Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2023, 11:23 AM   #31

I agree with Dan, I think most people are comfortble getting into something 1.5-2k USD on the premise that if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world. Also if you have the patience to understand the wrenching side the CB clone bikes (and their more exotic Lifan cousins) are actually very, very good.

My assumption is CSC know what they're doing, and are running a playbook. Namely, gently growing their market, but I have to wonder if they're straying from the path a bit. The RX6 is a full-bore head-on challenger to a very busy market.

I always considered the RX3 the way Joe Berk does; a sort of gateway to a higher tier of Chinese quality, that is still cheap enough that you might just be tempted to not worry about the usual concerns of no dealer support and badge prestige. If it fulfils your requirements, you get a well-equipped bike that does all you need for an extremely modest price.

I'm not sure I can say that about the RX4 and upward, because to me they're in a different class in terms of size, weight, and cost. It's a dumb cliche to say "You can get a used Japanese bike for that!" because those bikes (here at least) are largely apocryphal, but the sentiment is correct: You're creeping towards the established market, and in the case of the RX6, you're right in it.

Old 05-02-2023, 03:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
The Chinese aren't screwing around anymore, they're bringing guns to a knife fight, intending to win. They're not confining themselves to the cheap 150cc-230cc CB or CG clone dual sport arena these days. Instead, they're going after the 400cc and up playground, which due to cost appears to not be ChinaRider territory. Which is OK by me, I don't need to see my bike reviewed to confirm to me that I made a good purchase. I do that myself by riding the damn thing. Hell who knows, someday I might even buy a GoPro and review my bikes myself, but it's not a priority right now, though apparently my pre-ordered RX6 has front and rear cameras built in, soooo maybe that bike gets reviewed first...we'll have to play it by ear.
To my mind, they're bringing a knife to a knife fight. The big downside to Chinese bikes is they're all about 50 pounds heavier than the competition, and get pretty awful mileage at sea level. (I'm getting 38-40mpg with my leoncino trail, as low as 35mpg on the SG400 when riding interstate. As high as 57 when hot-dogging in the mountains tho).

If they can drop the weight they'll be bringing a gun to a knife fight. Right now they've got a nice blade, but buyers crave good numbers on spec sheets. Spec sheets get people in the door of the dealership to look at the bike. Then emotions can kick in, and it becomes a sale.

My local dealership is combatting that by putting the big $19,000 Versys right next to the $6000 Benelli TRK502. People come to look at the Versys and see pretty much the same bike with half the horsepower and ask... is an extra 60 horsepower worth 13 thousand bucks to me? I mean, you can almost buy THREE Benelli TRK502 bikes for the cost of the Versys. So to make a long story short, they're selling pretty well it seems. They always have at least two on the floor, and they don't stay there long.

Charles.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:44 AM   #33

I'm a lurker and I just can't justify 5k as a parent that also has to deal with inflation on food, fuel, electricity, water and the fact that if there were an emergency I couldn't sell these bikes and get out close to what I put in. I wouldn't rush out and buy the SG400 when I can find a Honda 500CC easily and not think twice about resale value. I can get cars with more HP for less and that is what most people have in their heads. I recently bought a 2020 SG250 with 114 MI. People are questioning my sanity because its a Chinabike because Japanese bikes are so cheap but only if you are watching out like a hawk because the used market is still coming down.. Almost no forums are making a big deal of documenting the upgrades. That includes Reddit and and the Adventure Riders forum. I like to experiment. I am not afraid of wrenching, AutoCAD or making things but I still expect there to be a decent level of spare parts support as well. I can't go to CSC and get a carburetor rebuild kit for the SG250. I have to spend my time manually digging up parts and waiting on shipping. That's my only problem with this stuff. I can find scooter parts easier than stock parts. It's also a gamble buying parts off Amazon and Aliexpress. I am fully aware that Zongshen makes parts for everything under the sun but I need them to be easier to source locally as well. With a Honda I can literally find parts everywhere.