Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2024, 09:57 AM   #1

Zip tie method of tire change??

I get stressed out , and keep procrastinating on changing my tires. I have the set of 3 spoons, but I noticed that there are some videos on YouTube of people putting a very slightly inflated tube in a tire, and then , using closely spaced zip ties, they squeeze the tire's beads nearly together, and basically just shove the rim in the tire,cut and pull out the zip ties. It looks easy, BUT, I can't help but wonder, why, if it's so easy, is it not common. Have any of you used this method???? What are your opinion of it ?
Thanks

Old 03-02-2024, 11:03 AM   #2

The zip tie is the easiest way.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-02-2024, 05:31 PM   #3

Here's a video. I will definitely be trying this on my CT90 wheels.

1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-02-2024, 05:32 PM   #4

I used all my bigger zip ties, and ended up use a couple of thinner ones, but I did get it done on the rear. I went for a ride, with the intention of getting my bike inspected, but they were closed, being Saturday. I thought that they possibly were before I left, but wanted to ride. The bike definitely feel different, even with just the rear on. It may be my imagination, but the new rear tire seems smaller than what I had. I didn't really notice till I got back, and was fixing to put it away. It's supposed to be a 4.60"x 18, and that is what it says, but it looks shorter,than it was, and seems narrower than on my KPX. It seems a lot rounder from side to side, than the KPX rear tire, but I haven't gauged the KPX tire lately.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:44 AM   #5

Interesting. I hadn't come across that technique while preparing to fix my spokes over Christmas break. I used tire bars (2 24", 2 10") and for my 1st time ever dismounting and remounting a moto tire, everything went smooth. I was surprised. That isn't how things work for me. Typically, if it can go wrong it does.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 03-03-2024, 10:13 AM   #6

The zip tie method is like the motorcycle version of those stupid TikTok "life hacks." Sure, you can bully a tire onto a rim by entombing it in zip ties. But that doesn't help you get the old tire off. Getting the old tire off is the same amount of effort as putting the new tire on, and requires the same number of spoons.

Since you're doing that anyway, just spoon on the new tire and save yourself $4 in zip ties.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:09 AM   #7

Personally I use tire mounting lube these days and I used to use dishwashing soap to mount tires. I would NOT use silicone. Soap dries up to not only cease being a lubricant but gets "sticky" when it dries. Silicone lubes for ever how long it's one there.

IE, put a front tire on your supermoto or whatever using silicone as a lube. Then go break in your new tire with a couple of stoppies. See how that works out for you.
If spinning tires on a rim wasn't a thing there would be no such thing as rim locks. That this guy is dumb enough to spray silicone on a new tire for mounting throws all HIS credibility out the window. Simply more proof that any goober can get in front of a camera and to do and say whatever they want with basically no accountability.

Next time I change a tire I might try the zip ties though.

Last edited by GypsyR; 03-03-2024 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typos

Old 03-03-2024, 11:36 AM   #8

If you have never tried the zip tie method, don't knock it. It works both way. Taking off and reinstalling the tire without spoons. The first time I tried it I was like holy crap, why didn't I know this sooner. This works great for tubed tires. No chance of pinching the tube with the spoons. Dish washing liquid works great and makes the process much easier.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-03-2024, 01:14 PM   #9

Well , I went ahead,and put my front on a while ago. I just used the wide ones from Dollar Tree, that I picked up in town yesterday. I had a harder time using the zip ties on the rear, but on the front it was almost too easy. I only ordered one tube each for the front, and back, and I know myself good enough to know that,if I pinched a new tube, that I would install the old tube with my new tire, and then start regretting it, till I ordered another. I am glad to use $1.25 worth of zip ties as extra insurance against ruining a new tube. I do kinda regret these tires, because I am pretty sure my rear is a little lower profile. The only reason that I really care about a small difference is because my gearing was just right for my needs. I have more power on my motor now, after doing some internal mods, and it ran fast enough for me with 46/16 sprockets, and did climb the real long, and fast hills better, BUT , it can't top them all in 5th. Even though it's not logical, I went to 46/17 to actually make it a little better in those instances, because it was just enough to speed 4th gear up to 55 mph. Either way I'm going to run these till the need replaced.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:54 PM   #10

Hi Bill, where there’s a will there’s a way and you seem too have things figured out for your bike! Great deal!

Old 03-03-2024, 11:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
Hi Bill, where there’s a will there’s a way and you seem too have things figured out for your bike! Great deal!
I did have a chance to put the bike to a little test today, and I am pretty sure the rear tire has very slightly geared me down. I don't feel the difference, but I think the tach runs just a little closer to 8,000 rpm, approaching 70. I don't normally try to run much faster than 55, or 60, so it's not enough to matter. I ran with my phone on GPS Speed O, and the app acted a little sluggish today. When my knobbies were newer, The speed O was basically dead on with GPS, but the last time I used it, it was about 1 mile faster at about 50, and above, and still dead on below. I know my speedO is true, so I normally don't use the GPS app, so it had been a while since I used it. With the new 90/90x21 front, the speed O still reads about perfect, at around 45, or 50, or under, and still reads a mile fast at around 55, and then up about 60, it sometimes reads about 2 mph off, and sometimes 1 off, so I call it off about 1.5 mph at 60 mph, which is plenty accurate enough for me. I did get into some fine gravel today, and really didn't even think about my tires, it just seemed the same. Them 605s are really round on the treads, almost like a street bike tire, but with blocky tread. It definitely leans into a curve more naturally. I caught myself watching my shadow in the curves, and was kinda enjoying it. LOL. These tires will be alright, and probably more sensible than a more aggressive tire , would be for me, but I definitely liked the looks of the knobby tires better.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:28 AM   #12

I tried it. it didn't work so well for me. the next time I get tires, I'm going to get "tube" type tires. I think the tubeless ones are stiffer and don't go on as easy regardless of method. I still have a bunch of large, heavy duty zip ties left, so may give it another try on my next set of tires.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:59 AM   #13

It occurs to me with the zip ties, you are sliding nylon past the rim, not rubber. Seems like you wouldn't need a lubricant at all. My tires are a long way from needing refreshed so it will be who knows how long it would be before I get to test that theory though.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:11 AM   #14

I have used the zip tie method many times on smaller tubeless tires and it works great. The other thing that helps is getting the tire warm and playable. I've not tried it for tires requiring tubes and rimlocks and I'm not even sure how you would do that. For the dirtbikes, I have a guy locally who charges $20 and includes the tube.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:45 PM   #15

Need to try this soon!