Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2022, 12:38 PM   #1

Titan 250 DLX Review - anyone reviewed this yet?

New to forum and am leaning towards the Templar 250X w/6-speed trans. But also interested in the Titan DLX. Wondering if anyone has done a comparison.

thanks

Old 12-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #2

I didn't do a detailed analysis, but sent you a calculator if you want to take bore and stroke of any bike you look at and derive true CCs. It can help when trying to cut through marketing material and see what you are really getting with regards to the motor on various bikes.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 12-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #3

Tex Pete is right, the Titan is a 223cc 14 to 15 hp engine. It is a great bike, but the Templars have a true 249cc 19-20hp engine. Both are Zongshen engines.

Take a serious look at the standard Templar (not the X). The Templar has the less complicated (no counterbalance linkage and just 5 gears like the Titan DLX), but don't let the 6th gear option make you think the the Temp X is necessarily better, for the price!

The standard Templar is $1400 at PSM right now. That is a whopping $500 less than the Temp X !!! That will MORE than pay for shipping! Believe me, that Zongshen ZS172FMM-3A engine (the 5 speed in the standard Templar) is a proven durable and powerful beast. I have that engine and I love it! I have the newer 6-speed engine and it doesn't impress me compared to the old 5 speed. But I ride mostly off road, and never try to compete on interstate highways on ANY dirt bike! What can you do with the spare $500? Well, choose the exact sprockets that work for you (BOTH Templars come with 13T front, 49T rear).

Just take a look at the Standard Templar. Slightly shorter wheelbase (easier wheelies), and it doesn't have the adjustable suspension. Changing fork oil will help with that, and the rear shock does have preload adjustment.

I just don't want you to arbitrarily assume the Temp X is all there is in a true 20hp enduro (and what a fabulous price on the standard Templar!).

Old 12-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #4

209 CC if you run the bore and stroke of the Titan DLX through the displacement calculators. So it is a 209 CC being marketed to buyers as a 223 CC maybe to say its in the same league as those 223 CC motors in bikes being marketed to buyers as 250 CC?

EDIT: Templar X 250 bore and stroke in the same calculator is 249.99 CC

I don't know if orbit is going to exclusively ride off road or ride 50/50 streets/off-road or greater riiding percentage on streets, but if he does want the fully adjustable suspension just know some folks that don't buy the X after buying the non X variant had a bit of buyers remorse not getting the X. It depends if you want to put your own suspension on later or not and if you want to tear down the bike to replace the suspension components and then build it back up again plus the shipping on individual suspension parts can add up compared to getting it all in one bike and one shipping charge up front.

Not knowing what might cause any buyers remorse with orbit I figured arm him up with tools and information to compare then he can use his own planned intended use to weight the parameters of whats more important or not on all the bikes he looks at.
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 12-28-2022, 09:02 AM   #5

Finally back from xmas vacation in Tulsa - 9 hour drive home - ugh. I'd opt for the adjustable suspension model as riding areas will vary. Having a bike that bottoms out isn't what I'd like. Over the years, I had an XR250 and XR600 with suspension work done and they still bottomed on motocross tracks. Not really planning on hardcore track rides anymore but just don't want to go with non-adjustable suspension. So doing some looking online, it appears one can buy a Standard Templar 250, and X model and an M model. The X has adjustable suspension, 6-speed tranny. Question, does it have only electric start? or a misprint in the XProUSA ad... The M is just like the X but with non-adjustable suspension and a 5-speed. All else the same. Then there is the Standard Templar. It's like the M but with wimpier non-adjustable suspension, shorter wheelbase and smaller gas tank. X most expensive, then the M, then the Standard version.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:20 AM   #6

You are reading correctly. The six speed gearbox version of the motor does not fit and does not come with a kick starter. The five speed transmission can fit a kick starter and does come with one.
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 06-09-2023, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Tex Pete is right, the Titan is a 223cc 14 to 15 hp engine. It is a great bike, but the Templars have a true 249cc 19-20hp engine. Both are Zongshen engines.

Take a serious look at the standard Templar (not the X). The Templar has the less complicated (no counterbalance linkage and just 5 gears like the Titan DLX), but don't let the 6th gear option make you think the the Temp X is necessarily better, for the price!

The standard Templar is $1400 at PSM right now. That is a whopping $500 less than the Temp X !!! That will MORE than pay for shipping! Believe me, that Zongshen ZS172FMM-3A engine (the 5 speed in the standard Templar) is a proven durable and powerful beast. I have that engine and I love it! I have the newer 6-speed engine and it doesn't impress me compared to the old 5 speed. But I ride mostly off road, and never try to compete on interstate highways on ANY dirt bike! What can you do with the spare $500? Well, choose the exact sprockets that work for you (BOTH Templars come with 13T front, 49T rear).

Just take a look at the Standard Templar. Slightly shorter wheelbase (easier wheelies), and it doesn't have the adjustable suspension. Changing fork oil will help with that, and the rear shock does have preload adjustment.

I just don't want you to arbitrarily assume the Temp X is all there is in a true 20hp enduro (and what a fabulous price on the standard Templar!).
Can you confirm if the Zongshen ZS172FMM-3A has the bottom bolt holes for the old school foot peg cross mount? I have an older Honda that uses the bar for the foot pegs.

I sent XPRO a message (they are selling engine on EB) and they haven't responded.