Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

Tao Tao 125 (110) won't start

Lots of similar threads, but wasn't able to find one with my specific issues (if there's one, please link it!):

Working on an older Tao Tao 125/110 for a friend. Replaced the carb and some fuel line and it fired right up. Perfect...except there was a bog at WOT unless it was already moving at a pretty decent clip. No worries, adjusted the A/F and idle and everything seemed good. Shut it down, tried to start it again...and nothing. Tested - no spark.

Turned over, but wouldn't fire. No amount of carb adjustment made any difference, so I went in search of other possible causes.

Tracked it down to removing the kill switch wire from the CDI allowed spark and it started right up again (but the only way to shut it down was to pull the spark plug boot, so not a good long-term option).

Went through the kill switches one by one - cleaned up the handlebar kill switch, removed the rear tether kill switch...still a no go unless the wire is remove from the CDI.

Any thoughts? Could it be the ignition switch? Bad CDI? Everything else seems to work just fine, turns over and fires on the first try without the kill switch wire in the CDI...I'm at a loss.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:46 PM   #2

kill switch

do you have a remote fob??? then the kill in turned on,... hit t he unlock button

Old 06-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #3

Head Scratching

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
do you have a remote fob??? then the kill in turned on,... hit t he unlock button
There is a remote unit for it, but they don't have the fob, so I don't believe that's the issue.

I did manage to confuse myself even more just now...so I tested a direct wire from the CDI to the handlebar kill switch - connected it to one wire and tested for spark, and got spark. Then connected it to the OTHER wire, and got spark. My theory had been that one of the wires was grounded out somewhere causing the issue, but getting spark when I'm connected to either wire seems to say that's not accurate, unless there's some sort of intermittent issue that's allowing me to get spark sometimes, which I have read in a couple places happening to other people. Now...I'd just have to figure out which freaking wire is the intermittent one, as the kill switch should be a pretty simple ground/no ground when you switch it, right?

Old 06-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #4

So I think I got it figured out somewhat. I wasn't thinking and didn't have the connector connected for the outcoming wires.

The fix: I have the gray wire from the handlebar killswitch connected as normal, and the yellow wire from the killswitch connected to a new wire that I used to replace the the wire that was going into the CDI. Got spark, and everything seems to work just fine. So, next step is to connect it all up permanently, route the wires properly and get it back to its owner!