Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #1

CSC proposed 500 mile ride

From the CSC Facebook page:

"Our next event will be the mega Overland Expo in Flagstaff, Arizona, May 15-17. We hope to see many of you there! We're also considering leading a ride from our Azusa, California, headquarters to Flagstaff. Let us know if you would have any interest in being part of a 500-mile CSC group ride!"

If enough interest is shown they might do it. Go to their FB page and comment that you are interested. The CSC crew will leave on the 14th of May. That would be the day of the ride.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #2

it would speak to the reliability of the bike if they did this in a single day.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
it would speak to the reliability of the bike if they did this in a single day.
I was thinking the same thing. They could film the ride and use it as advertisement with real world owners.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #4

500 miles on a day for that engine is nothing, the weak link would be the rider.
A real average speed for a CG 230 engine would be around 65-69 mph
That means you will need to ride almost 8 hours and that's NON STOP... by the end you will need black market to make a line on the rear....
But checking Google maps
Azusa to Flagstaff that's a 442 miles trip (short route) which means around 7 hours something trip, a few notes checking the map:

From Barstow to Kingsman about 206 miles of empty desert which can play against the riders, getting tired, annoyed by the weather, also from barstow to kingsman if you use the I-40 i was only able to locate one gas station, which means riders will have to carry extra fuel just in case.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
If enough interest is shown they might do it. Go to their FB page and comment that you are interested. The CSC crew will leave on the 14th of May. That would be the day of the ride.
Are you going? You live RIGHT THERE and you have a CSC! BTW, how is the exhaust?

I think they would be foolish to make this a one-day ride. My guess is when the ride gets to the straight shot from Barstow, the ride will take the old Route 66 as opposed to Interstate 40. They will have to take into account the TT250s coming along. I am guessing the ride might go up and over the mountains next to Azuza and into the Antelope Valley. I am not as familiar with where the ride could go next to get to Barstow avoiding Interstate 15, but I have not mapped it out, either; rather, I am going off of memory of getting to Las Vegas from the San Fernando Valley using the Antelope Valley. Perhaps there is more information on CSC's site blog? I haven't looked there, either.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #6

So I guess the route would be the Mojave Road?

Old 03-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #7

Irate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
So I guess the route would be the Mojave Road?
I am not familiar with Mojave Road, but if it is Route 66, yes...I just couldn't imagine the ride starting on the 210 Freeway, to Interstate 15 to Interstate 40. Come to think of it, since Foothill Blvd. is Route 66, they could possibly roll out the parking lot for starters and follow the old route. I am quite sure the old 66 goes through all the way to Flagstaff.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #8

Mojave Road is a dirt trail from around Barstow to the Arizona border. There are some deep water crossings on it in the spring, so it may not be a good choice.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Are you going? You live RIGHT THERE and you have a CSC! BTW, how is the exhaust?

I think they would be foolish to make this a one-day ride. My guess is when the ride gets to the straight shot from Barstow, the ride will take the old Route 66 as opposed to Interstate 40. They will have to take into account the TT250s coming along. I am guessing the ride might go up and over the mountains next to Azuza and into the Antelope Valley. I am not as familiar with where the ride could go next to get to Barstow avoiding Interstate 15, but I have not mapped it out, either; rather, I am going off of memory of getting to Las Vegas from the San Fernando Valley using the Antelope Valley. Perhaps there is more information on CSC's site blog? I haven't looked there, either.

I will take my RX3 if it happens. Haven't done the exhaust thing yet lol. You can get to Barstow without using the freeways from both Asuza and Fontana. Will take longer though. TT would definitely be slow up hills.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #10

I have not knowingly driven much of route 66 in CA, except for Santa Monica Blvd. Most of my mother road experience has been in AZ, in towns like Kingman, William's, Holbrook and Winslow. My favorite stretch of route 66 is starting at the CA border, then east through Oatman AZ and a nice mountain range. Watch for wild donkeys in the road around Oatman.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #11

Just as there is nothing on I 40 from Barstow to the AZ state line, from the bits I have seen from I 40, there is not much going on except for railroad crossings. I think the 'funner' bits occur once you cross into Arizona; there are a few little tourist towns. I have been on several parts of it starting when I grew up in the Los Angeles area, but those were often by circumstance (i.e. Santa Monica Blvd., Foothills Blvd., etc.). I took parts of it when I lived and worked on the Navajo Reservation in northern AZ (i.e. through Flagstaff and Winona, etc.). I think I had been on some of it growing up in Chicago, but I have not researched if this is true (I mean, really where the other end started--Chicago?).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Just as there is nothing on I 40 from Barstow to the AZ state line, from the bits I have seen from I 40, there is not much going on except for railroad crossings.
Which makes it a dangerous road. Here in Argentina we have some areas like that, desert for a long long way.
First time i took one those roads, i saw a few signs that say something along the lines " BE AWARE, STRAIGHT FOR A LONG WAY"... in my mind was "ooohh come is much better that way!!"
After 4 hours of a straight line with only desert on both sides, your mind gets tired and you can fall sleep....

What i would do:
Leave Azusa at around 15:00
Reach Barstow at around 17:00, there the crew can take photos of the motorcycle, have some nice dinner more photos. Next day very early leave to flagstaff

or

Leave azusa not so early in the morning drive to the state line, take some pictures and then drive to kingman
Once there once again, photo ops, dinner and a good rest
Next morning non stop till flagstaff.