Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #1

Where can I order a new throttle cable

I recently purchased a Kinroad 2007 endure bike from a co-worker. Today the throttle cable ripped at the very head of the cable. I looked on amazon and ebay and can't find the right one. Email is vabloogalook@gmail.com

Old 07-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

The cables used on these bikes tend to be fairly generic. If you know what length you need there are universal options out there, including whole throttle assemblies with cables. Measure the case length and cable length and I can definitely help you search and figure out what cable will work.

Otherwise, you can purchase a Venhill cable kit and build your own. Very high quality parts in those kits, and it just requires a little trimming/cutting and soldering on your part on one of the ends.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The cables used on these bikes tend to be fairly generic. If you know what length you need there are universal options out there, including whole throttle assemblies with cables. Measure the case length and cable length and I can definitely help you search and figure out what cable will work.

Otherwise, you can purchase a Venhill cable kit and build your own. Very high quality parts in those kits, and it just requires a little trimming/cutting and soldering on your part on one of the ends.
I agree with Megadan on this. And the Venhill kit is much higher quality than most pre-made cables out there. And, if you don't know how to do the soldering part of the operation, we can walk you through the process...ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 07-01-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: punctuation error

Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 AM   #4

Hi , how can I get help on the sodering that needs to be done on the throttle cable? Thanks

Old 08-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank250enduro View Post
Hi , how can I get help on the sodering that needs to be done on the throttle cable? Thanks
If I was doing this I would make the whole throttle cable, sheath and inner wire, 4 or 5 inches longer than the original. Then, if you don't have one, buy a butane powered pencil torch, and a pressure can of butane. A propane torch will not work, as there is too much flame, and the flame cone is too big. Get some plain solder wire and flux, probably at the hardware store. Don't throw away the old cable yet, you may need one or both of the nipples (cable ends), and it is great for a practice run or two. Wherever the ends are going to go you need to tin the cable where you are going to cut it. Tinning it means soaking a half inch length of it in molten solder. You tin it to prevent the cable from spreading out after you cut it. Put flux on the wire where you are going to put the solder. You heat the wire, not the solder. Keep touching the wire with the solder as you heat it. Suddenly, when the wire reaches the right temperature (around 650 degrees F), the wire will suck up the solder, and bingo, it is tinned. Do both ends. Remember, if you make the inner wire too short, you are out of luck, and have to buy another cable (N-O-O-O-O!). Sad, but true. So, set the cable adjuter at the handle bar halfway between in and out. Each of the nipples has a cone on one side. You push the cable through the hole in the nipple through the plain end and out through the coned end. Flux the cone. Heat the cone. This remelts the solder in the wire. Now using a center punch or a large nail, spread the wire as much as you can. Re-flux, and fill the cone to the top. Now, note that the solder does not carry any of the load. The spread out wires in the cone do that. All that the solder does is prevent the wire from squeezing down, and slithering out of the cone. Did I forget anything?....ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 08-03-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: miss spell

Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #6

As Ariel stated, it is better to go too long and have to trim it back than it is to go too short and have to buy a new kit again. Use your old cables as a reference for the cable length vs sheath length. If the cable is too long in relation to the sheath you will either have too little adjustment or none at all.

Take your time, measure as many times as you need to be comfortable in your decision. The old saying of measure twice, cut once applies here too.

As for the soldering, definitely practice on the old cable. After you practice a couple of times you will find that it is a lot easier than your brain is making you think it is. The great thing about soldering is, if you mess up you can fix it. The biggest key is to not overheat the cable. Patience is key, and as suggested, use a butane torch over propane.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #7

Thanks guys

Old 08-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Get some plain solder wire and flux, probably at the hardware store...
Those for potable water are good stuff. NO lead & high strength
Youtube had tons examples.

Tags
dual sport, enduro, kinroad, throttle cable