Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #31

The government is "shut down?" I hadn't noticed. That is probably the reason why it was warm and sunny today.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #32

The little bike did fine, although it worked hard to keep it's speed up on an uphill turning sand trail, but it did do it. It prefered going down LOL!

My GY200 will pull stumps out. It's got a 56 tooth rear sprocket. Trouble is I'm running 6k rpm in 5th at 45mph. Looks like you're running a low 40ish sprocket on yours? I'm going to change out my rear for a 46 tooth if I can find one.

I hear guys in their 50's and 60's from EVEN California (rural areas) say how they would bring a .22 to school and leave it in their locker to go plinking after class with their friends.

I'm one of those guys. We used to travel along side the main road in Fremont CA. on our 'dirt bikes' (garelli modified). I had a Winchester .32 Model '94 slung on my back, and wave to the police, they'ed wave back. They'ed have a swat team out if that were today. Another reason to live in GA!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #33

Interesting! Fremont is where I lived when I heard people talking about that. Paseo Padre? Mowery Ave? That Winchester would be worth bank now.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #34

My GY has a 45 on it. 60 MPH is about 8000 RPM. Still winding its guts out but it works. I also put a bigger front sprocket on.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #35

Oh the joys of Chinese bike ownership! I am specs my hoses today, knowing that they are sometimes a weak point. I discover that the breather hose is split and broken off of the engine. It turns out, that the who's that they used was much too small for the nipple, and they forced it to fit by stretching it over. In order to replace it, I had to remove the exhaust, in order to do that I had to remove the luggage rack and the bodywork. I was able to find a hose in my collection, and I reinstalled and rerouted it in a more effective way. In the process of doing this, I discovered that my oil filler cap had fallen off. It turns out that the chrome knob is only loosely glued onto the screw in dipstick itself. A little JB Weld fix that, but had I lost that on the road, I would not have been able to get the dipstick out!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #36

Fortunately, all of these little bugs or inexpensive or free to fix, and simple enough. Even so, I look forward to not fixing anything anymore! LOL. At least I am back in the Chinese bike ownership club :-). By the way, please pardon the syntax errors. I do not have Internet at home, and am dictating this on my iPhone. They do pretty good, but sometimes screw things up.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Interesting! Fremont is where I lived when I heard people talking about that. Paseo Padre? Mowery Ave? That Winchester would be worth bank now.
Fremont used to encumber 93 square miles. It was mainly a produce growing area.
Long before there was Lake Elisabeth, there were gravel pits that Alameda Creek used to feed into. The road now known as Paseo Padre used to parallel that creek and the gravel pits. We used to hunt 'vermets' or, 'plinking' in that area. Across from the gravel pits was a place we called 'Honda Hill'. There are many old motorcycles buried in that big crevasse we would ride down, then back up the other side trying to get as airborne as we could. There were many a broken bone on the landings as it was almost straight up. My Garelli shot up about 10 or so feet and came down on its side the last time I rode it. I left it there in the bottom. RIP Garelli!. I think that would be where Grimmer dead ends into Paseo now. The Gardino family owned most of the land there and where the New City Hall is located. The other, family owned, large farm was the Fudina Family (Kristi Yamaguchi's family). They were produce farmers, both of which I worked for.
I owned a home on the corner of Paseo and Hancock. It was my last home there. On to Folsom from there.
When I was drafted I gave up my 'Riflemans' Winchester to my brother. You're right I wish I still had it. I still own a cheaper version, a marlin 336w 30-30.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #38

Wow! You really know your history of that area. I lived there for six years, and worked at the Palo Alto medical clinic. I very much like to living there, but I preferred living up in the country, when I moved to Sonora after six years.

When I lived there, everything was built up. The only areas that are not developed, are all off-limits to riding, shooting, and probably most forms of enjoyment nowadays! I did enjoy riding my mountain bike a lot, I would do Mission Peak on a regular basis. Once, when nobody was looking, I took my XR250 up Mission Peak, what a riot!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #39

Truth be told, the Marlin is really a better rifle than the Winchester in a lot of ways. Smoother action, tighter lock up, easier to maintain and work on, and I think it balances a little better in my opinion. With that said, I don't have one, my 30–30 is Winchester

Old 10-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Wow! You really know your history of that area. I lived there for six years, and worked at the Palo Alto medical clinic. I very much like to living there, but I preferred living up in the country, when I moved to Sonora after six years.

When I lived there, everything was built up. The only areas that are not developed, are all off-limits to riding, shooting, and probably most forms of enjoyment nowadays! I did enjoy riding my mountain bike a lot, I would do Mission Peak on a regular basis. Once, when nobody was looking, I took my XR250 up Mission Peak, what a riot!
I loved growing up there. It WAS country. You could hunt, fish, bike ride, dirt bike ride, surf (at Santa Cruz), etc. etc. Wonderful memories. I'm still married to my High School sweetheart of 42 years. We prospered there. They tore down my High School and put up some silly facade of it? Washington. It was built in 1892, I think. In my opinion, California 'ain't' California anymore. Any open land has some rule attached to it , where it's illegal to do anything unless you get permission or PAY a fee for use. Just like the Rubicon. We jeepers used to keep that trail policed, cleaned, etc, etc. The feds and the Sierra Club were always looking for an excuse to shut it down. We kept it in pristine condition, and the Sierra Club, still hated us. I am a conservationist but I have strong words I won't use for them on this site. Sorry if there are any Sierra Club members here.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #41

Whoops, got the ol' ticker in an uproar.
Didn't mean to get too political and off topic, on such a great site.
I left out the most important Fremont Drag Strip. We'd hear Big Daddy Don Garlits Fire up in the spring on a sunny afternoon and the school would empty.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #42

Quote:
Truth be told, the Marlin is really a better rifle than the Winchester in a lot of ways. Smoother action, tighter lock up, easier to maintain and work on, and I think it balances a little better in my opinion. With that said, I don't have one, my 30–30 is Winchester
I agree, but there was something special about it. It felt right, maybe it was all the hype of the Chuck Conners era.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #43

I remember watching The Rifleman, with Chuck Connors, in prime time, on our black-and-white television set.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #44

The Winchester will always have the extra mystique that only a Winchester has. It is what people associate with their childhood movie memories, and the "gun that one the West". I like mine very much. That Morlan also has the advantage of being easier to mount a scope on, and the angle eject of the Winchester works okay, but not great with the scope.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #45

I love out conversation oviking.

For what it is worth, this forum is famous for thread drift. Since this was my thread in the first place, it does not hurt my feelings to watch it drift. Plus you were bringing back so many memories of when I lived in the bay area. I have the same lament for California that you do, but even so, I am moving back.

Even though I was born in New Jersey, I have always considered myself a native Californian. As much as I love and appreciate my time in the Pacific Northwest, I am still a Californian at heart, and intend to go back. I am thinking probably San Luis Obispo County.

So, I am a Californian living in exile, but I do love where I am now also. I will not be moving back for many years, likely not until after I retire. Hopefully, that will be after California finishes crumbling completely, and will be on the upswing :-)