Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #1

Kalifornia registration issues, go figure.

Ok, so my $900 plated Shineray may not have been the deal I thought it was.

Apprently the plate that was on the bike was supposed to have been surrendered to the DMV back in october and the bike really has a Red Sticker registration.

I went in to the DMV and fought with them for about an hour. I eventually got a green sticker and its in my name now.

Do get it registered for the street I need to have it inspected for lights, brakes.. blah blah etc.. and a CA Emissions Sticker. Damn. Don't have one of those, can I fake one? (kidding, maybe, shhh)

Paging all CA registered owners, do you have a CA sticker? liverchip?

What are my options/chances of registering in AZ or NV?

Right now, I have a 200cc dirtbike. Poo.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #2

Can you bring in a bike from another state with a title? If so one of the guys in AZ might be able to title it for you and the "sell" it back to you with a clear AZ street title.

Allen

Old 04-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #3

You can get a cow registered in AZ, Sucks Kalivornia has to be a pain about it.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #4

Furious research turns up....

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/custom-built-cars.php

What if I removed the vin plate and chasis "Shineray" plate and said I collected the parts over the internet and built the thing in my garage.

Hmmm...

Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #5

There is a dealer in San Diego called JP Motorsports that sold the old Qlink enduro, the X-Ranger 200 (built and badged by Zongshen, who is the OEM for this bike called the Sierra 200) who plated them. Now, they sell the new Qlink XF200 (a Qingqi-OEM'd bike) and plate them, too. Liverchip bought his Frankenstein dual sport (no, it's not ugly, but no "real" manufacturer--I theorized it's a Jetmoto-built bike) that was plated by TXX Motorsports in Orange County. If you go to their site, they have a couple of Roketa models and the fore-mentioned Zongshen Sierra on their site. Apparently, they get plates for all of them.

One thing you might want to consider before it gets too late is a threat, and then an actual small-claims suit if the seller won't budge. You bought a plated bike (you thought) and the seller never disclosed to you that he was supposed to turn in the plate. Now, I am not sure what was discussed between the two of you before the deal, and I am assuming this was discussed. If it wasn't discussed, then you are stuck with an ok off-road bike, and you will have to decide what to do. But again, if it was supposed to be street-legal, and it was sold to you under that impression, and you did go to the DMV, then you should consider this route.

Oh, the reason I mentioned the dealers is because perhaps they will "buy" the bike from you, and "sell" it back to you, doing their magic in the meantime. Just a thought. I would have no problem registering the bike in Yuma for you, but I don't think this will fly, either. Hope it turns out well for you, but another option, if the seller didn't want to get sued, is to give you some of the money. Perhaps tell him that the bike is worthless, but you have an out of state buyer (if it ultimately ended up that you wanted to be rid of it), but you can only get $400 (ok, my hint that when I am in the L.A. area on and off for the summer, I might consider taking the bike off your hands :wink: ) so he can give you $500 back, or something to that effect...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #6

I have a couple options....

I know a cop out here that might sign off on my REG343 form...

I have an uncle in AZ. that I'm sure would register it out there for a bottle of whiskey. I just hope to local PD doesn't wise up to the AZ plated bike they see all the damn time :laugh:

And for whats its worth, I called the seller. Basically im SOL in that route, we didn't have a contract, or even a reciept for that matter. I gave him cash, he signed the DMV bill of sale form. Included with the bike was a registration form that I thought was THE registration form, on closer inspection its really the RED sticker paperwork (no red sticker with it) and according to him, he never recieved a letter from the DMV revoking the plate. He did tell me that I might have an issue renewing it, but I dismissed that as I already had the plate. (didn't know it wasn't valid)

Ahhh, lesson learned, atleast it only cost me $900 and if nothing else works out I do have a dirt bike in the end.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #7

I'm glad to hear it's not the end for you! Was this the ad?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/650378823.html

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-26-2008, 02:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
I'm glad to hear it's not the end for you! Was this the ad?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/650378823.html
Thats the one. I made a big deal about it being chinese copy and waved some cash around and got him down to $900

Although, thats not my bike in the picture, He had 2 at some point because my bike has a different plate number. I called the DMV and gave them that plate number and they said it had a different VIN from my bike.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #9

Sounds like you need some kind of saftey mechanical check, I had to get one here in Canada to register my bike, License Bureau had know idea what it was, so they made me sign a declaration that it was a motorcycle etc...
get the inspection done..im sure there is a mechanic around who can get you a CA certification :o

Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #10

The safety check is no big deal, it's the CA emissions that is the problem. If it's not CARB certified and doesn't have the CA emissions sticker, the state doesn't want it on the road. They are closing any loopholes as fast as they can find them. :? Be careful with the out-of-state plate thing, all it takes is one @$$h*1e turning you in to land you in some REALLY hot water. I would get ahold of the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair or the CA Air Resources Board and ask if there is any way you can have this bike emissions tested for registration. I wound up dealing with the B.A.R. when I registered my out-of-state Toyota, and they actually helped me jump thru the hoops. The worst they can do is say no. :(

Good Luck, Mike

Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaoffroader
Be careful with the out-of-state plate thing, all it takes is one @$$h*1e turning you in to land you in some REALLY hot water.
The police are really trained to spot this, especially the CHiPs. They will wonder why there is a guy riding an out-of-state plated bike, and find a reason to pull you over. Then, they will probably not buy the explanation that your uncle is visiting from Arizona, and he let you ride his bike (since your ID will be from California) around.

I really think you should contact TXX Motorsports in Orange County, the place where 'Liverchip' bought his bike. He bought a no-name Chinese 250 enduro and they got it registered for him. They show several Chinese dual-sports on their site, and are apparently able to street register them for Calif. Perhaps, you can 'sell' it to them, and they can 'sell' it back to you?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #12

from what I understand, its illegal to sell a vehicle in CA without a carb certificate?
Not sure where you got the bike but it sounds like it was an illegal sale?
I think you should contact the OEM of the bike if you can and ask them... either that or email the resource board....
Sounds like Cali can be a bitc$ ........ :twisted:

Old 05-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theENIGMATIC
It is. One of the MANY reasons I was forced to escape. Twice. :oops:

Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #14

Here bro, this might be useful......

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

Said something about needing a perm license plate before you can apply for a sticker...can you at least get the bike plated.....I read something about registering as non-operational for $17.00 a year...not sure if you get a plate with that.....Ill be Back!!! :?:

Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theENIGMATIC
from what I understand, its illegal to sell a vehicle in CA without a carb certificate?
Not sure where you got the bike but it sounds like it was an illegal sale?

CARB is a California-specific document that goes a few steps above and beyond the US EPA certification. Bikes that get EPA cert are legal for 49 states, with Cali making you jump one extra hoop. Shineray is CARB certified for off-road, hence the green sticker. A green sticker gives a rider 365 days of off-road enjoyment. Red-stickers are a little bit more strict, and allow a rider certain times of the year to ride a bike off-road. However, green-sticker bikes used to be able to get street registered, but that loophole has changed, for the worse.

I tried to used the "illegal" sale thing for his sake, at least as far as a civil court for suing for damages, but there was no contract, as he stated. However, to me, he should still sue the guy in small claims for $900 and state that he cannot get the bike registered. In California, when you sell a car, the seller is required to make sure the car passes an emissions test. thus, buyers are not stuck with a bike. Since 'absolut' thought he was buying a streeted bike, and the seller did not sell him one, I would think that he could get his money back, at least, using the same or similar logic as a car needing to pass an emissions test (bikes don't get tested there)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150