Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #1

Oil is full but none can be seen in side glass

I a have an ata-125 and I can no longer see oil in the side port. I added oil and it way overfilled according to the dipstick. It is also starting to be difficult to shift.

What does all this mean? New clutch? Blocked filter?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #2

There has been some discussion regarding this in some other threads. I would always just fill up to where the dipstick says it is fine, as long as you are inserting the dipstick correctly and getting a proper reading.

Too much oil in an engine is a problem, and could account for your shifting problems. It also is damaging to seals and gaskets as there is too much pressure and no where for the oil to go.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #3

Shifting problem on ata 125 semi automatic

You may have a problem in your transmission. I have ordered 3 of these ata125 tao tao's and two out of three have had the engine/transmission sent back for a replacement. Transmission didn't shift right and one jammed to the point that it wouldn't work at all. They are good about sending out a replacement though. The third and last bike didn't even make a quarter mile before it piled up! I hope the replacement engine/transmission's last longer than that. The third bike has been running fine without any problems.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #4

My guess is that you have the sight glass full of clean oil and just cant see it.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
There has been some discussion regarding this in some other threads. I would always just fill up to where the dipstick says it is fine, as long as you are inserting the dipstick correctly and getting a proper reading.
With all of our machines, the proper dipstick reading is taken without screwing the dipstick in. Just resting the dipstick on the case for level readings results in seeing oil in the sight glass. Consult your owner's manual, but I suspect that yours is the same.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer