Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #16

That's an excellent idea. :idea:

I was working on my quad yesterday; I have some upgrades and service to do to get it ready. I'm looking forward to the riding season.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #17

wanted to work on ours today but my choices are out in the open at where they are stored or in the carport here and with this weather neither appealed to me

Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I choose not to stay in a tent up there. I'm a lot happier with some sheet metal around me.
Is that just a general rule of thumb for you, or specific to the area? I don't camp often, but I do so in a tent :wink:

Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #19

We often camp in tents, but not at Nickelmine. That's bear country. I've tented in bear areas before, but I choose not to anymore, especially with kids.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #20

Black bear or brown bear? BIG difference!

I had a brown bear get between me and my tent (with my girlfriend in it) while camping in Yosemite in 1996. I got up in the middle of the night to use the tree, and saw the bear (smallish, about 200 or so pounds) between me and the tent. I froze in sub freezing weather in my underpants waiting for it to mosey away. All I had was a flashlight and a .22. 8O

After I got back in the tent I realized I was no safer with a thin wall of nylon between us and the claws and teeth of the bear.

I did not sleep well that night. :(

Old 01-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #21

They used to say that there's a difference (and I'm primarily concerned abour grizzlies), but there have been attacks by black bears as well. It just depends upon how hungry they are, especially if they're awake in November when they should be hibernating.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #22

I would not want to be attacked by either one. BUT I could likely stop a black bear with a .357. A brown bear would shove it up my --- and then eat me and crap the gun out on the ranger's doorstep.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #23

We don't pack firearms into camping areas. Therefore, a sheet metal barrier between me and the bear is preferred to a tent.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #24

Quote:
We often camp in tents, but not at Nickelmine. That's bear country. I've tented in bear areas before, but I choose not to anymore, especially with kids.

that sucks as we are tenters and were hopeing to do some camping up there this summer.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #25

I think in Alaska it's required to have a firearm in bear country. I thought that was the case in Canada as well? :?:

Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz
Quote:

that sucks as we are tenters and were hopeing to do some camping up there this summer.
You can tent there, and some people do. I just choose not too. Some of my friends think I'm being wimpy about it, but whatever.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz
Quote:

You can tent there, and some people do. I just choose not too. Some of my friends think I'm being wimpy about it, but whatever.

okily dokily good to go then.....we have (in the past) slept in the blazer (the air matress just fits in there) guess we will just have to assess the situation before we set up the tent.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #28

Yeah, Son of Weldangrind and I will probably sleep in our van at Nickelmine this year. At least we can take full advantage of the riding area that way without having to leave the same day.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I think in Alaska it's required to have a firearm in bear country. I thought that was the case in Canada as well? :?:
Isn't it all bear country around here? I don't think that's the rule, I've never heard such a thing.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #30

Maybe just a recommendation. From the Alaska State Parks website:

You are allowed to carry a gun for protection in state parks. Remember, though, that more people are hurt by the guns they carry than are hurt by bears. Select a gun that will stop a bear (12-gauge shotgun or .300 mag rifle) and practice firing it at a rifle range. Any bear shot in self defense must be salvaged and turned over to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

I also know that the AOPA, the Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association, out biggest group, recommends a shotgun in the survival kit of anyone flying in the Alaskan or Canadian bush:

A firearm can be useful, but it generally isn't all that important in the lower 48. However, in some areas a gun is a good idea for protection and it is required equipment when flying in Alaska and remote areas of Canada. For these purposes the choice is between a high powered rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun. Many experienced bush pilots seem to prefer the shotgun and slugs for its effectiveness against bears. Many carry both or a hand gun to complement the shotgun.