Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2019, 01:26 AM   #1

2018 Apollo 125 Auto ATV stalls no start, no spark

Today I did my usual starting/running of the ATV. Start it, let it idle, then run it around the block. As I pulled into the driveway the ATV just shut off. I checked my fuel level it was good, tried to restart and no fire. I pulled the spark plug, and did not have spark. I check all visible wire connections, found nothing obvious, cranked again, and had spark. Installed the plug back into the ATV, it fired right up, I did a couple forward and reverse shifts to do a test drive, and it shut off right when I put it in reverse. Pulled the plug no spark again. Swapped the plug, got it to start. I jiggled all the wires I could grab to see if I had a bad connection, and nothing. I got the ATV to start, and just shifted through the gears (forward, neutral, reverse), and the ATV stalled this time when shifting into neutral.

I checked the kill switch, and the tether kill switch. Both operate good, and the connections on the kill switch are good. I pulled the stator cover and the sprocket covers to see if there were any open/pinched wires. All looks good there too. I am going to check the stator tomorrow to verify I have good voltage going to the CDI.

Does this sound like a CDI going bad?

The ATV is in like new condition with about 2 1/2 hours on it.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #2

By bet is on the stator being bad. I say that based on our own experience(s) with our 2-year old Tao New Cheetah. We are on our 4th stator.

Sometimes the stator burns-up and it's just done. Other times it works off & on for a while. Each time we have had an electrical issue it has always turned out to be the stator.

In fact, we also have a 2-year old 125 Thumpstar (pit bike) and the only issue we have had with it was also a burned-up stator.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #3

Well I think it is the stator.

I measured around .1-.4 volts while cranking from the blue/white wire when cold and hot.
I measued 19-20 volts during cold crank, and about 39-42 volts when running at the black/red wire.

After it warmed up the engine just shut off. I did the same voltage check at the black/red wire, and I measured around 3-5 volts, and had no spark.

So I am going with a bad stator, unless someone thinks otherwise.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

coil ignition

Check the coil for the spark... is it hot... could be bad when it gets hot... check the wires on it.… does it have push on connectors.. blade type,, they should be tight,. if the stator checks o=k,.. hot and cold … when hot no spark... check the coil... easier than changing the stator.. let me know about it.. check it with an ohm meter .. to the plug wire to the connection... each one.. and then hot.. I have had were the sparkplug boot was no good.. shows up on the ohm meter test..

Old 09-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #5

The new stator came in today. I cut the wire/connector end off of the old unit, and soldered/heat shrinked it onto the new unit. I installed it into the ATV, and it fired up. I did all the voltage checks, and everything looks good. I let it idle for a bit took it for a couple test drives, and let it idle out of gas. No stalling issues. As of now it appears that the Stator was the issue. I'll do another test in the next couple of days, and update if something changes.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglass View Post
The new stator came in today. I cut the wire/connector end off of the old unit, and soldered/heat shrinked it onto the new unit. I installed it into the ATV, and it fired up. I did all the voltage checks, and everything looks good. I let it idle for a bit took it for a couple test drives, and let it idle out of gas. No stalling issues. As of now it appears that the Stator was the issue. I'll do another test in the next couple of days, and update if something changes.
Nice job testing and troubleshooting, sounds like you nailed it!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #7

Advice going forward is to run your quad on the rich side to help keep the motor temp. down. Heat kills the stators.

My 11-year old Grand daughter runs her New Cheetah wide open far to often and even runnning rich we have a constant issue with heat.