Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

Clutch friction plates. Soak or not

I have a CSC RX3 cyclone. Last night I replaced stock clutch friction plates with Barnett plates. Second time in 4,000 miles that my clutch had gone sour. 1st time totally fried then second time started to fry. Assuming second time was clutch. High pitch sound and burning smell. Same symptoms as the first time it totally fried. My mechanic just dipped the Barnett friction and steel plates in oil then installed. Then I rode it about 2 miles. Then today, the CSC head mechanic told me I should have soaked them in oil overnight or at least 4 hours. Did I screw up? Do I need to drain the oil again and soak the plates? Any opinions will help. Assuming I should listen to CSC Gerry, but I called Barnett and they said absolutely no reason to do it all over to not worry about soaking them overnight. Barnett said it will be fine. But am I going to lose longevity. Again, assuming Gerry is correct. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #2

FYI - The 1st 2 stock clutches worked great until I was in Silverton, Co on very aggressive terrain and steep. Now I have better tires, the 13 T front sprocket , 46 rear sprocket and better clutch and springs.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #3

Well, you are correct in assuming CSC knows the bike best, but you called the manufacturer of the clutch plates themselves, and I'd think they know their product best, regardless of the application it's being installed in. I've not done a clutch, but maybe the compound is different, and needs to be dipped and not soaked. I'd not do the job again, although i'd probably worry about it. Someone will be along shortly who knows way more about it than I do.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #4

I've replaced clutch plates in lots of bikes and have always let them soak in clean engine oil for at least an hour. If it's shifting ok and the plates aren't slipping or sticking you are probably fine. If your'e really worried you could always drain off most of the fuel and lay the bike over on the clutch side and let sit for an hour or two. If you care about crash bar nicks and scratches maybe do this in the grass.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 PM   #5

If you have run the engine since replacing the plates, they are now oiled. If you want to simulate the soaking bit, just disengage the clutch overnight. Either pull the lever to the grip & secure (with zip tie, bungee, or cord) or wedge a bit of wood between the opening where the lever and mount meet.

The first clutch getting smoked I understand. On the second one, is there a chance there is not enough free play in the cable?

Old 07-20-2016, 01:45 AM   #6

Thanks.

Thanks all. The second time was after a CSC clutch cable adjustment. He clutch cable had some free play. Both times the clutch was working well. Then something started to fail on a steep rocky incline coming head on to on coming jeeps, jeeps behind me and keeps ahead of me. So had to completely stop on the steeps. Then 1st time the clutch went out quick. Second time, once I heard the familiar noise and smelled the familiar smell, I just made it a point to go like he€€ and not stop on the steeps.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:53 AM   #7

well if they have been in the bike for 24 hours or more..
Then they have now been socked in oil for 24 hours...

In almost 50 years of riding motor bikes I have never
socked fiber plates in oil longer than 30 mins...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 07-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

They are Kevlar. Does that make difference.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #9

I always marinate clutch plates in oil before installation, but I wouldn't take yours apart now. If they grabbed properly without slipping, they're fine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer