Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2023, 01:41 PM   #1

Hawk DLX 250 EFI from Texas Motorsports

I am just going to post a summary of my experience so far with this purchase, assembly, and the first rides. So here goes….

Ordered the bike initially on Amazon, but then canceled the order 5 hours later after reading some negative reviews about the seller involving poor communication and buyer frustration.. I went to Texas Motor sports site and ended up getting a small military discount and free shipping. Total to my house was $ 2013. If I remember the amazon order was closer to $2600. rAfter 11 days it arrived. The driver called me at work, my wife was home, he put it right in the garage. The crate had some fairly substantial looking damage, my wife took some pics of it, and I anxiously looked at the clock until I could clock out and get home. The MSO and Bill of Sale arrived the same day, via FEd Ex.

I assembled it in just a few hours, drained and changed the oil (Rotella T4) started it, and rode it a few miles before retiring for the evening. Having never purchased a vehicle online before, I was very happy that it arrived, it was intact, and it started. The next morning I finished putting all the plastics on, greasing the front and rear axles, adjusting the chain, and adding some loctite blue here and there. One of the threaded nuts for the exhaust guard was not threaded, so I ran a tap and threaded it. I also added 12 oz of slime both front and rear tubes, wrapped the wires behind the headlight in some plastic for some weatherproofing, and dropped the air pressure to about 24 psi for trail riding. I then went to DMV and got it instantly registered. Still waiting to hear from my insurance company. So far so good.

I did find that the right side gas tank cowling had a broken mount tab, and I did not find it until mounting the left one. I have filed a claim for a replacement and am awaiting more info. Despite the damage to the crate, the bike came away relatively unscathed. A few dings here and there, but I was truly impressed with its cosmetic survival. I just don't understand why so many are so beat up, it sure does not seem like other large items shipped around the world are treated so poorly.

Today I took it out in the desert across the street from my house. I have been riding these trails for over 15 years, and have ridden all sorts of bikes there. And this, is one of them. It is not a motocross bike, a single track monster, or a desert racer. It is, however, a decent trail rider. And short distance commuter. It did not like the deep sand I took it in, the front end washed out pretty good. I think down the road some new tires may help with that. I hit one small jump, and the front end bottomed out. Maybe some heaver fork oil will help with that, I have yet to even look into that. So far I really like the bike. I like the efi, the gauges, the height and ride position( I am 6’ 2” 200 lbs, 60 years old). It does not vibrate too much, and has a very gentle, smooth power delivery. No great holeshots or rear tire only wheelies. It is not oozing power…..

After reading and watching reviews online, I was concerned about a few things. The weak headlight, rear inner mud flap, location of the ECU for water, air box fit, and tire quality. I was glad to see these issues all seem to have been corrected. I now have 25 miles on it, and later tonight I will ride in the dez again, adjust the headlight, and then change the oil. Updates will surely follow.Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231010_112321.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	30170  

Old 10-19-2023, 09:31 AM   #2

congrats. nice looking bike!

Old 10-19-2023, 03:24 PM   #3

Very nice. Any updates?

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 10-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Very nice. Any updates?
I have ridden about 150 miles. 100 of that off road, in the desert near my home.
Observations:
Gearing is low but usable for a short run commuter and trail bike. I just swapped out rear sprocket this morning . I actually swapped the wheel, it has a new Dunlop 605 and 48 tooth sprocket. We shall see what that gets me....
Suspension is weak. Any bumpy stuff at speed or air and I bottom out. Will put some spacers up front and consider the rear. Maybe just a heavier spring, or a replacement.
The motor seems very strong.
The EFI is awesome
The mirrors don't stay set.
The bars and controls seem fine,and well placed.
Love the digital dash.
Brakes are surprisingly good.
Headlight is pretty good, after some adjustment to the cowling. It works well off road too.
The bike is fun to ride, especially for an older guy or new rider. This is not a bike for speed demons used to an MX bike or guys who want to do some jumping. It needs a mechanic/rider who enjoys wrenching and will give her the attention it needs and things loosen up, bend and wear.

Old 10-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #5

There might be some screws on your mirrors that you can tighten to increase tension and keep them from moving around on you.

Yeah, these China bikes are not built for racing so guess what? Fools will race them.

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Last edited by bigdano711; 10-23-2023 at 09:44 AM. Reason: removing KPX nonsense

Old 10-22-2023, 12:31 AM   #6

Quote:
There might be some screws on your mirrors that you can tighten to increase tension and keep them from moving around on you.
Well now, you are correct! Hadnot noticed them. And they worked well! Mirrors now stay put. Thanks so much bigdano711 !

On a side note, I swapped the front sprocket for a 17, actually I tried several combinations. The bike arrived 16/45. And the chain was 1 link too short. So to add the 17 up front I had to replace the chain. I have decided (at least for this moment) to go with 17/45 combo. In the AM I am going to go for a longer,more demading ride in the Dez so we shall see how she does. Oh, i also adjusted the rear spring a bit tighter.

Old 10-22-2023, 02:35 AM   #7

17/45 will probably work well on your DLX. My carbed Hawk 250 just didn't have enough umph at the top end with 17/47, so I went 16/47 and have found the sweet spot. Also, the front cover goes on easier with the 16 vs the 17.

I'm glad a rider with your experience is enjoying the DLX. I saw an ad for the Kawasaki KLX 300 and almost choked on the $6K price tag.

Last edited by bigdano711; 10-22-2023 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Not sure why I thought your bike was a KPX...got my threads confused...

Old 10-23-2023, 01:07 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm glad a rider with your experience is enjoying the DLX. I saw an ad for the Kawasaki KLX 300 and almost choked on the $6K price tag.
I would love to have The KLX 300. Rode one but never oned one. Perfect bike for single track. But I am older, slower, and cheaper. So Chinese 250 it is. But I tell ya the other half of the equation is the wrenching. I have always loved that part of motorcycling and am blessed enough to have the tools.

Today I did about 25 miles of sandy loose soil, wide dry creek beds, and twisting flat desert singletrack. I really enjoyed the ride. Especially the first and second gear single-track. The Gearing is perfect for that. The bike reminds me a lot of a Suzuki Dr 350. I have owned several of them over the years. Of course, it had more power, and a higher redline, But they handle very similarly to me.
I changed the oil today after 100 miles(150 on odometer). It came out better looking than the black stuff that came out after 50.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomshell View Post
The bike is fun to ride, especially for an older guy or new rider. This is not a bike for speed demons used to an MX bike or guys who want to do some jumping. It needs a mechanic/rider who enjoys wrenching and will give her the attention it needs and things loosen up, bend and wear.
I am a new Rider in my 40's and I agree. My Hawk DLX is my first motorcycle experience outside of goofing on a PW50. I got mine late this summer so I've been mostly street riding and learning, but I can't wait to get out on some trails.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)