Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #1

Having trouble downshifting

If a moment of drunken stupidity I let a rather large friend of mine go ride my ATV in the mud. It came back literally covered in mud and now it will shift up just find but in order to get it to down shift you practically have to jump up and down on the shifter.

I was told that it started when he was trying to come down a steep hill it kept stalling on him, that when it became an issue. Don't know if it makes a difference or not but he was also 'speed shifting' ie not using the clutch to go from 2nd to 3rd to 4th.

Going to open it up and take a look at it this evening, but I know next to nothing about transmissions, so if anyone might have an idea where to start or some helpful tips I'd be grateful. I'm personally hoping it's just a bent lever lol

Old 06-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #2

I'm not a transmission guy either but I would invite said friend to bring a case of beer over with his tool kit to give you a hand repairing it!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #3

somewhere on here theres a post that shows pictures but i woould check the shift drum theres a bolt that works loose pretty easy just pull the cover off the side with the clutch and work the shifter you should see a star looking piece then check the bolt maybe loctite it it has a 10mm head
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 06-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #4

anyone know where I might be able to find a gasket kit for a 250cc locin clone motor? Or any spec's and/or torque specs for the same engine. The more I tear into it the more I wonder about if I'm going to be able to put it back together lol!!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #5

Take your time and take lots of pictures.

If you cant find a gasket you can buy a roll of gasket material at most every auto parts store and make your own.

I on ocassin speed shift ...its not really a good thing to do and I'd be pretty hot under the collar to find someone riding one of my machines and doing that as it can do damage easily.
I wouldnt do it to someone else's machine after they were nice enough to loan it to me.