Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #16

Yes mine leaks on start up at the first connection point off the main tube.

I'm hardly stressing about it though as it tends to stop when it warms up. Gas will take the easiest exit and I think as the tube warms it expands and seals up more, then the exhaust flows out the back. I'm not about to try to weld it up so I just live with it.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #17

It has arrived. Ordered Wednesday evening, here Friday evening. Not bad. Starting assembly now.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:33 AM   #18

First Assembly and Start Up Report

I spent about 5 hours in the front yard twisting wrench on the new 50cc Pink Gio. 5 hours total which included B.S.ing with neighbours, drinking a couple wobbly pops and such..

Initial impression is this thing is cool. I like it better than the 110cc for various reasons. Firstly being it's MUCH easier to assemble. The 110cc came with fenders, exhaust, shocks, wheels, handlebars all off, while the 50cc was basically handlebars and wheels, with a few other fiddly things that were not too bad. Even has front brakes which I find a little bit not necessary and a bit needly to install. I hooked up the cables but not enough tension yet so I will be playing with that a bit more, however I don't think they are really needed as the back brake is more than adequate.

I had a bit of a problem with the front right wheel, it didn't want to slide all the way back on the axel, it was hanging up on something. I had to use the wheel nut to push it into position, careful as to not screw up the bearing. Once it was in place it is rubbing on the brake assembly and makes a bit of noise. I think either the brake or the inside hub is not 'true'. It's something to mess with but I am concerned about trying to get the wheel off now, might have to dig up my old deadblow plastic hammer.

The thing looks cool, even in pink! ..and when 280lbs me sits on it feels solid. The 110cc is really squishy and the shocks feel like they bottom out with me on it, this 50cc doesn't at all, and just feels like it would haul me around easily. No tipping side to side and feels comfortable for a little unit.

Now the negative news:
Someone in the design area of this unit needs a SMACK or PUNCH in the head due to the placement of the oil drain plug. Perhaps the drain plug is in the right spot but the motor is not placed in the frame properly. There is a frame cross member RIGHT UNDER THE DRAIN PLUG. Be damned if I could get a wrench in there to take it out. Do they not change the oil in China? Basically there was no oil showing on the dipstick, so I just put new oil in it, but I don't know HOW I am going to change it after break in!

I have a carb adjustment problem. I started the thing up, and it runs like a pile of shit. I was messing with it a little, if I open the choke it runs at real high rpm, so high it wants to go. If I close the choke down it sputters, coughs and dies. I got on, let the brake off and it roars up the road like it's under full power. It's like reverse driving, brake on to slow down, take off and it goes, no throttle needed. If I push the throttle lever nothing happens. My issue here is the thing is so small I can barely get my gorilla hands in there to adjust anything. Can't even get a screw driver into the screw on the side. I'm seeing the plastic having to come off and the carb off to fix it. >sigh< The 110cc started up and ran fantastic without any adjustments. I guess that is what I get for easy assembly, now I need to take apart to get the carb off.

If anyone has any tips in this regard I'm all eyes and ears.

I think that's about it for now. Will take some pics of the bugger when I get some time.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #19

Yep, I had the same exact problems. All I did was put the parking brakes on so it would not leave on me. I'm only 14 so my hands are not that big but I had enough space to fiddle around.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #20

TurboT, as much as removing the body work is a PITA, I suspect that the carb slider is hung up. Open and close the throttle rapidly, and you should feel the throttle close quickly under spring pressure. If not, remove the top cap from the carb for inspection, ensure that there are no burrs on the slider (or the cylinder it slides in) and reassemble.

I wouldn't make any other changes until you're past this point.

If the throttle opens and snaps shut properly, the next step would be to begin moving the needle clip within the slider, and to adjust the air / fuel mixture screw.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #21

Hey guys..

I would agree there definetely needs some carb work.

My back is screaming at me today for crawling around underneath that thing yesterday (I'm 6'6, it's a long way down) so I will probably take today off and drag this thing out to my parents tomorrow for some father's day bonding with pops and the quad. Dad's a 40 year mechanic / engine man, never seen anything he couldn't fix so not a bad guy to have having a look at it and helping out.

I'm SO NOT wanting to remove the body but if that's what needs to happen we'll get it done.

-TT

Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
TurboT, as much as removing the body work is a PITA, I suspect that the carb slider is hung up. Open and close the throttle rapidly, and you should feel the throttle close quickly under spring pressure. If not, remove the top cap from the carb for inspection, ensure that there are no burrs on the slider (or the cylinder it slides in) and reassemble.

I wouldn't make any other changes until you're past this point.

If the throttle opens and snaps shut properly, the next step would be to begin moving the needle clip within the slider, and to adjust the air / fuel mixture screw.
Almost Bang On, ALMOST. I'll explain.

Dragged the quads in the new Ram out to my parents for a little assitance from expert mechanic dad. Happily I noticed the flaring or airflow plastics remove from the body making getting to the carb a bit easier. After some messing with the mixture screw with absolutely no difference, we removed the top cap from the carb. The needle seems to be smooth with no problems but after each re-install didn't seem to go in properly, or didn't change the overfueling problem.

We finally just took the carb off and peered inside. The problem was the throttle slider/needle was installed the wrong way or backwards. On each side there is a slot, one longer than the other. When installed backwards it screws on like you think it should but the needle was not dropping far enough down to govern the fuel flow. Once we flipped it, we could feel the needle drop in. Screwed the carb back on, adjusted the idle screw and by golly gee it runs like a million bucks. Purrs like a kitten with the odd mis-fire, my guess due to the crap plug.

Now I can safely govern the speed for my little princess and I'm sure she'll have a great time.

W&G, thanks for the great tip as it was indeed the slider and needle, just not burred but backwards. I was worried for a bit I was going to have a dissapointed little girl as we are leaving for Pemberton on Friday and I would not have had a replacement carb by then.

I will post some riding reviews and perhaps some pictures of everyone enjoying their quads from the mountains next week!!

-TT

Old 06-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #23

I'm glad to hear that flipping the slider solved the problem. If you have a moment, I'd recommend changing to an NGK before the Pemberton trip.

Please tell us more about Pemberton upon your return. Do you have a place to ride that is near your accomodations? Pemberton isn't far from us if we take the back way North of Hope. I'm always looking for new riding areas.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #24

The boss of the company I work for has a place up there, a 5 bedroom house that sits empty most of the time, nestled in 36 acres of valley up against a few mountains. I have left my YZ up there over the winter and am missing it now. Had no way to get it back until two days ago!

Most of the riding we do is around the grass lands on the property, but I know there are some good riding spots around. I will try to hit up the locals and find out some good trails. There is also the Pemberton MX track which I've yet worked up the courage to try.