2023 might have me out on the BDR, and the now-two bikes in the garage aren't well suited for that. Do I try and make one of them fit that function (pretty much a bad idea, and not one I really want to do), or so I scrape together some change and try to find something else...
... either as an initial foray into this, the toe into the pool so to speak, or just how much change do I try to scrape.
What's the Himmy not doing, that you need? I'm kind of curious. With the Scram out now, there's basically ever option, officially, available in order to make a Himmy into whatever you'd want it to be.
It just won't ever grow a 6th gear. But the KPX250 won't quickly gain the ability to mount jerry cans.