Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

Chains, Chains..

Hi Forum,

I'm having some chain slackening happening with my Gio ATVs. My 50cc today when I loaded it up was so loose it was hanging on the swingarm. It only has 6 hours riding on it and was tight before last use.

The 110cc I have tightened twice already and has about 10 hours use.

Is this normal new chain stretching, crap chinese made chain, or some other underlying problem?

I do know there is supposed to be some chain deflection, and occaisional tightening is required, but I guess the degree of the loosening and the frequency is raising my question.

Thanks for the coming help as always.
-TT

Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

IMHO, there are two issues: chain quality and method of adjustment. I'm not saying that you're not adjusting the chain properly, only that it can be a factor.

If the chain is on the low end, it'll stretch like plastic. I use RK or DID chains that range from $15 to $30, depending on size. I don't buy the o-ring type. They still stretch, but not alot.

If the chain is not adjusted properly, it can stretch quickly and create premature wear on sprockets and swingarm bushings. When I adjust a chain on a quad, I support the quad with a jackstand under the frame and a scissor jack under the axle. I then remove the bottom shock bolt and move it out of the way. I jack up the scissor jack until the front sprocket, rear sprocket and swingarm bolt are all in line. I adjust the chain until it is just on the loose side of taut; this is the tightest point for the chain throughout the range of travel.

If a chain is adjusted while on the ground and not under load, it may end up being too tight once the suspension is compressed enough to put the sprockets and swingarm bolt in line.

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #3

Hey Weldangrind,

Thanks again for weighing in with your knowledge on my posts, it is much appreciated.

I get what you're saying with your chain adjustement technique, and it is the way to ensure proper tension throughout the travel of the swingarm and shock.

With that said, if you have proper tension on the chain and it's still stretching like a rubber band more than likely it's these crap stock chains on the unit? I ask because I don't think I have these things too tight when I set them.

When you mention DID and RK I assume these are popular brands?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #4

If it is not an adjustment issue, then it is most likely a poor quality issue. I don't even use the Chinese chains; I install a brand name chain during initial assembly.

Yes, RK and DID are very common chains that are easily found at any motorcycle shop. Be armed with the link count before you go to a shop.

For the benefit of the newer riders reading this post, the new chain will rarely be exactly the right length. Be prepared to cut the chain to length and remember these two important items: you must end up with two "female" links that will each accept the master link, and once that is established, you can't remove one link at a time, only in pairs.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #5

I'm having the same exact problem. The chain is stretching alot and I have to continuously adjust the chain. How are the heavy duty chains?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

At least I'm not alone!

I will have to look at some better quality chain soon I guess... add it to the list!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
I'm having the same exact problem. The chain is stretching alot and I have to continuously adjust the chain. How are the heavy duty chains?
The HD chains are a bit better, but they still stretch a bit. Again, chain adjustment procedure is critical; if you don't adjust the chain at the right point, you'll over-stress it once the suspension is compressed under your weight.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #8

When adjusting the chain tension, besides the alignment you mentioned, do you take fixed (not spring loaded) chain tightners into account ?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonezuk
When adjusting the chain tension, besides the alignment you mentioned, do you take fixed (not spring loaded) chain tightners into account ?
Please elaborate.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #10

I am refering the two the hard rubber or fiber idlers that are used to guide the chain from the output sproket on the engine to the gear on the rear axle.

So with the rear shock removed and moving the swing arm to the area with the greatest tension, do you have to make any adjustments to compensate for the idlers (rollers,followers).

When the suspension is extended to its maximum, the chain can tighten when passing over these fixed idlers as compared to spring loaded tensioners.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #11

It sounds like you're describing chain rollers. With non-sprung chain rollers, the chain tightening procedure generally remains the same. To be sure, use a jack under the rear axle and cycle the axle up and down (with the shock removed). Compare the chain tension at the sprocket and swingarm alignment point with tension above and below that point. Find the point where the chain is at its tightest, and adjust until it is just on the slack side of taut.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #12

Quote:
I am refering the two the hard rubber or fiber idlers that are used to guide the chain from the output sproket on the engine to the gear on the rear axle.

So with the rear shock removed and moving the swing arm to the area with the greatest tension, do you have to make any adjustments to compensate for the idlers (rollers,followers).

When the suspension is extended to its maximum, the chain can tighten when passing over these fixed idlers as compared to spring loaded tensioners.
Do any Chinese quads or dirt bikes have these?? I have no chain guides on my quads, but do have some on my YZ; which look more to like they are there as a rub point over the swingarm, so there is no metal on metal contact with a sloppy chain.

The only tensioned chains I have seen are inside motors, not normally on the outside on anything chain driven.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 AM   #13

my gio had the had the same chain prob even snaped the chain cover but started to turn bolts on swing arm few times every ride seems to have takein care of the prob as well as tightin the swing arm bolt mine looked fine but turned by hand so dont think that helped the chain prob might want to check that .. my rm chain seems to be much better so im guessin the right answer is to just get a better made chain but over all with few min here and there chain prob seem to go away by adjustin bolts on back swing arm and main bolt that holds swing arm on hope that helps a little till u can get new chain

Old 07-21-2009, 03:11 AM   #14

o and i added rubber along frame where chain goes like on my dirtbike bc every now and then it would hit and toss chain off or just make a nasty sound (only seemed to happen when turnin but) .. i dont no if that had anything to do with the chain prob as it seems to have stop with turnin bolts few times after every ride but it helped stop the chain for makein a nasty sound every time it rubed on the frame lol

Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:

Do any Chinese quads or dirt bikes have these?? I have no chain guides on my quads, but do have some on my YZ; which look more to like they are there as a rub point over the swingarm, so there is no metal on metal contact with a sloppy chain.

The only tensioned chains I have seen are inside motors, not normally on the outside on anything chain driven.
Your YZ likely has a chain slider on top of the swingarm and a chain roller on the bottom. As you say, the slider prevents metal to metal contact, and the roller helps to guide the chain throught the tremendous rear wheel travel on your bike.

Yes, you see the odd China bike with sliders and rollers; my son's Gio 125 had both. I fabricated a chain slider on our 150 quad, and I'm going to install a Yamaha slider I have on our 200. It will make the chain and swingarm sound better and last longer.